Anyone have any pictures of the Blichmann "Tower of Power"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. The temperature probes are in the locations recommended by Blichmann. It is on a welded NPT fitting on the pot on the HLT. For the mashtun, it is on the pump output. I considered putting it right before the return port on the MLT, but was a little concerned about it getting cooked by the heat from the burners and also noticed that the pump output is where Blichmann suggests putting it. Because his controllers are designed to overshoot a bit, I think they may be designed for a slight bit of temp loss on the return.

As for two controllers, no, you don't need them. I probably didn't need either of them. But as for the HLT controller, I have a tendency to let my sparge water burner go too long when I'm doing other things during the mash. Since I was installing one, I figured it would be easier to just install two. Don't have to pull the drill out twice. It wasn't inexpensive, but I got a little bonus at work and went for it. For me, it was better to get it done all at once.

Here's a better picture with the wiring cleaned up.

IMAG0284-1.jpg

Thanks. The temperature probes are in the locations recommended by Blichmann. It is on a welded NPT fitting on the pot on the HLT. For the mashtun, it is on the pump output. I considered putting it right before the return port on the MLT, but was a little concerned about it getting cooked by the heat from the burners and also noticed that the pump output is where Blichmann suggests putting it. Because his controllers are designed to overshoot a bit, I think they may be designed for a slight bit of temp loss on the return.

As for two controllers, no, you don't need them. I probably didn't need either of them. But as for the HLT controller, I have a tendency to let my sparge water burner go too long when I'm doing other things during the mash. Since I was installing one, I figured it would be easier to just install two. Don't have to pull the drill out twice. It wasn't inexpensive, but I got a little bonus at work and went for it. For me, it was better to get it done all at once.

IMAG0284-1.jpg

nice, i'm buying a module for my mash tun tomorrow. are you using the optional cable connected to a PC? who did you buy from? i'm ordering from rebel brewer but can't find the cable on their website.

I did not order the cable, but I might at some point. Was thinking about picking up a netbook to use for this and a few other things where the smaller size would come in handy. I bought mine from Williams Brewing. Check to see that the retailer has them in stock. Some of them are drop shipping them and there is an up to a 3 week delay in some cases. Williams had 3 in stock and let me pay with paypal. Billmelater through paypal has 6 months no interest.

I did not order the cable, but I might at some point. Was thinking about picking up a netbook to use for this and a few other things where the smaller size would come in handy. I bought mine from Williams Brewing. Check to see that the retailer has them in stock. Some of them are drop shipping them and there is an up to a 3 week delay in some cases. Williams had 3 in stock and let me pay with paypal. Billmelater through paypal has 6 months no interest.

i can walk to williams brewing from my house but they do not have a retail store so i would have to pay for tax and shipping so i usually order from out of state.

Make sure your netbook has a screen resolution of 1280 x 800 or greater. I am looking at buying the TOP and installed the free software on my netbook last week. You can't view all of the boxes for the software with lower resolution. Just figured I would throw that out there.

Thanks for the tip. I'll put that on my list of requirements.

IMAG0284-1.jpg

so i take it you didn't get the valves and flowmeter that are on the tower of power tower for an extra $580 bucks?

Correct. My pump is already mounted to my stand, I already had a flow control and pruning/sampling port valve, and, at $35, the CRT TV mount was les expensive and takes up less room. For the price of the tower, the second, questionably necessary controller seemed like the better choice. Only hardware I had to buy (other than the mount) was a stainless tee to plumb the mash temperature sensor into the mash pique recirculation loop.

Correct. My pump is already mounted to my stand, I already had a flow control and pruning/sampling port valve, and, at $35, the CRT TV mount was les expensive and takes up less room. For the price of the tower, the second, questionably necessary controller seemed like the better choice. Only hardware I had to buy (other than the mount) was a stainless tee to plumb the mash temperature sensor into the mash pique recirculation loop.

cool, i just ordered one module and the communication cable this morning from rebel brewer. i'm not sure why they want $549 for the tower of power tower since it's just a flowmeter and a couple of valves.

