A storing my beer in the secondary in an area that is too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchusuga

Reaction score
My house thermostat is set to 62 during the day while we're gone. The room I have my carboy in is probably a couple degrees colder than that. Will that have any negative effect? It's been in the secondary since Saturday and I plan on dry hopping this weekend for another couple of weeks.

as long as it was primaried at a decent temp and fermented out first, the secondary temp being low should only help in settling out the crud.

My house thermostat is set to 62 during the day while we're gone. The room I have my carboy in is probably a couple degrees colder than that. Will that have any negative effect? It's been in the secondary since Saturday and I plan on dry hopping this weekend for another couple of weeks.

Do you know what Yeast you used ?

Hopefully so, in which case just go to the manufacturer's website and you can get all the specifics as to temperatures the yeast thrives in.

Otherwise, there are about a dozen critical pieces of information you have not provided, and nobody can answer this vague question, or questions.

Do you know what Yeast you used ?

If it's in the secondary, and fermentation is complete, the yeast type won't really matter. Most ale yeasts will ferment at 62, so you're almost certainly safe in the secondary. If you get it even cooler (you may have heard the term "cold crash", which is essentially chilling the beer below 50F to get the yeast to drop quicker and clear up the beer) it'll clear faster. Either way, 62 for an ale is almost certainly safe, regardless of whether or not fermentation is 100% complete. Check your hydrometer though!

It's WL002 English Ale Yeast. It's my first batch, so I didn't even think about this having an effect until after racking to secondary. It was warmer in the primary, but I don't know the exact temperature.

Back