Gotta love Al Gore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, but Bill, Shaq, and Arnold are not pointing the finger at the public preaching green. They just have an extravagant lifestyle because they can, that's all.

True but, Gore has a bigger house because he can as well. If he is using energy efficient things then the hypocrite argument does not work. He is doing what he says, he just lives on a larger scale then the rest of us so of course he is going to use more. This is essentially comparing apples to tomatoes. If you really want to do a study on this you have to use external and internal variables that are comparable, this would then give this study or anyones for that matter validity. This study doesn't and that is sad to see from an independant think tank. So instead compare his house to Bush's, Shaq's and Bill Gates. Most of us and our homes don't fall into that scale. what the article does say is that he has started using many of the things he is preaching for so how is that hypocritical. The study has not looked at the history of his homes either, another fault in statistics. Has his usage increased since his updates or has it decreased, it doesn't tell us. We have nothing to compare it to within it's own family. All this study says is how much he use's and from that they are skewing the findings to conform to what they want. Hypocritical would be preaching and then using coal, non efficient forms or energy and turning the AC on while the windows are open.

I didnt see anything about cost with the Bush house, so how do we know how much he is spending. Maybe it's a bunch more???? The post Ed made regarding the two homes, is itself stating two different things. On one hand it is telling us how much Gore spends, while at the same time telling us what Bush did, not what he spends. It should tell us what they both spend and what they both use, then it could be valid.

Also he isn't just preaching "green" about homes but about companies and they way we pollute the earth. While I agree with everyones thoughts that he is somewhat contradictive, I also agree with what he says and see where the difference lies.

There ya go Evan!

Yeah, if EdWort's latest political dig doesn't turn into a flame war and get closed, he's gonna be upset!

Just another note on this debate, Gore's usage actually went down last year: http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2008/06/gore_decrease_his_energy_usage.php

As for making misleading statements and using false propaganda, you've just described every blog, political hack...er...commentator, and major media outlet in America. Both sides do this on every issue, every chance they get. There's not an honest one in the bunch.

eh, between Al Gore inventing the internet, finding ManBearPig (for those who don't know, it's half man, half bear and half pig) and then this crap about global warming (which is happening on all of the planets...hello, the sun is going to blow up in about 13 billion years or something)....he's pretty much dead to me....except it is pretty funny to read about stuff like this

disclaimer: post was supposed to be humerous and fun :) :ban:

eh, between Al Gore inventing the internet, finding ManBearPig (for those who don't know, it's half man, half bear and half pig) and then this crap about global warming (which is happening on all of the planets...hello, the sun is going to blow up in about 13 billion years or something)....he's pretty much dead to me....except it is pretty funny to read about stuff like this

disclaimer: post was supposed to be humerous and fun :) :ban:

Dude, how can it be 1/2 man, 1/2 bear and 1/2 pig??? Wouldnt that make it 1 and 1/2 being?? :D

Trying to get myself banned here: But while on the topics of hypocrisy...why is it that you Ed can post these politically attacking/flaming style threads and everyone else gets warned or locked up after a page or two? I think this is the third or fourth thread in the last month or two that fits snuggly in with the other right-wing stuff my grandfather sends me everyday.

Yes, it's rather stupid what Gore's up to, but why is it necessary in this forum?

Trying to get myself banned here: But while on the topics of hypocrisy...why is it that you Ed can post these politically attacking/flaming style threads and everyone else gets warned or locked up after a page or two? I think this is the third or fourth thread in the last month or two that fits snuggly in with the other right-wing stuff my grandfather sends me everyday.

Yes, it's rather stupid what Gore's up to, but why is it necessary in this forum?

Hey hey hey, careful. We certainly don't want this thread being locked. I don't think we want to see you banned either.:D

I just don't get it. I mean, there's nothing new here. People have been talking Gore and his "wasteful" ways for years now. I don't understand what the continued obsession is. If you're trying to stir the pot, isn't there something NEW to talk about?

I would not disagree with you.

I just don't get it. I mean, there's nothing new here. People have been talking Gore and his "wasteful" ways for years now. I don't understand what the continued obsession is. If you're trying to stir the pot, isn't there something NEW to talk about?

Sure, Britney "the whooare" Spears. Her dad is trying to sell her house. Tiger is out for the rest of the year. The NBA fixes it's games. On the CNN ticker: "Michelle Obama "touched" by Laura Bush." OOO lala I wonder what that looked like.

I would be fine if the guy from Connecticut and Tennessee went away, but that is me. I am not sure how it is in other states, but in California, most if not all of the major utilities do not pay for excess power being fed back into the grid. They did away with that a while ago, now all they offer is "net metering"...and don't think they are paying you peak rates. We just went through a 3 month expedition for a 80Kwh array on an office building we have under construction. There are plenty of scams out there and the utilities are not dumb.

The best one I found was when I gave our rep from PG&E (our utility) some addresses of buildings we have. ALL of them were on the standard rate they put commercial users on when you call and ask for power. Guess what? If you are a big user, you pay less, a lot less. All of our buildings moved to bulk user programs and are not saving at least20% over what we were paying. We are talking about four and five digit annual savings on each property...nutso.

Gore is a scammer, W is a scammer, PG&E is a scammer, and the media is made up of scammers. It would be nice if someone actually did what is best for the country (the people who live here) for a change.

I leave town for a few days, so I thought I'd drop an interesting chit chat thread for folks to chew on. Looks good so far. :D

Again, this is Chit Chat. No flames here, just pointing hypocrisy. AlGore is rumored to be attending NHC since Tipper has a thing for Apfelwein. His Gulfstream jet leaves a huge carbon footprint (if you can call it that), but not to worry, he buys carbon offesets for it to assuage his guilt(he buys them from himself, money from one pocket to another, what a scam) and the guilt of the followers of his religion.