Yeah, I considered it for a split second, but couldn't get comfortable with the price. I already have a pump mount, tubing with QDs, and valves to throttle pump flow, prime, and sample. What I needed was a good way to mount the controllers. Storage wise, something bolted to my stand makes more sense any way. Good luck with your TOP. I'm doing my first brew with mine this Friday.

cool, i just ordered one module and the communication cable this morning from rebel brewer. i'm not sure why they want $549 for the tower of power tower since it's just a flowmeter and a couple of valves.

Since you gentlemen have flow meters, Could either of you perhaps share what you have? I'd love to get JUST the module but I don't have a flow meter and I would have been one of those suckers to purchase the tower....I do have a pump (March 809).

Since you gentlemen have flow meters, Could either of you perhaps share what you have? I'd love to get JUST the module but I don't have a flow meter and I would have been one of those suckers to purchase the tower....I do have a pump (March 809).

i think you meant we DON'T have the flow meters? the tower of power tower is just a pump connected to the flow meter and 2 valves; one to take wort samples from and the other to throttle the flow of wort, that's it as far as i can tell (aside from holding the modules). i will place a T fitting on the outflow of my pump to install the temp sensor and i already have a valve on the out flow so the only thing missing will be the flow meter which would be nice but not at $500.

I do not have a flow meter either. The TOP requires a good bit of flow. I plan to eyeball it and see how it goes. I have been able to get pretty good flow going on recirculation without any problems with sticking the mash.

am i wrong in thinking that the tower of power tower is overpriced or is the flow meter a really expensive item? the pump is optional and the only other thing on the stand are the valves.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the flow meter is one of the pricier components. The stand alone probably carries some of the $$ weight, particularly because it's wired to switch the pump on/off. Then there's just plumbing stuff.

I think it's overpriced, which is why I opted not to get it.

I just put together my new Blichmann setup. I have a Top Tier with stand with two Blichmann Boilmakers and one Keggle. (might end up upgrading BK to a boilmaker in the future). I also have the Tower of Power stand with only a MT control box.

I'm very happy with it thus far, but I have one main concern. I filled my MT with water and heated up to strike temperature with pump recirculating. I let it equilibriate at strike temperature (took about 5 minutes) and then measured water temp with Thermapen. There was a 8 degree F difference between what tower of power control module thermocouple read and what thermapen read. I'm not sure if there is a way to calibrate the thermocouple on tower of power, but I trust the thermapen reading more.

In terms of ease of use, this thing is great. Makes brew day much easier. I contacted Blichmann about getting the mounting bracket to put tower of power on Top Tier stand. They said it should be coming out soon. I don't know if I would want to mount it on stand, though. I like being able to move the tower to make hose alignment easier to manage. I also don't want it too close to a burner.

My only concern is calibration of the thermocouple so far. Interested if anyone else has looked into this. . . .

Tower of Power.jpg

I just put together my new Blichmann setup. I have a Top Tier with stand with two Blichmann Boilmakers and one Keggle. (might end up upgrading BK to a boilmaker in the future). I also have the Tower of Power stand with only a MT control box.

I'm very happy with it thus far, but I have one main concern. I filled my MT with water and heated up to strike temperature with pump recirculating. I let it equilibriate at strike temperature (took about 5 minutes) and then measured water temp with Thermapen. There was a 8 degree F difference between what tower of power control module thermocouple read and what thermapen read. I'm not sure if there is a way to calibrate the thermocouple on tower of power, but I trust the thermapen reading more.

In terms of ease of use, this thing is great. Makes brew day much easier. I contacted Blichmann about getting the mounting bracket to put tower of power on Top Tier stand. They said it should be coming out soon. I don't know if I would want to mount it on stand, though. I like being able to move the tower to make hose alignment easier to manage. I also don't want it too close to a burner.

My only concern is calibration of the thermocouple so far. Interested if anyone else has looked into this. . . .

i just got the shipment notification for mine, glad i sprung for the 2nd day air can't wait to try it out. do you feel like the tower portion was worth the money?

