Where do I begin???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubfan716

Reaction score
I've been interested in home brewing for quite some time now and decided I'm going to start.
I've never done it before (obviously), and haven't done a whole lot of research into it besides a quick google search that led me here.
Can anyone offer me any tips on what to do to begin? What do I need, where do I go?
Are there any websites besides this one with info I need? Are there any books for purchase out there that anyone recomends?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm excited to get started, but don't know what/how, etc.

Thanks!!!!

Welcome to the forums! :mug:

You can also look for the papazian book on ebay, I got mine there for $0.99 plus shipping.

Also, start watching craigslist for brewing kits. Or you can reasearch the major online stores, austin home brew, northern brewer, midwest supplies, and see which of their kits you like best.

After you get a good knowledge base and find the equipment you want, pick a recipe kit at one of the above stores and go for it. I have only had expirence with austin home brew, and they have been awesome. Their kits have great instructions and quality ingredents. They are also having a big sale today that you might want to check out.

Solid recommendations above. I'd also suggest spending a LOT of time reading this forum. Read the new posts, read the stickies on all forum topics, and above all - don't be afraid to ask questions!

We were all noobs at some point, most people here are more than willing to help.

I started brewing a couple of months ago. I learned on this website only. There's more than enough experience on this forum. Where do you live? If your in the Massachusetts area you can try Beer and wine hobby. They are really good and helped me alot. But I couldn't have done it without the guys on this site..

I just brewed my 4th batch today..It's a blast...Go for it..:rockin:

homebrewer_99 said:
I'd say he's from IL...Cub fan???;)

So, where are you hailing from nowadays?

Everyone has given you good advice so far...and welcome!!:D

That's funny, i didn't even notice..

Hey HB99, here's a question for ya. What are all the numbers next to your homebrew beers?

I'm brand new as well and the first thing I learned was that I had to slow myself down and read...alot. I have found this website to be a wealth of info and the more I read the more I understand - general concepts, terminology, the basics.

For me, half the fun is the learning curve and I had to remind myself that before I went crazy and bought more toys than what I need at this point. So I purchased a basic starter kit at my local home brew shop (approx. $100 - just about every online and B&M store have something similar) and ordered this book online "How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time (Paperback) by John J. Palmer (Author) - Referenced countless times in my research of this hobby (illness). I brewed my first extract brew last night, and went shopping for another carboy today!

Since I don't really know what I'm doing myself yet, the best advice I can offer is don't get overwhelmed, bookmark this site and start reading through one post at a time!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info everyone, I appreciate it.
I can see I have my work cut out for me.
There's lots to read, research, etc. and I'm really looking forward to it!
And yes, I am from Illinois, Northern Suburbs of Chicago. Practically in Wisconsin.

cubfan716 said:
Thanks for all the info everyone, I appreciate it.
I can see I have my work cut out for me.
There's lots to read, research, etc. and I'm really looking forward to it!
And yes, I am from Illinois, Northern Suburbs of Chicago. Practically in Wisconsin.
Its really not that hard, don't get intimidated by the details. If you're using extract as long as you can keep things clean, don't drink the beer too early, don't follow idiotic extract kit instructions and keep the temperature steady at vaguely the right range you'll end up with pretty good beer without too much effort.

Back