Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What temp would that be? I will be making this for the upcoming Super Bowl. I plan on fermenting no higher than 68 degrees.

I also plan on making this with all centennial hops. Anybody try this?

You should be ok. Mine hit 74 inside my bucket and had a cider like taste. Keep it in the low end of the ale range for the cleanest taste.

You should be ok. Mine hit 74 inside my bucket and had a cider like taste. Keep it in the low end of the ale range for the cleanest taste.

Yeah you have to be careful with notty yeast. Nottingham yeast like to ferment cool and even sometimes in lager conditions.

Both were a little cidery in my opinion. That is why I was wondering about the yeast. I have not had this problem with other yeasts in the past. This is the only recipe I have used Nottingham. If I brew it again I will definitely use another yeast.

I get a lager flavor when Centennial Blonde is fermented with Nottingham. I don't really care much for it, but my BMC-drinking in-laws like it quite a bit.

Almost in the boil for this recipe. Pre boil gravity came in a little high but so far going good. I'm excited for this quick turn around time batch! Will be served at the super bowl as my neutral non hoppy or porter beer!

I ended up using a re-hydrated packet of us-05. The owner of my LHBS also recommended us-05. There was another guy in the store who said he made 10 gallons of this beer for a birthday party and it was gone before the party ended, he used us-05. So that pretty much made my mind and I used us-05.

I had a long lag time with this yeast. I re-hydrated it and pitched in 60-62 degree wort. It took 18 hours to see signs of fermentation. I normally use liquid yeast with starters and the lag time is just a couple hours. Maybe the wort was too cold. Maybe I shocked the yeast a bit because they were at 80 degrees when I pitched them into 62 degree wort. Either way it all worked out and I can't wait to see how this beer turns out.

The beer should come out around 5.3% ABV because my efficiency was 85%, OG was 1.051. This will be a perfect session beer for the Super Bowl. I held a steady mash of 154 degrees for an hour and batched sparged at 170 degrees. It made for a real simple brew night due to the small grain bill, Less stirring I had to do ;)

Almost in the boil for this recipe. Pre boil gravity came in a little high but so far going good. I'm excited for this quick turn around time batch! Will be served at the super bowl as my neutral non hoppy or porter beer!

I am making this for the Super Bowl too. What do you expect the turn around time will be? Are you bottling or Kegging. If I keg it it will be carbed in 2 days and I can give it a longer primary time. If I bottle it I will have to rush the primary time to maybe 10 days. That should give it plenty of time to carb in the bottle.

What do you think? Maybe 7-10 days primary and 2 weeks bottle conditioning is my guess...The Super Bowl is just right around the corner :mug:

I'm kegging. Planning on 10 days primary and 7 in secondary. Force carbed for 4 days. 21days total left myself a few extra days in case I need more I'm primary. Should be Ready just in time the game.

I am making this as my first brew. I am going the extract version. Will there be any difference between Munson's extra light dme and Briess extra light dme?

Brewed on 12/28, transfered to secondary on 1/7. OG was 1.046, FG(1) was 1.008 after 10 days. Awesome. Tastes fantastic, easy drinking and clean finish with the Nottingham, love it so far! :mug:

Also, for those that are curious, this brew didn't need a blow-off tube. Krausen barely got up to the neck, so for me at least having the tube was just one more thing I didn't need to clean.

I brewed this 12/8- followed exact recipe Nottingham yeast OG. 1.044
It's rocking I hydrated my yeast fermenting at 64.1 degrees Fahrenheit , I believe this is going to be good. Cheers . Thanks OP FOR A GOOD RECIPE!

I'm kegging. Planning on 10 days primary and 7 in secondary. Force carbed for 4 days. 21days total left myself a few extra days in case I need more I'm primary. Should be Ready just in time the game.

Looks like I will be kegging this beer after all. Myself and a couple buddies finished off a keg of holiday beer last night. I am super stoked this beer will be nice and carbonated in time for the game. I also have a black ipa rotting in my closet right now. This will be ready as well in time for the game. Gonna be a fun day for sure :)

This beer is fantastic when kegged

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I just kegged mine first attempt at being this beer... OG was 1.046 and FG was right at 1.008... so it's a bit stronger than what it should be... force carbing it for a guys version of a baby shower on Saturday. Tagged it as I kegged at it was very very smooth.

I made my first batch ever. I think I kinda messed up. After my boil and cool down. I poured it into the fermenting bucket. I ended up with 5 gallons. Should I have added a half a gallon of water or let it be? What will the results be 5 versus 5.5?

I made my first batch ever. I think I kinda messed up. After my boil and cool down. I poured it into the fermenting bucket. I ended up with 5 gallons. Should I have added a half a gallon of water or let it be? What will the results be 5 versus 5.5?

You will have less than 5 gallons but not much.

I just kegged mine first attempt at being this beer... OG was 1.046 and FG was right at 1.008... so it's a bit stronger than what it should be... force carbing it for a guys version of a baby shower on Saturday. Tagged it as I kegged at it was very very smooth.

Have you tasted this beer? I tasted a gravity sample and it tastes like Budweiser. Is that the flavor for this beer? It almost tastes like a crisp lager, such as bud.

I think that's the flavor profile Nottingham gives. I've made this beer a couple of times and every time I make it with Nottingham it has a pretty strong lager flavor. I think I'm going to switch to US-05 next time I brew it.

I think that's the flavor profile Nottingham gives. I've made this beer a couple of times and every time I make it with Nottingham it has a pretty strong lager flavor. I think I'm going to switch to US-05 next time I brew it.

I used US-05 for this batch..

I followed the recipe but used wet centennial hops collected from my garden. I figured multiplying the hop amounts by 6 would compensate for the moisture in the hops and reduced efficiency from the whole hops versus pellets. Finished beer has very little hop flavor, so I will up the dose next time. I would also up the pellet hop dose slightly (by 5-6 IBUs) for next time to give the beer more character and set it apart from BMC.

I understand why we leave out the Vienna in the Extract version, but why is the only steeping grain used the Carapils? Is it not a good idea to use the Crystal 10? I'd like this as close as possible to the AG version.

So I did this recipe again and switched our the pale 2-row for maris otter, that plus my modified hops schedule and this beer is nearly perfect. For a 5.5 gallon batch I had also increased the bittering hop to .50 oz, and next time I'm going to back that down the by about 25%. That with the increased late hop additions and I might have this just where I want it.

I was also considering trying this with WLP090, as I've only used Wyeast 1056 with it so far. 1056 does a good job, but I want to try a yeast that brings the malt forward just a little bit, and I've heard WLP090 fits the bill pretty well for this.

Latest posts

Back