Zero carb beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm maybe they use some enzymes to break down the extra starches into fermentable sugars? Not sure how Aus. works but in the u.s. it's not uncommon to play games with the serving size so you can round down to say zero carbs. Though it does say 330ml which is very roughly 12 fl oz.

OK so it has no carbohydrates in it but if that is meant to imply it has no calories, uh uh. There's alcohol in it.

Someone check my math. I get 76.5 calories from ethanol.

330ml * 0.042 ABV * 7kcal/gram * 0.789 grams/ml = 76.55 kcal

So that means about 11 calories are coming from...what, exactly?

Food match: BIGHEAD will accompany any meal easily, from a hearty pub lunch to a meal of French delicacies. BIGHEAD isn't fussy!

A beer that goes with anything . . . . riiiiight.

Sounds like a marketing gimmick beer to me; like porcupine said, they probably just played with the serving size to get to 0 carbs

Hm maybe they use some enzymes to break down the extra starches into fermentable sugars? Not sure how Aus. works but in the u.s. it's not uncommon to play games with the serving size so you can round down to say zero carbs. Though it does say 330ml which is very roughly 12 fl oz.

From what i understand false advertisement is a HUGE no no in Australia.

You might be right, some sort of enzyme to break down the non fermnetable starches. It is either that or filtering it out completely somehow.

Could they be using a very low and slow mash?

Oh I see weirdboy already calculated it, I came up with pretty much the same thing. They admit to it having 88 calories. Hm let's see if that adds up, 330ml at 4.2%abv would be 13.86ml ethanol, hm let's see wikipedia says ethanol is 7 kcal/g ... hm interesting ethanol's density varies based on temperature ... it gets more dense as it gets colder ... but only very slightly ... let's see I'll go with 10 deg. C. So that's 0.79788 g/cc ... now to put all these values together ...

(330ml)(.042)(7 kcal/g)(0.79788 g/cc)(1 cc/ml) = 77.4 kcal

Hm ok that's less than 88 calories provided they mean kcal, I guess there can be small amounts of protein in beer right? Probably no fat I would assume.

Carbs in beer are pretty negligible anyway, so I think they are trying to imply otherwise hoping some people do not realize such a thing.

Someone check my math. I get 76.5 calories from ethanol.

330ml * 0.042 ABV * 7kcal/gram * 0.789 grams/ml = 76.55 kcal

So that means about 11 calories are coming from...what, exactly?

If that 11 remaining calories is indeed carbs that would make it almost 3 grams of carbs....not carb free at all.

If they are saying 0 carbs when it really is 3 they are going to be in some trouble.

I'm seeing figures of maybe 1/2 to 2 grams of protein in beer per 12 fl oz, so that would add maybe 2 to 8 calories.

I'm seeing figures of maybe 1/2 to 2 grams of protein in beer per 12 fl oz, so that would add maybe 2 to 8 calories.

Which could account for the 10-11 difference we are seeing here if that is the case.

If we did a comparison of say mich ultra or some other low carb beer i wonder if we would find a similar amount of calories un accounted for in carbs/ethanol that could be applied to protien.

As for calories and alcohol content the beer is right on par with all the other low carb beers out there. About 90 calories for a 12oz bottle and low ABV at 4% or so should only yield a few grams of carbs to have to get rid of anyway.

My guess is they are very careful with their wort chemistry and get the yeast to eat up most of the sugars creating a "low carb" beer like all the others out there then distill the left over carbs somehow from the beer. Maybe they freeze distill it or something.

Either way, I'm going to pass on this one. Low carb beer? Come on... You want no carbs then drink some water.

If they ever sell this in the States, I'll try it. I have been wanting to go back on the low carb diet for a while to lose some weight, but am hesitant because I love beer too much and won't do the Michelob seltzer water thing. If the beer has flavor as they claim, I'd be willing to take a month or so hiatus from homebrew for the sake of dropping a few extra pounds.

Carbs in beer are pretty negligible anyway, so I think they are trying to imply otherwise hoping some people do not realize such a thing.

That's what I was getting at. Zero carbs beer sounds like it may be a marketing gimmick aimed at people who are on a diet or something.

If they ever sell this in the States, I'll try it. I have been wanting to go back on the low carb diet for a while to lose some weight, but am hesitant because I love beer too much and won't do the Michelob seltzer water thing. If the beer has flavor as they claim, I'd be willing to take a month or so hiatus from homebrew for the sake of dropping a few extra pounds.

As I understand it the way one loses pounds is to make the caloric output higher than the caloric intake, and that's about it. Carbs are not the big buggaboo. Not getting enough exercise and not practicing portion control are the cause of overweight.

That is simply not true though. It would be interesting if it were as simple as calories in equals calories out. But that is simply not the case. It assumes the body's response to calories in and out is irrespective of how it gets those calories. And that is simply not the case. Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat and What to do About It" is an excellent starting point. What you state about eating too much and not exercising enough is exactly the conventional wisdom on the topic; it's just not the entire truth.

hey Whippy here is a primal blue print guy who also homebrews and has had good results with low carb. I am also trying to follow the PB and the only grains I have are derived from my home brew, but I just started and hopefully I can stick with it.

Thanks for the link nb!

I had great success with low carb diet several years ago and kept my extra weight off for 5 years I guess...then I stopped smoking AND started homebrewing in the same year. Now that the body has adjusted, I can maintain my weight (about 10-12kg overweight) but just have trouble losing.

Lowering caloric intake and exercising does help, and many people lose a lot of weight in that way, but the low carb high fat approach works well for my body when losing weight, then eating healthy and moderating fat, calories, etc. works well for maintaining...all of us are different and must find what works for our particular body.

I tried low carb for 2 months straight, while exercising and carefully tracking all calories and carbs every day. Didn't drink beer the whole time (!)

I lost *maybe* a pound.

I went off the low carb diet but still tracked my calories and exercise, and suddenly dropped 2-3 pounds in the next week.

It's not about low carb necessarily, nor is is only about caloric intake vs caloric burn from exercise.

I lost 60 pounds and kept it off by a lifestyle change diet. There are many factors in play here, and I doubt this is the thread to explain it all in. I will say, however, that I'm able to keep that weight off and drink a fair amount of beer at the same time. Now that's a match made in heaven. :D

Latest posts

Back