It works really well and was super easy to assemble. Definitely could build it cheaper, but it is a well engineered, clean solution as always from Blichmann. You pay a premium for plug and play solution, but it works well.

eastoak said:
i just got the shipment notification for mine, glad i sprung for the 2nd day air can't wait to try it out. do you feel like the tower portion was worth the money?

I purchased the tower and think it is well worth the money. The "plug and play" option was the best option for me. The flow meter really comes in handy with both recirculating and sparging. When I am done sparging I can disconnect the whole tower from the top tier and start cleaning off to the side while I boil. It becomes really easy to clean this way.

eastoak said:

Here is a link to my set up on YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

DUDE!! Incredible set-up....thank-you. I'm the nerd that gave your video about 50 more views...I kept checking your set-up. Here's my laundry list of questions:

-- I noticed you have TWO pumps. One on the tower and one below. What do you use the pump on the Tier for? Recirculation?

-- On the question of recirculation or whirl pooling; can you or do you do that with your system? And if so, how?

(I've been using this cheap cooper tubing I purchased from Austin Brewing Supplies (I think) and basically place it in my kettle from the top. I too have a Top Tier but mine's all ghetto with ONE Blichmann kettle and the rest a water cooler and a 8 gallon pot for HLT.)

-- I'm assuming you let gravity flow the HLT water into your Mash Kettle?

-- Final question or more so a statement. Dude, that entire set-up must have put you back about $3,000 plus!!

Still, it seriously rocks!

Did you email them at Blichmann about this? You're taking the temperature reading from the pump output, right? What was your flow rate? How high was your burner turned up. According to the manual, you want the burner very low and the flow rate as high as you can without sticking the mash to reduce oscillation and overshoot of temperature.

If it can be adjusted, I assume it would require that it be done through the software.

DUDE!! Incredible set-up....thank-you. I'm the nerd that gave your video about 50 more views...I kept checking your set-up. Here's my laundry list of questions:

-- I noticed you have TWO pumps. One on the tower and one below. What do you use the pump on the Tier for? Recirculation?

-- On the question of recirculation or whirl pooling; can you or do you do that with your system? And if so, how?

(I've been using this cheap cooper tubing I purchased from Austin Brewing Supplies (I think) and basically place it in my kettle from the top. I too have a Top Tier but mine's all ghetto with ONE Blichmann kettle and the rest a water cooler and a 8 gallon pot for HLT.)

-- I'm assuming you let gravity flow the HLT water into your Mash Kettle?

-- Final question or more so a statement. Dude, that entire set-up must have put you back about $3,000 plus!!

Still, it seriously rocks!

I use the other pump to move the wort from the boil pot thru the therminator to the carboy.

You have to recirculate with the tower of power system.

I use gravity from my HLT to Mash using the auto sparge.

My reading on the controller (thermocouple reading) has been within 1 degree of the MT brewmometer (2 brews). The digital thermometer I use that I have always thought was very accurate reads several degrees lower than the thermocouple and the brewmometer. I had always trusted the digital over the brewmometer but now I am thinking the digital is off. I would query Blichmann.

Blichmann provides almost no support for their products, they want you to deal with the retailer. all of the emails between me and john blichmann have been very curt and unhelpful he won't give more than 1 or 2 sentence responses. i'd like to hear that mine is not the typical experience. i just got the tracking info for my TOP and it's being sent ground instead of the 2nd day air like i paid for. this morning i talked to rebel brewer about it and he let slip that blichmann "sucks" at customer service. won't stop me from buying their gear, just a weird thing with me maybe.

Blichmann provides almost no support for their products, they want you to deal with the retailer. all of the emails between me and john blichmann have been very curt and unhelpful he won't give more than 1 or 2 sentence responses. i'd like to hear that mine is not the typical experience. i just got the tracking info for my TOP and it's being sent ground instead of the 2nd day air like i paid for. this morning i talked to rebel brewer about it and he let slip that blichmann "sucks" at customer service. won't stop me from buying their gear, just a weird thing with me maybe.

Agree that John's response are a little brief for my tastes as well. There's another guy that answers email there that is a little more helpful.

. i just got the tracking info for my TOP and it's being sent ground instead of the 2nd day air like i paid for..

