12 Beers of Christmas 2012!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jtakacs, got it, thanks...just need the last 3 now (Pint_destroyer, MasterJeem, Clanchief)

Yes, I think we should be thinking about shipping right after Thanksgiving in order to have plenty of time for packages to arrive before the big holiday shipping rush...

An update on Honey Ginger IPA

On my original brew day, which I posted a few pics of here, a friend stopped by and wanted to learn and help. A long story short, i was distracted and missed some times on my hop additions, scorched the LME in the bottom of the boil kettle, and was just not careful about my process and not really happy with the result. After a few tasting a few hydrometer samples, I decided that this is not a beer that I want to share with you all.

Never fear! I re-brewed, this time with a different recipe. I didn't want to order online and wait for delivery, and there is a new LHBS in Kingsport. Their ingredient selection is very good, but not endless like Northern Brewer. I was also inspired to use lighter malt by an episode of the Sunday Session about traditional IPA's. So aaaannnnnyyway I I've got something for you all to taste come December. It is hopped with 7 1/2 oz of East Kent Goldings, and sitting on 1 1/2 more ounces of hops, 2lbs of honey, and 3oz of candied ginger right now. Just had a little taste this morning to gauge the ginger flavor, and I am expecting to bottle either Tuesday or Wednesday. It measures in at 57 IBU, 7 SRM.

How is everyone else's beer? I'm getting really excited about this!

Would anyone be able to share a recipe for the caramel gingerbread quad? I would like to make this for myself (since I didn't get in on this sweet gig).

abbey weizen is in bottles conditioning as i type - happy to report that this went off without a hitch... hit all my numbers perfectly and let it rest on the yeast cake for quite a while. no secondary at all and for a wheat beer with a high percentage (40%) it came out pretty darn clear.

took my first taste yesterday and it has limited wheat influence because the yeast just dominates the beer... also a bit hoppier than i thought it would be.

i wanted it to be less "summery" and more "wintery" so it's a little darker than a standard wheat and less dry for sure... pretty well balanced imo and with carbonation (i shot for the low end of the scale for co2) it should be a really nice beer..

all grain, all saaz hops, wyeast abbey II yeast and fermented pretty cool - originally i was going to try to do it warmer than normal to get some esters out of it, but i wanted to control what i could...

i'll tell you what tho, i've never been more nervous about brewing a beer knowing 11 other people who do this are gonna be drinking it, but i think you'll all like it...

as with all of my beers (and most homebrews from what i can tell) this will need to be cold conditioned for at least a week before drinking it...

i'll tell you what tho, i've never been more nervous about brewing a beer knowing 11 other people who do this are gonna be drinking it

I feel you on this! I've been cold crashing/force carbing the Saffron Tripel for 3 weeks, and it had pretty fierce alcohol aromatics at first. Seems to be calming down, though, thank goodness--it was beautiful prior to carbing.

On the half that I fermented with French Saison yeast, I'd say it's definitely moving towards a Strong Saison--love it!

Also nervous about the Brett Golden Strong. Bottling tomorrow to make sure it has at least a month before Christmas.

All-in-all, though, I think you guys will really enjoy these beers. Can't wait to try all the others :tank:

It's probably about time to look at shipping. If we have collected all addresses, I might suggest a final check in from all parties to confirm participation before shipping. Hopefully this helps a little bit to eliminate free loaders. I've got everything bottled and have a goal to have everything boxed up before Thanksgiving.

I just PM'd MasterJeem and Pint_destroyer yesterday as they are the last two I don't have addresses from. I also asked them to check in here on the thread so we know everyone is "in." I think the plan will be to ship the week after Thanksgiving...I plan to start boxing up between now and Thanksgiving, and probably hit the UPS store just before the end of Nov (probably the 30th, as I'm off that day...)

The fruitcake old ale has been kegged for months now, and carbing is just finishing up. I will be bottling Thanksgiving weekend.

I bottled the lambic this weekend. It shouldn't need too long bottle conditioning. It really just needed the time on the B. Brett which I was able to give it. Sample was good - tart and a little fruity. I imagine the tartness will mellow over time.

I'll be ready to ship the first week of December.

Yes, I will PM the addresses in the next week. There is still one MIA (MasterJeem). I received Pint_destroyer's a couple days ago. He included the following note to me:

Pint_destroyer said:
Hey sorry for the delay in responding. Unfortunately the Cherry Spice Dubbel did not turn out well. I brewed the darn thing 3 times and it frankly was terrible, however I did brew the standard version (cherryless) and its bottled and ready to ship in place of the cherry version. This was my first time brewing with fruit. The first two versions became infected after adding the fruit, and the last version I tried to soften my water and tweak a few other variables and it came out like a cheap Sherry. Anyway I would like to ship the standard dubbel instead.

While it's a bummer he had so much trouble with the cherry (triple dubbel trouble?), I'm OK with his "regular" one if that's the best one in his opinion...Just wanted to give everyone else a chance to weigh in too...

I'm going to PM MasterJeem again, but if we don't hear from him in the next week, I'm going to consider him out, and we'll unfortunately just have 11 beers of Christmas...

[QUOTE="biochemedic"...Just wanted to give everyone else a chance to weigh in too...

I appreciate his/her honesty. I'm game for whatever they think is best.

I'm going to PM MasterJeem again, but if we don't hear from him in the next week, I'm going to consider him out, and we'll unfortunately just have 11 beers of Christmas...[/QUOTE]

Better than sending a beer out and not getting one in return.

Better than sending a beer out and not getting one in return.

I agree, especially after last year...at this point though we don't even have an address to send to...

