Cyser Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbarrel

Reaction score
Hello all! I started a cyser about two months ago (my second attempt at making mead) and the FG seems to have stopped at 1.040. It's sweet but not cloyingly so (to me) but I'm worried that the taste will sweeten more with age.

I used:
Lalvin ICV D-47
6lb. Orange Blossom Honey
2 gallons of pressed apple cider from a local orchard
yeast nutrient and energizer (staggered)
and a bit of irish moss.
OG: 1.120
FG: 1.040

It's been at a steady 1.040 for a good few days now but in researching online, that seems to be really high and possibly very sweet/bad over time. Is there something I should do/should have done?

If anyone needs more info, please feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance!

Fermentation temperature and pH would be good to know.

It looks like you are at about 12% ABV, and Lalvin ICV D-47 has an acohol tolerance of 14%, so it should be good for a couple more ABV percents.

Fermentation temperature and pH would be good to know.

It looks like you are at about 12% ABV, and Lalvin ICV D-47 has an acohol tolerance of 14%, so it should be good for a couple more ABV percents.

I tried to keep the temp in the mid-70's+ but it did get rather cold in the house a few nights. The pH i'm not sure about. My noob is showing there.

I tried to keep the temp in the mid-70's+ but it did get rather cold in the house a few nights. The pH i'm not sure about. My noob is showing there.

Try warming it up to the mid 70's again and keeping it there. Wrapping a large blanket around it at night should help to keep the warmth in. If the SG doesn't drop in the next couple of days after warming it up, then I would recomend getting pH strips to test that the pH isn't too low. (it should be above 3.2)

You've been giving it staggered nuetrience, so that shouldn't be an issue. If it isn't the temperature or the pH then I am not sure what the problem would be. Get back to me and let me know how it goes!

Good luck!

Oh and try giving it a gentle stir to degas it. Trapped CO2 can cause the pH to drop. If you see bubbles released when you stir it, then keep stiring until they are gone. (but be careful not to stir it too vigeriously, you don't want to oxidize it)

D47 and honey based musts are fine but ferments over 70F have been found to produce fusels.

70F would/should be fine for the ferment so I'd suggest testing pH and possibly some organic nitrogen source like boiled bread yeast or fermaidO if you can get it.....

D47 and honey based musts are fine but ferments over 70F have been found to produce fusels.

70F would/should be fine for the ferment so I'd suggest testing pH and possibly some organic nitrogen source like boiled bread yeast or fermaidO if you can get it.....

Fatbloke is a lot more experience at this then I am. I guess I was off on the temperature thing...

Back