Ya'll enjoy the chit chat. I'm off to registration at NHC, then the BJCP Judges reception. :D :mug:

Gore is a scammer, W is a scammer, PG&E is a scammer, and the media is made up of scammers. It would be nice if someone actually did what is best for the country (the people who live here) for a change.

You am smart

I agree that too many threads get locked up when they really are not a problem, and no one is seriously flaming anyone.

The only time I feel a thread should get locked, is when it gets PERSONAL. Sort of like this one just did when you singled out one user and not only his thread, but his general attitude (or shlt stirring as the case may be). I am guilty of this in the past as well, when I singled out one user and attacked his comments by name... and I fully expected the thread to get locked and possibly get a spanking from the mods..

Obviously, threads with spam or unaccpetable topics or content should be banned as well.

You are correct. I have fixed my post.

But still that is an insane amount of food. Just think of all of the food I eat in a year and how many people it could feed in a month.

Yeah.. all that food might feed Al Gore for a week!:mug:

Seriously though. He's put on a LOT of weight.... it just adds to the "Rich White Glutton" image, and he should be trying to change his image in the opposite direction.

the "Rich White Glutton" image

rush2.jpg

gore_farm_sm.jpg

House #1 A 20 room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house, all heated by gas. In one month this residence consumes more energy than ! the ave rage American household does in a year. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400. In natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not situated in a Northern or Midwestern "snow belt" area. It's in the South.

bush_ranch_sm.jpg

House #2 Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university. This house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house is 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on a high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds ; geothermal heat-pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer! The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas and it consumes one-quarter electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Surrounding flowers and shrubs native to the area enable the property to blend into the surrounding rural landscape.

~~~~~
HOUSE #1 is outside of Nashville , Tennessee ; it is the abode of the "environmentalist" Al Gore;

HOUSE #2 is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas ; it is the residence the of the President of the United States , George W. Bush.

An "inconvenient truth".

To be honest I didn't read many of the comments because I don't really care one way or the other. I am going to contribute as a proofreader and say that the picture shown above is not Al Gore's house (or it was, but he has a new one and it's the new one people rag on). His house is this: http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070521/070521_carbonCredits_hmed5p.hmedium.jpg
If you have google earth you can look him up at 36° 6'50.06"N 86°50'50.13"W.

Carry on.

The only time I feel a thread should get locked, is when it gets PERSONAL. Sort of like this one just did when you singled out one user and not only his thread, but his general attitude (or shlt stirring as the case may be). I am guilty of this in the past as well, when I singled out one user and attacked his comments by name... and I fully expected the thread to get locked and possibly get a spanking from the mods..

Generally speaking, this is my philosophy and I've tried to be consisent about it. In addition, if the thread is abour beer or brewing and things get uncontrollably off topic, I will act accordingly.

Finally, breaking Godwins law will cause me to close a thread.

isn't there something NEW to talk about?

BierMuncher has ugly junk....oh wait....that has been covered

OH WAIT! He has what appears to be some nasty beer in the fridge....oh wait....that's been covered too

Evan! likes to debate with people....damn, covered too

ummmm, Jester has a sexy keezer!

Ok, I got nothing :D

Ya know, if Al wanted to go all green for real (and I think he does), he would need to build a house that looks like a hobbit house or teletubbies house, that is built in the ground and uses geo-thermal energy or wind power for the thing. Problem is, he's married. Not only is he married, but he is married to someone (Tipper) who likes to be in the uppercrust of society. If he were to move into the hobbit house (binky's roommate anyone?), he would surely be divorced. I live less than 10 miles from Mr. Gore and my daily usage is somewhere around 140kW a day.

Ya know, if Al wanted to go all green for real (and I think he does), he would need to build a house that looks like a hobbit house or teletubbies house, that is built in the ground and uses geo-thermal energy or wind power for the thing. Problem is, he's married. Not only is he married, but he is married to someone (Tipper) who likes to be in the uppercrust of society. If he were to move into the hobbit house (binky's roommate anyone?), he would surely be divorced. I live less than 10 miles from Mr. Gore and my daily usage is somewhere around 140kW a day.

Dude I saw one of those underground houses on Extreme Home Makeover the other week. People in it were suffering Radon poisoning. Be careful with that.

Regularly starting trolling threads to instigate political controversy seems a conflict of interest for a moderator.

At the very least, it diminishes respect of many readers for the OP.

I'd love to live in a 75% self suffcient house....meaning between beer, water, energy and food....obviously the beer part would be 100%, so I could then buy 50% of my food.....and produce 100% of my own energy, and buy 50% of my water....nope I've never thought about this before :)

Regularly starting trolling threads to instigate political controversy seems a conflict of interest for a moderator.

At the very least, it diminishes respect of many readers for the OP.

Awww, I had fun:D

As to the ethics/ wisdom of starting and participating in these threads, it was all pretty well debated here.

All said and done, the debates here tend to run just a hair more civilized than in the general populace.
By and large, this country is forgetting how to debate. With just a few ground rules, and the right attitude, political debate is one of the most enriching activities you can do. If we are ever going to reclaim this country from its current state, we will all need to sharpen our skills. Even if the start of the conversation is a biased piece of crap, the process of pointing out why it is crap is valuable.
A little humor interspersed is good too.

oh yeah, write in Ron Paul!

Who gives a rats a@#. I personally would love to hear if gore stuck his hand in one of the electrical sockets in his house......Now thats news!!!! Love political post

Well thank god Al Gore has a fancy house. I guess that means everything he says is wrong and we can stop worrying about global warming! WHEW!

Back