Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to register just to add my two cents:

Cook's Light is the worst beer ever made. It was forged deep in the heart of Mt. Doom, its pale yellow color only hinting at the horrors within. The beeradvocate review isn't much nicer:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/410/40782

Even worse, I drank one warm. Any other beer, with any flavor at all doesn't even come close to the calamity in a can that is Cook's Light.

I had to register just to add my two cents:

Cook's Light is the worst beer ever made. It was forged deep in the heart of Mt. Doom, its pale yellow color only hinting at the horrors within. The beeradvocate review isn't much nicer:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/410/40782

Even worse, I drank one warm. Any other beer, with any flavor at all doesn't even come close to the calamity in a can that is Cook's Light.

For some reason seeing the word calamity in print made me think of Clamato.....so anybdy ever try Bud Light with Clamato? Sounds gross

My worst experience in recent memory is with Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager.

It smells like cheese and it has a finish that tastes like fruity pebbles or Cap'n Crunch-crunch berry cereal.

Very artificial strawberry taste. Thankfully I only purchased one bottle but I still ended up dumping it.

Abita-Strawberry-Lager.jpg

Worst ever was a bottle of Michelob that had been sitting under the rear window of a Mustang GT in the middle of summer. It was about 90 degrees, and tasted like rubbing alcohol... I suppose it wasn't the beers fault, but that has stuck in my beer memory permanantly. Yechhh!

White frog ale, It has way to much going on with it, simple is better. Coriander, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and ginger in one beer no thanks

Six pack of Iron City beer bought in Davis West Virginia. We'd been riding fire trails all day and sent a guy into town to get us some beer. He came back with the Iron City and after a few swallows each we threw it into the ditch & road home.

Natty ice. Tried it about three months ago out of morbid curiosity at a friend's house

If my tongue had a rape whistle it would have blown it

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale about 7 years ago was the only beer I have ever not been able to get down. My neighbor bought a 6 pack, tried one and brought the rest to me. I couldn't even drink one. I gave the other 4 to 4 seperate people and none got past the first sip. All I can figure is it was treated badly before I got it.

Runner up was the 2008 SN Celebration ale. I bought a case since I can't get it where I live and tried on 3 seperate occassions to drink it. None of my friends could drink it either. Made me sad cause I like most other SN offerings.

I know people bash BMC, but I think they have their place. I think there is a big difference between cheap beer and crap beer. If I go to someone's house and they offer me a Coors light, I wouldn't turn it down. It just tastes like water to me.

Tried Sam Adam's Imperial Stout and dumped it. Maybe not the worst but it was recommended by a buddy of mine who usually recommends stuff I like so it was a major disappointment. Anyone else try this? I won't be too surprised if it's just me, been enjoying the hoppier side of things lately.

I recently had a Middle Ages barleywine which was the first beer i ever dumped.

I have tried a few beers from Davidson Brewing since it is local for me and they all were incredibly bad. There were so bad i chose to have some bud over them.

It is a pale ale called "Rose Petal Beer." I was expecting rose petals, or rosewater hints to a solid pale ale. Instead it tasted like rotting plant material mixed with the taste of fresh cut grass. SWMBO and I tried it, and we both agreed to dump the narsty stuff.

I recently had a Middle Ages barleywine which was the first beer i ever dumped.

I have tried a few beers from Davidson Brewing since it is local for me and they all were incredibly bad. There were so bad i chose to have some bud over them.

That's interesting, every beer from both Davidson and Middle Ages breweries is either A or B rated on BeerAdvocate. I haven't had any of their offerings, but I wonder if you just got an old/infected/bad batch or something?

I got an abysmal couple of packs of Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat one time. Most over carbonated beer I have ever seen.

Probably not the worst tasting I've had, but probably the biggest disappointment.

worst commercial beer? geez, they all taste pretty much like water, so what's not to like? on a hot summer day they all drink pretty easy.

the worst beer i've ever tried was from a small brewery in Washington - it was a smoky porter. blech! don't want to say the name of the brewery or beer because, hey, some people like it!

That's interesting, every beer from both Davidson and Middle Ages breweries is either A or B rated on BeerAdvocate. I haven't had any of their offerings, but I wonder if you just got an old/infected/bad batch or something?

That was my first beer from Middle Ages so im not sure about anything else they make.

From Davidson ive had the Oatmeal stout on tap and I thought it was a high abv beer since there was a huge alcohol taste but its only 4.5%. Then i had a six of their IPA and that was barely drinkable with no discernible hop flavor/aroma or any sort of bitterness, it was just super dry with minimal flavor. Id like to try them again to see if the beers are any different.

It's a tie...

