Barley wine to try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
I want to try a barley wine but anyone who works in a liquor store here drinks more than they sell so they're only familiar with the rocket fuels / solvents in the spirit section. Is there a Barley wine I can buy in stores? Or is the only way to get my hands on any is to make it?

In order of preference, according to sub-category. They tend to be annual releases, so vertical tastings of 'vintages' can be quite enlightening.

American Barleywine:
DuClaw Dragon's Milk
Rogue Old Crustacean
Lagunitas Gnarlywine
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

English Barleywine:
Thomas Hardy
Fuller's Golden Pride
Old Dominion Millenium
Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot

Pike Brewing's Old Bawdy is available in stores...probably only "specialty" grocers and beer stores though. You're not too distant - maybe you can find it in BC?

It's funny, I'm literally just about to do a review of it on my beer blog...

pike_ob.jpg

How about Dogfish's 120 Minute IPA - isn't that really more of a barleywine?

How about Dogfish's 120 Minute IPA - isn't that really more of a barleywine?

More of a paint-stripper really... :cross:

Had a glass the other day. Wow. Bleech! Definately not a barley wine.
I'll stick with their 60 and 90...at least those are still recognizably beer, if maybe a bit on the sweet side.

:D

My favorite barleywines are Anchor Old Foghorn and Real Ale Sisyphus, you should be able to find the Anchor near you.

Old Horizontal (Victory) and Old Howling Bastard (Blue Point) are also barleywines I've enjoyed both for the beer and the name.

IMO, Stone Old Guardian is the Best one I've had so far, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot would be my #2. The others I've tried are Moylan's Blarneywine, Green Flash, Lagunitas Gnarleywine. I hear that North Coast Old Stock is quite tasty.:mug:

Love the Anchor Old Foghorn, had the Mirror Mirror last week and thought it was nice, and you shouldn't miss the Lagunitas Gnarlywine.

My favorites are Anchor Old Foghorn and Avery's Hog Heaven. SN Bigfoot is a little too hoppy for a barleywine to my taste. I'd almost consider it an IIPA.

Back