I did look up his profile, and he hasn't posted since 07-18-2012...I expect it's one of those "life happens" scenarios...I think next year I may suggest that if you volunteer for the project, e-mail addresses should be shared early on, so there's a more reliable way to contact people in situations like this...

biochemedic said:
I ...I think next year I may suggest that if you volunteer for the project, e-mail addresses should be shared early on, so there's a more reliable way to contact people in situations like this...

that's fair. But you're right. Life does happen. Remember the guy from last year where guys siphoned his beer out of the carboy and stole it???

Faub007 brings up a good point...If I don't hear back from the last brewer within a couple days, we should open up the last slot to someone who would like to contribute a holiday beer replacement. The beer in question was a Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock but obviously we won't likely have someone with that just laying around ready to send.

I'd say we could open it up to any stronger beer, probably 8% ABV minimum; RIS, Barleywine, or other strong ale, some sort of 'winter warmer'...something that would stand up to some aging until next Christmas for those of us who want to save and cellar one of each... If it happens to be spiced or fruited in some special way, so much the better...

I'll give MasterJeem until Black Friday to reply, then I'll send out the address list on Saturday or Sunday. Anyone who wants to throw their hat in the ring as a substitute, it's first come, first served...

If we don't have anyone new pitch in a 'spiced winter warmer' I have one fermenting right now that I'm bottling on Friday. I bottle it in bombers though, so I wouldn't have enough to do more than a single bottle to each person along with my other brew. Not my preference (nor I'm sure would it be anyone else's) but it's a possible option.

I would do 2 bottles to each if that would be agreeable. I made a pumpkin spice ale with blackstrap added.

Sorry to hear the cherry dubbel didn't work out this year, its pretty fricking good. I made a batch again this year, with some improvements from last year. Kegging it this weekend.

I would do 2 bottles to each if that would be agreeable. I made a pumpkin spice ale with blackstrap added.

Faub, you will be considered first back up for right now, if MasterJeem doesn't come back online, and someone with ability to ship 3 bottles to each doesn't come in with another reasonable substitute...

Just for more info, can you give us the data points (OG/FG/ABV, basic recipe) on your molasses pumpkin ale?

Sorry to hear the cherry dubbel didn't work out this year, its pretty fricking good. I made a batch again this year, with some improvements from last year. Kegging it this weekend.

+1! I'm looking forward to opening my last bottle of it in a couple weeks!

Faub's Punkin' Pow Pow

Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer OG: 1.053
Type: All Grain FG: 1.013
Rating: 4.0 ABV: 5.24 %
Calories: 173 IBU's: 24.13
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.83 Gal
Color: 15.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.050 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 66.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
7.50 lbs 65.22 % Rahr 2-Row 60 mins 1.035
2.50 lbs 21.74 % Munich Malt 60 mins 1.037
0.50 lbs 4.35 % Briess Caramel 80L 60 mins 1.033
0.25 lbs 2.17 % Briess Caramel 60L 60 mins 1.034
12.00 ozs 6.52 % Molasses 60 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 24.13 Cluster 60 mins 7.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg American Ale Wyeast Labs 1056

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 oz Pumpkin 15 mins Mash

Mash Profile
Sacch' Rest 60 min @ 152.0°F
Add 16.12 qt ( 1.50 qt/lb ) water @ 167.4°F
Mashout 10 min @ 170.0°F
Heat to 170.0°F over 2 mins

Carbonation
(none)

Notes
Dice pumpkin the bake at 350 degrees in 8oz blackstrap and water until soft. Add spices at flameout.

Here is a link to the thread I did with pics.

usfmikeb said:

+2!!

The cherry dubbel was great. I too can't wait to crack open my third bottle from last year.

I vote to replace a missing beer with one that is currently represented from the original list.

Hmmm I thought I posted this yesterday but apparently my phone didnt send it through.

I wanted to let you guys know that I got some bad news this last week and the *****, excuse me, my ex wife has motioned for me to pay her more child support. So I cant afford to put together all of the materials and ship everything out at the same time. So if any of you want to keep 3 extra bottles for yourself you can not send them to me and Ill be ok with that. Anyone that ships to me will get beers shipped back to them, I wont be the guy that doesn't reciprocate. I will just have to spread the shipments out, when I get the money during the holidays. So again, if you ship to me, you will get beers in return, but if you dont ship to me and want to save 3 bottles and yourself some shipping that is fine with me.

Sorry bout this, I know it is extremely bad timing, but I couldnt see this coming...especially at this time of year :(

Draygon said:
Sorry bout this, I know it is extremely bad timing, but I couldnt see this coming...especially at this time of year :(

so I feel like I'm in Vegas rolling dice as I look up the first page of the thread to see your beer. Come on IPA IPA IPA, Crap!!!! Spiced Stout! I was looking forward to that one.

Anyone that ships to me will get beers shipped back to them, I wont be the guy that doesn't reciprocate. I will just have to spread the shipments out, when I get the money during the holidays. So again, if you ship to me, you will get beers in return, but if you dont ship to me and want to save 3 bottles and yourself some shipping that is fine with me.

I understand the unpredictability of life and finances in general! I for one, will go ahead and send beer out to you and you can send me your "reply" whenever you can...

Draygon, count on a few beers from me. Send a few back my way when you can. If you can't, we'll it sounds like you could use some beer so consider it a Christmas gift!

Happy holidays guys. Enjoy your beers. I really wanted to be in on this but I missed out. However y'all inspired me a little and I picked one that I thought sounded tasty. Thanks to a combination of my stupidity and Savorychefs helpfulness, I brewed a split batch yesterday. Gingerbread ale and caramel quad met together for a caramel quad, split in half for 3gallons of caramel gingerbread quad in addition to 3gals of the non gingerbread version.

Just received the address's. I bottled the Fruit Cake Old Ale yesterday and will be shipping out before Friday.

Back