my first beer is nearly done fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagebeer

Reaction score
since i want to drink some and let some condition... can i simply pull half from the fermenter and let the other half sit there? Or will it condition while carbonated in the keg waiting the be drunk so I can have a pint or so now?

If you have a keg setup, save yourself the hassle and just force carb it all. 24 hours at 30PSI, then pull off the gas line, bleed the keg a bit and run again at serving pressure. Should be ready in 2-3 days, maybe 4. Then you can pull off what you want while the rest conditions in the keg.

A grain & extract stout . 10 days fermenting ... my guide says its done at 1.008-1.015 and it is currently at 1.011 with very little activity.

Force carb sounds much faster..... thank you..... a friend told me he just shakes his keg but he doesn't make very good beer so I don't take his advice :)

At 10 days, it might be done fermenting, but it most likely needs some time for the yeast to finish cleaning up after themselves, unless you pitched a large starter or brewed a really low gravity beer... Give it another week or so at least, then go ahead and keg it up. To answer your question, no, it won't keep conditioning, much, once kegged and in the fridge. Fridge temps tend to cause any remaining yeast to drop out of solution and go dormant pretty quickly, so they won't be doing anything for you.

And shaking the keg actually does work to dissolve CO2 faster - I don't quite understand the physics or chemistry involved, but it works.

at 10 days, it might be done fermenting, but it most likely needs some time for the yeast to finish cleaning up after themselves, unless you pitched a large starter or brewed a really low gravity beer... Give it another week or so at least, then go ahead and keg it up. To answer your question, no, it won't keep conditioning, much, once kegged and in the fridge. Fridge temps tend to cause any remaining yeast to drop out of solution and go dormant pretty quickly, so they won't be doing anything for you.

And shaking the keg actually does work to dissolve co2 faster - i don't quite understand the physics or chemistry involved, but it works.

^ +1

Twistr is right. Fridge temps will slow conditioning to a CRAWL, if not stop it outright. That being said, however, you can keg condition at room temps just fine.

I don't have a fridge because (I know this is weird) I usually drink my beer at room temp or just below. So I fill a frozen growler and then poor from there or frozen mug. Just below room temp - perfect every time :)

Then you can have the best of both worlds. You can keg and carb up, start pouring now, and every day's pour will be better than the last.

Interesting... How do you carbonate in your keg? Do you keg condition (using priming sugar), or use CO2? If CO2, at room temp, what kind of pressure do you need to use to get it to carbonate? I've got a 5lb cylinder and a second regulator that I've used, at times, to try to carbonate an extra keg before I have room in the kegerator, and I've found even at 20psi for 2 weeks I don't get very significant amounts of carbonation outside the kegerator...

Back