Chill time versus hop flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppysailor

Reaction score
I've brewed Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale four times now. The first two kegs are long gone, the third is on tap, and the fourth is being dry hopped as you read this. The batch that is on tap right now has decidedly more hop flavor (dare I say almost too much) than the first two, even though the recipes were the same and the hops came from the same shipment. The only difference I can come up with is that the batch that we are drinking was chilled in about half the time. I use an immersion chiller and up till now would stir only occasionally. It would take close to 40 minutes to chill to about 60 degrees. This last time, I stirred nearly continuously while chilling and got down to 60 in 15-20 minutes. Is it reasonably to believe that faster chilling will increase hop flavor dramatically?

Yes, flavor and aroma are a balancing act between oil extraction and cook-off. Faster cooling means less loss of the most volatile aroma oils.

It's amazing the difference in the two beers. I'm hoping that maybe the hop flavor won't fade as fast either.

That's interesting, as I find the opposite is true for aroma. Meaning I get tonnes of hop aroma when I cool down slowly (but now that I think about it the hop flavour on those beers was less than expected). In the summer months it takes me about 40 minutes. In the winter about 25.

Back