Help with adding honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatmanTom

Reaction score
Hello,
I've made countless hard cider batches ranging from plain apple cider to adding whole raspberries to adding cinnamon sticks. Never added honey before. Here's my plan:
5 gallons apple cider(Musselmans)
5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
4 teaspoons of acid blend
2.5 teaspoons of pectic enzyme
2 pounds of clover honey
5 grams of Nottingham ale yeast
10 sticks of cinnamon(half sticks)

Boil 5 sticks of cinnamon with 1 cup of water until water reduces by half.
Bring honey up to 175°F for 20 minutes, let cool.
Put both, sticks and water into carboy after it cools.
Add 2 gallons of cider and add all the 'chemicals' (acid blend, pectic enzyme, nutrient).
Add 3 more gallons of cider and give a good shake or two.
Pitch yeast and add airlock.

What do you think?
Tom

I put honey in everything. Picked up almost 5 gallons of apple juice today for my first cider. Gonna throw a couple pounds of honey in. It is just another form of sugar.

Sounds fine except no reason to heat honey. It is naturally antiseptic. I warm it just enough to make it pour and mix easily. I just sit the bucket in a sink full of hot water. Overheating drives off the desireable aromas of the honey.

This my first time dealing with honey. A friend suggested heaing it up to kill any wild yeast from bee pollen. Plus makes it easier to pour. Its been 36 hours and it's roaring like crazy. :D

Tom

Back