Repitch on Brett cake, and keeping Lacto alive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
I will ferment 2.5 gallons of 1030-1040 wort with Brett. C. (with a proper starter before, from a WL vial). Could I repitch a 1060-1070 wort (i'm thinking maybe 1.5-2 gallons) on the cake, when I rack the first beer off, after 3 or 4 weeks?

Another part of the 1030's wort will be fermented with lactobacillus. Would It be possible to harvest and keet the lacto alive for a few months, so I could reuse it to ferment out my very large crop of hot peppers at the end of summer?

Thanks!

I have repitched on Brett cakes a few times, but IME it takes longer than 3-4 weeks to achieve the Brett character I am looking for.

You can certainly save Lactobacillus, in fact it usually manages a freeze/thaw cycle better than yeast. I would recommend freezing a few small samples of washed cells with some fresh wort and glycerol (aka glycerin) to ensure viability after a few months of storage.

ColoHox said:
I have repitched on Brett cakes a few times, but IME it takes longer than 3-4 weeks to achieve the Brett character I am looking for.

You can certainly save Lactobacillus, in fact it usually manages a freeze/thaw cycle better than yeast. I would recommend freezing a few small samples of washed cells with some fresh wort and glycerol (aka glycerin) to ensure viability after a few months of storage.

More than 4 weeks? I'm talking about a primary ferment with brett, not a secondary.

More than 4 weeks? I'm talking about a primary ferment with brett, not a secondary.

In that case, the bretty characteristics will generally be milder. It'll have its own yeast flavor after a month or so but it won't be what you typically think of as brett. Regardless, it'll be tasty.

In that case, the bretty characteristics will generally be milder. It'll have its own yeast flavor after a month or so but it won't be what you typically think of as brett. Regardless, it'll be tasty.

Yhea I know! That Brett CDA is going to be delicious!

Back