Kegging Cider/Backsweeting Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinaeasy

Reaction score
Hi there, I currently have a 5 gallon batch of cider in the carboy fermenting happily at 66 degrees using the Wyeast Cider Yeast.

I am going to give this a month or more to ferment. I want this to be sweet but not sugary, so I want to find a way to back sweeten it that will give me a fruity tasty cider that will serve well out of the keg.

The key is not to let all of the sugar ferment out in the first place. There are different ways you can back sweeten, but nothing that I have found that replaces the last bit of apple sugar that disappears between 1.005 and 1.000

So when I stop the fermentation and put it into the keg, the cold should slow down the fermentation? Should I put any apple concentrate into the mix?

Check the sticky or search on cold crash. You wont need any apple concentrate if you stop the fermentation with the the apple sugar. You can make it as sweet or as dry as you want, but you will have to check the sg regularly as it is dropping

I have backsweeten two ways using concentrate and Splenda. Both where not as tasty as Cvillekevins way. The only thing I didn't do was check the SG after cold crashing. So I never knew what the real ABV was. But it tasted 1000X's better then using splenda.

I got some and stirred it into to a test sample glass once, but it didnt do much to help the batch I was trying to fix. It might be worth trying or maybe mixing with splenda if you want a non-fermentable - it all depends on what is missing in the juice.

Ok Well how long would you recommend letting this batch ferment then Cville? I don't want to be constantly opening up the carboy to thief some cider and risking infection. (i get paranoid about infections). So when would you recommend that I start checking on the gravity?

What are your temps? If you watch the airlock you will see the ferment build for a few days, hold steady and then start to slow down. When it starts to slow down is usually when to check. Sanitize the thief first, it only takes a few seconds to read the sg

With a thief, you take off the airlock with one hand and check the gravity with the other hand. As long as you dont let the airlock touch anything, you just put it back on and your done. Keep a cup next to the carboy so you can drop your theif in it, along some of the cider sample for tasting.

I am fermenting at a cool 66-69 it can fluctuate over the day, depending on the weather. I have used the thief many times before, and never had an infection using the same method you prescribe, I just like to minimize contact as much as possible. So two weeks to three weeks would be a good time if I notice limited activity in the airlock.

I back sweeten with concentrate. I just let the stuff ferment out because I love the higher alcohol content. Then you can control the taste and make something exactly as you like it. I add potassium sorbate (I think that's what it;s called) to kill the yeast then add concentrate to taste. Just had some last night and yowza!

I would check after a week to see how the ferment is going, and based on that, decide when to check it next. When you get close to the terminal sg, you'll want to check every day or every other day until you crash it.

If you sorbate it, I strongly suggest you try a little taste of it first. It will definitely affect the taste of your batch. Some people are OK with the taste, most not. It is easier than crashing but will leave a taste.

I am not going to sorbate it. I will cold crash. I do this all the time for my beers, and I really enjoy the effects on them. I am not overly concerned with the possibility of the yeast continuing to metabolize since I am using a keg for storage. I can easily monitor the situation and release pressure if it builds. I am now in the monitor and taste camp, then cold crash when it is at a desirable condition camp.

If you sorbate it, I strongly suggest you try a little taste of it first. It will definitely affect the taste of your batch. Some people are OK with the taste, most not. It is easier than crashing but will leave a taste.

What kind of off flavors does sorbate add? Can you describe them for me? Thanks! :rockin:

Its sort of a vanilla/nutmeg/something else sort of taste. If you put some off the dry stuff on your tongue, or mix a tiny bit in a glass of cider, thats the taste. It does not fade over time.

Back