I am an IDIOT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeernut

Reaction score
So I stopped by the LHBS yesterday after work to grab some stuff for this weekend. I get home and start talking to my girlfriend as I am putting stuff away. Without thinking I throw my Activator smack pack in the freezer instead of the refridgerator. It just hit me this morning when I was in the shower. I immediately took it out. I brought it with me to work. When it thaws I think I am going to go ahead and smack it and see if I get any swelling. Do you think there are still viable yeast to make a starter or should I just go ahead and take my dumb ass back to the LHBS and get another one?

So I stopped by the LHBS yesterday after work to grab some stuff for this weekend. I get home and start talking to my girlfriend as I am putting stuff away. Without thinking I throw my Activator smack pack in the freezer instead of the refridgerator. It just hit me this morning when I was in the shower. I immediately took it out. I brought it with me to work. When it thaws I think I am going to go ahead and smack it and see if I get any swelling. Do you think there are still viable yeast to make a starter or should I just go ahead and take my dumb ass back to the LHBS and get another one?

You probably just killed all the yeast cells by freezing since (without adding glycerine or something) ice crystals are very sharp and cause cells to rupture. Do you have a dry yeast backup?

Don' t feel too bad...I accidentally threw my wife's 4 years of allergy serum in freezer instead of refrigerator and caused $1,300 damage.

It was Wyeast 1450 - Denny's Favorite 50. No other yeast equivilant. I really want to use this yeast for four beers in a row. What makes matters worse, my LHBS only had one on the shelf. They might have more in stock, just not put out. AHHHH.

Make a starter to try and culture any of the good cells. I forget how many cells are included in a smack pack.. something like 500 million or billion. With that many floating around it's just statistics to assume that a small handful survived the deep freeze.

I think you should be able to make a starter without too many issues. The starter will be slow to start, but should take off after a couple of days on a stir plate. If not then head down to the LHBS and see if they have anymore. If not I have some you can order.

Ed

Back