Newbie Kegging Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
Just started kegging this week. I have a wheat beer and a root beer in kegs. Just kegged the root beer last night. I have converted a chest freezer with temp control. Last night pressure was fine and root beer would dispense when warm. This morning there is plenty of pressure on root beer (25 psi) but it wont dispense. Beer will dispense with much fury. Is something clogging my dip tube? Will rootbeer freeze on the bottom Temp in mid 30s?

An unrelated stupid question. I bought the kegging setup from a guy on ebay. The ebay ad said 5# co2 tank. the Tank has "3 Lbs." engraved on the side. I have not even seen a #3 available only 2.5. Do I have a 3# or a 5#?

3 lbs is the tare weight, that's what the tank weighs when empty. The 5# refers to how much it will hold.
You'll always know how much C02 you have left if you weight the tank and subtract 3#.

Where are you getting a reading on that temperature? mid 30's at the top of the freezer could mean low 30's at the bottom.

Thanks for the replys.

That was my concern. I have me temp control set at about 35 and the therm sitting on top of one ket reads about 37. With a freezer the walls are obviously colder than the middle. Maybe I froze the bottom of the root beer keg, but not cold enough to freeze the beer keg?

Back