I would think of the weight and size of the Top Tier that it could ONLY go ground? I couldn't imagine the cost for Air...I hope you got your coin back?

I measured temps with just water recirculating, so recirc rate and flame strength shouldn't be an issue.

Most people swear by a Thermapen. It is a $100 digital thermometer used across the food industry. Next time I will check with my old school mercury thermometer to double check.

Disappointed to hear customer service is bad. I have contacted Blichmann directly, but for the prices they charge I would expect good customer service.

I would think of the weight and size of the Top Tier that it could ONLY go ground? I couldn't imagine the cost for Air...I hope you got your coin back?

by TOP i mean Tower of Power. the tracking says it weighs 6lb or so. rebel brewer says they will credit the shipping cost back to me.

I measured temps with just water recirculating, so recirc rate and flame strength shouldn't be an issue.

Forgive me for being dense, but why would these two things not have any bearing on overshoot?

Also, how much water were you using?

I'm not meaning to be argumentative. But I'm about to do the first brew on mine tomorrow and am hoping to avoid as many pitfalls as possible.

No worries, didn't take it as argumentative. You first fill MT with strike water and recirculate it through tower to get to right temperature. Since it is just water recirculation rate is not as important, b/c there are not hot spots like when there is grain in there. I am worried that if temp is not reading correctly with strike water, then it will definitely not be right with true mash in there.

I see where you are coming from. Is your tank water temp 8 degrees or 8 degrees low versus your temp in the recirc loop?

As a followup, I just watched the video for the "Link" software. You can set an offset using the software so the controller will be matched to your thermapen. Just be sure that the losses between the thermocouple and where ever your are taking the reading with the thermapen aren't too significant.

by TOP i mean Tower of Power. the tracking says it weighs 6lb or so. rebel brewer says they will credit the shipping cost back to me.

Oops....gotcha.I'm sure they'll 'credit' you. Which means that you have to purchase more from them.

Anyway, hope all turns out well....

Fired mine up this morning. As for temperature, it's working like a charm. Brew kettle thermometer is spot on with TOP probe in the recirculation loop (or close enough). It's holding my mash within 0.5 degrees just like it's supposed to do.

Now, of course, as with any changes to the brew system, there's a hiccup. The 20 tip jet burners with a 1/2" pipe feed do not like the 3/8" ASCO valves choking them off. Apparently, that flow restriction is just enough to cause them to not be able to create turbulence between the jets. Result: yellow flames from hell and a ton of soot. Looks like I'm going back to hurricane burners and NG orifice on my MLT and HLT. Not the end of the world, but I had hoped I would be done.

Anyone want to buy a couple of 20 tip jet burners. :)

dcbc said:
Fired mine up this morning. As for temperature, it's working like a charm. Brew kettle thermometer is spot on with TOP probe in the recirculation loop (or close enough). It's holding my mash within 0.5 degrees just like it's supposed to do.

Now, of course, as with any changes to the brew system, there's a hiccup. The 20 tip jet burners with a 1/2" pipe feed do not like the 3/8" ASCO valves choking them off. Apparently, that flow restriction is just enough to cause them to not be able to create turbulence between the jets. Result: yellow flames from hell and a ton of soot. Looks like I'm going back to hurricane burners and NG orifice on my MLT and HLT. Not the end of the world, but I had hoped I would be done.

Anyone want to buy a couple of 20 tip jet burners. :)

For the right price I am interersted in all thee I even have a hurricane burner for trade or sell

eastoak said:

I have dealt with Pete at Blichmann over the last few months and he has been great! He emails me back late at night and on weekends with long emails and lots if photos to answer my questions. Maybe reach out to him? He responds using : [email protected]. Worth a try at least!

For the right price I am interersted in all thee I even have a hurricane burner for trade or sell

Thanks, I am wondering if I got a propane burner sent to me by mistake.

Propane%2520Burner.jpg

I have emailed the company I bought it from to see if they'll send me some replacement jets. My HLT burner is doing a lot better with blue flames. Could be a matter of just replacing the jets (and returning the Hurricane burners).

Back