Columbus, OH area House Hunting Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:ban:

So, more than likely my work will relocate me to Marysville area before the end of this year. I have been looking around at houses and I was just curious if anyone who lived in or around that area can give me some good advice on towns to live in that are nicely maintained ( i wont get broke into ) and no so rediculously expensive.

My target is to spend less that 125,000 on a new house (assuming I ever get to sell mine) and so far I have been eyeballing, Hilliard, Marysville, and Deleware... are there any better options?

I dont have to be in a larger city, im from a small town myself so I will be fine as long as im within 15 minutes or so from civilization. ( close to a homebrew store would be nice too! )

At that price range you're probably going to be looking at a 20+ year old, 2/3 bedroom 1-1.5 bath home that likely needs some work.

I'd be surprised if you can even find *anything* in Hilliard at that price.

With the price of gas being what it is I'd focus on finding something in Marysville first before you branch out to Delaware, Marion, Bellefontaine, etc. All of which are good places to live if you ask me. This area in general is pretty affordable and there's quick access to just about anything you want in Columbus.

You must work for Honda, eh? I'm up in Marion and there are a lot of people who make the trek to Marysville or East Liberty everyday.

Someone is having a beer meet in Delaware soon......... I'd move to Delaware. Never seen the place, or even the 100 mile radius, but Delaware sounds nice. It has a beer meet soon! :)

Delaware! :D

If you prefer small towns Then stay outside the 270 loop, generally speaking. I don't think there is anywhere on the NW side I would worry about safety too much. The south, east, and campus areas are the bad spots from my experience living in of them... Dublin and Hilliard have high (for the county) taxes, Marysville is really booming, and real estate is available. If I didn't work in South Hilliard I would live around there. That is a 25-30 min commute for me. Which you now have to figure is another 2-300 bucks per month could be going toward the house. Delaware is a nice little burb with a cool downtown however far from the city. If you are working in M-ville it may be a good choice. SOB lives in D-town, try PMing him. SWMBO and I are around the same price range, currently looking to move up from an apt. Happy to hear you'll be coming over to the Capitol City!

Zillow.com is the best free real estate sire I have found. realquest.com is great to see forclosures and pre-forclosures (read: huge discount) but the site is $40/mo...

I work for a company that works for honda. They just opened a design office in marysville last year.. now there trying to move more of our people over there so they dont have to pay us travel benefits when we have to travel (which is all the time)

Thanks for the advice. Ill see what they offer me as far as salary goes.. my company is pretty tight and if they dont offer me enough to cover the increased living expenses then ill just stay here and look for another job.

I work for a company that works for honda. They just opened a design office in marysville last year.. now there trying to move more of our people over there so they dont have to pay us travel benefits when we have to travel (which is all the time)

Thanks for the advice. Ill see what they offer me as far as salary goes.. my company is pretty tight and if they dont offer me enough to cover the increased living expenses then ill just stay here and look for another job.

Well I hope it works out for you. Remember you can save those mileage checks for a down payment! It's 58.5 cents/mile now, you know. Unless you have a 3/4 ton dually pick-em-up truck, you should come out ahead.

I live in an area of North Columbus called Clintonville. It is up High Street north of OSU, quick access to I-71 or Rt 315. Houses in my areas were built from 1920's to post WWII. I've been here 14 yrs.

Schools, Hospital, Churches, shopping and nice parks all very close by. Most homes are between 1400 and 2500 SF. Property taxes are Columbus which are much lower than surrounding suburbs with all the new development costs and new schools.

Someone stole a ladder out of my front yard once but that is my only experience with scofflaws.

For your consideration :mug:

JW

heh i think im just paranoid about people breaking into my house.. ive never really lived in a city with more than 10k people in it, except when i was in college. Ideally Id have quick access to 33 as the place i work will be on the 36 Exit on the east side of Marysville.

So other than OSU what places in the general area offer a 4 year in mechanical engineering? I want to finish my bachelors while im up there.

My Sister and Brother in Law live in Deleware Oh. I have visited many times, and its really a cool little town. It has a neat little main street area for stores and bars and such. its an easy commute to columbus.

Latest posts

Back