Question about Potassium Sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks for reading.

I have a 6 gallon batch of strawberry wine I made this past June. After letting in set for a couple of months I added some flavoring along with the recommended amounts of k-meta and potassium sorbate. I noticed no indication of renewed fermentation. It's been about 4 months now and before bottling I think I would like to add some sweetener. My question is do I have to add another dose of the potassium sorbate and / or k-meta or is the previous addition all that is necessary. Any input appreciated as this is my first attempt at flavoring and back sweetening.

Tim

Hello everyone and thanks for reading.

I have a 6 gallon batch of strawberry wine I made this past June. After letting in set for a couple of months I added some flavoring along with the recommended amounts of k-meta and potassium sorbate. I noticed no indication of renewed fermentation. It's been about 4 months now and before bottling I think I would like to add some sweetener. My question is do I have to add another dose of the potassium sorbate and / or k-meta or is the previous addition all that is necessary. Any input appreciated as this is my first attempt at flavoring and back sweetening.

Tim

If the flavoring you added didn't restart fermentation, the sweetener you add now won't either. You don't have to add more sorbate (it doesn't dissipate) but I'd definitely add more k-meta at bottling or the next racking.

Back