1) Harpoon Winter Warmer in 2008. I was at my local college bar which had 32 ounce mugs and you could select from 40 beers on tap. I figured it being cold outside warranted one of these... I should have tasted beforehand because I literally had to go back to the bar and ask him to dump my mug :(

2) Samichlaus. BLECH. Granted, I first tasted it when my palate wasn't as refined as it is now. But still... the thought of that syrupy, syrupy beer just makes me retch.

CaptainCoconut said:
Maybe not the worst I've ever had, but what sticks in my mind as the worst is Schmidt aka Animal Beer. I remember it was about $3-4 a 12-pack. Not good beer.

Don't knock the Deer Beer man! That got me through college. The code for going drinking was, "Let's go shoot some deer!"
Anyway, worst beer ever was Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss. Tasted like someone took a Schmidt's that had been rolling around their trunk all summer and dumped a cheap wine cooler into it! Only beer I couldn't finish.

Anybody ever try EKU 28. Had it in Germany in the 80's. Meh!! Tasted like someone mxed Log Cabin syrup with grain alcohol.

In the midwest we have gas stations named Kum n Go and they have a private label malt liquor named Hiland Reserve. It is the nastiest "beer" I have tasted in my entire life.

Alright, I guess I have to retract this statement. Hiland Reserve is a nasty nasty beer but I have found something worse. Brau Brothers Scotch Ale. It smells of smoke and band aids and it tastes the same. This is one incredibly poor version of a scotch ale. I'm dumping it out as soon as I finish typing this. At least I finished Hiland Reserve.

Anybody ever try EKU 28. Had it in Germany in the 80's. Meh!! Tasted like someone mxed Log Cabin syrup with grain alcohol.

A friend of mine brought me one back from Germany (I was in England at the time). Also in the 80's. I remember back then, it was the strongest beer available.

Yes very alcoholic tasting and powerful. Not bad though, in my opinion when you consider the niche it was trying to hit. I think the "28" refers to the alcohol percentage.

Michelob Ultra. Only 12-pack I have ever bought sipped and dumped without getting through one beer. Bought that when it first came out and obviously have never sipped it again. I still give it an angry look whenever I see a bottle....

For the big boys I'd say MGD 64.
For the micros it would have to be Sam Adams Summer Ale. HORK!! How can people LOVE this beer so muck???? I just don't get it.

Long legs means more room for beer!

I have to agree with a few previous posts that Olympia was awful. I think it tasted better coming back up than it did going down.

Another is Hamm's Special Light. I think the "Special" was for the Special Ed class that developed the recipe. I had a friend whose mother used to drink that swill. In all the years that I spent over at his house I stole exactly one can of that crap. Couldn't even finish the can.

But probably the worst concoction that I've ever had the misfortune of pouring down my throat is Rainier. To this day, I am convinced that this beer was developed and marketed by the Dept. of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in an attempt to curb underage drinking in Washington State. It worked for me on many occasions. I don't think I ever got an entire can down. That putrid abomination was heavily advertised in Eastern Washington while I was in high school and often was the only beer available at parties. You can't be choosy when others are buying your booze, but if that was all that was available that night, I would "Just say NO". There were many nights I went home sober rather than submit myself to that hell. I think many people's prayers were answered the day that beer was finally put out of it's misery.

Haven't browsed through the whole thread, but a few off hand:

Shorts Spruce: IPA, or something like that. Tasted like a Christmas tree, really..
Shorts Wizard: Straight up raisin and poo. Ugh.
Wild Blue: TERRIBLE!
Hurricane High Gravity: Needed to get the job done after a bad day, ended up puking about half way through it. Terrible!
Red Dog: Same as before. Sip aaaand pour down the drain.
Steel Reserve: Same.. as.. before? I think I need a new job. Sip aaaand pour.
Left Hand: Pepper Beer I believe? Tasted like peppery water.

All I can think of offhand.

Haven't browsed through the whole thread, but a few off hand:

Shorts Spruce: IPA, or something like that. Tasted like a Christmas tree, really..
Shorts Wizard: Straight up raisin and poo. Ugh.
Wild Blue: TERRIBLE!
Hurricane High Gravity: Needed to get the job done after a bad day, ended up puking about half way through it. Terrible!
Red Dog: Same as before. Sip aaaand pour down the drain.
Steel Reserve: Same.. as.. before? I think I need a new job. Sip aaaand pour.
Left Hand: Pepper Beer I believe? Tasted like peppery water.

All I can think of offhand.

You need a stronger stomach if Hurricane makes you puke.:D That beer sucks but it's not vomit inducing (close but not quite).

Wild Blue blueberry lager, hands down. It is the only beer I have not been able to finish. If I had realized it was a blueberry beer, I never would have bought one bottle, let alone a six pack. I've even tried to give it to ladies who like fruity drinks, and they've hated it too. It is NASTY.

Back