Wheat beer, general thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

germanmade84

Reaction score
Im curious of what people thonk of wheat beers in comparison to barley beers. For instance, do you prefer wheat, do you hate wheat,do you wanna try a wheat, do you have a recipe for a good wheat? Any wheat thoughts let em rip!

I love a good wheat beer in the summer. Mine is more of a wheat Pale ale hopped to about 30 IBUs and fermented with Kolsch yeast it is great.

I like the American style Wheat as opposed to the banana clove type wheat. I like to showcase the wheat flavor.

I usually use a pound or two in my pale ales. I have also used a greater quantity of wheat after enjoying Lagunitas little sumpin sumpin ale, a hoppy wheat beer that is very nice...try it if you can get it!

I actually prefer german wheat beers as I find the American ones rather one dimensional. When held to a responsible fermentation temperature (around 62F), you don't have to worry about a banana bomb.

Like others, I enjoy wheat when it is hot outside. I think in a few months I'll be doing something wheat for the keg, and attempting a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat clone in bottles for the girl (it's her favorite).

I used to hate wheat beers but don't at all any more. I much prefer a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen to a witbier or American wheat, though.

I'm brewing an Orange Wheat /w coriander next weekend. Something I cobbled together after reading some "blue moon clone" threads.

Also using US-05, just to keep the neutral profile and not get too Belgian-y.

Nothing like a light, crisp orange wheat in the dead of winter!
--beermethatbeer

Favs: German Hefeweizen low bananna high clove.
Love: Sierra Kellerweis, its been the inspiration to my even attempting wheat beers.

Anchor's Summer wheat is a great wheat beer. KInd of funny that it comes from a city that does not really have a summer.

NB's all grain American Wheat Ale is fantastic.

I did the extract for my first batch and it was delicious! Brewing an all grain Dunkleweizen this weekend. Jamil recipe but with a traditional wlp300 hefe yeast.

I like wheat. I'm going to do a wheat/rye ale generously hopped with centennial and Amarillo this spring. I'd also love to do a dunkelweizen at some point. A little wheat is also nice for adding body and head retention to some styles. Those are my thoughts on wheat.

Wheat and Rye. Thats pretty awesome of a combo. Like two extremes. Mellow vs. Bold in the ultimate showdown.

Warmer months I like to brew a 60 pale malt to 40 wheat malt ratio ale with about a pound of honey in the mix. Maybe throw a little crystal in there at times.

I like a 70/30 wheat to pale myself, just to get a good distiction from all the pure barley beers i make. And got to use Weinstehener or Bavarian yeast.

I do some wheats because it's like 12 bucks for a 50 pound sack here in Kansas.
I like the taste and I don't mind doing a protein rest.By the way,I use it raw,not malted.Does that make me weird?I get efficiencies in the low 80's. :rockin:

(Edit) I use barley too.I only use 5 pounds or so of wheat in a 20 pound grain bill.

I love wheat beers. I like witbiers, hefes, and American wheats. My house beer is an American wheat. If I had to choose a beer at dive bar it would be blue moon.

BigSally said:
I do some wheats because it's like 12 bucks for a 50 pound sack here in Kansas.
I like the taste and I don't mind doing a protein rest.By the way,I use it raw,not malted.Does that make me weird?I get efficiencies in the low 80's. :rockin:

(Edit) I use barley too.I only use 5 pounds or so of wheat in a 20 pound grain bill.

Actually you are doing a very early style German hefe, they used unmalted wheat so maybe wierd but, its the best way to go man.

Back