I made a slurry starter - was that a mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unibrow

Reaction score
I just bottled a wit made with WLP 400 - I saved about 1 cup of the yeast cake from the primary bucket into a glass jar. The cake was clean of sediment and my sanitation was impeccable.

Planning to brew another wit tomorrow. Many people say I can just pitch the 1 cup of fresh slurry into the wort.

For some reason, I decided I wanted a starter. So I made a standard 500ml starter (2 cups of boiled water with 1/2 cup light DME) and added the 1 cup of yeast slurry.

This quick starter was probably unnecessary, but will it hurt me in any way? I figure that I'd be pitching the 1 cup of yeast slurry anyway...so why not make the slurry into "super starter slurry"? Thanks for your help!

Thanks BBL! This is my first time re-using yeast, so of course, I'm stressing out over minor details. I just figured making a starter makes more sense than pitching a cup of plain ol' yeast slurry.

Quick update - the 500ml starter is already producing 1 inch of foam after about 1 hour...so it looks like the starter is kicking into high gear. I'm going to pitch the entire 500ml, without doing a decant, tomorrow.

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Latest posts

Back