No homebrew stores in my state

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerRenter

Reaction score
I live in New Mexico and there is not one homebrew store in my entire state (as far as I know). I do 100% of my ordering online which means I can shop and sample my homebrews at the same time, but it would be nice to have a real store within driving distance. It would be nice to walk in...smell the smells...ask for recommendations/advice, etc.

Does anyone know what it takes for someone to open a homebrew store? I looked online and I could not find one homebrew equipment franchise, chain, etc.

My experience is only beginner to intermediate at best, but it seems like there is an opportunity here for someone to satisfy a huge enthusiastic beer drinking and brewing community!:)

This is MY opinion--but I don't think a HBS is a "make a million" enterprise. I just don't think the interest in "brewing your own" is out there, even though we love the hobby so much.

I base my opinion on what I see from my LHBS owner. It just seems he is scraping to make ends meet with the shop, and we are in a decent sized metro area. He only has 1 shop competing with him.

It sucks that you don't have a HBS near you--but honestly I enjoy ordering my stuff online. Better prices, better variety, and I can shop in my underwear. :eek:

I agree. As an entreprenuership major, it is pretty hard to see justifiable profit margins with the inventory and customer base. Maybe if you franchise, but that would take a while. I think I plan on opening a Home Brew Store, but not until I am retired and just want something to do for fun in my twilight years!

Sam75 said:
Seems odd that there wouldn't be a couple, at least. Could it be a matter of state law?

I don't think so...I searched a little more and found ONE in Albuquerque "Victor's Grape Arbor" where you can find some homebrewing supplies (Beer). But very limited. :(

There's a store called Jubilation at 3512 Lomas in Alburquqe that has home brew supplies. Don't know about Taos but some old hippie should have a home brew set up there.

The guy at my LHBS was telling me the other day that he barely stays afloat. He said he wouldn't make it at all except that he has some rent houses and his wife makes good money.

I don't really like to order online. I feel like the shipping gets to me and I like to support the hobby locally.

i checked the American Homebrewer's Association, and they had none listed for NM. that's a bummer man. i prefer to see, taste, and smell what i'm getting too. my LHBS is 1.5 hrs away, but i enjoy the drive and am lucky to have a good shop. fresh ingredients and friendly, knowledgeable staff. plus they have brews on tap! :~)

if i had to order on-line, i guess i'd use www.austinhomebrew.com or www.northernbrewer.com .

I consider myself very lucky to have one only about 15 minutes from work (30 min from home), and also more than a few within an hour's drive. The one I frequent also has other shops located "winthin another shop", so to speak. He had setups at a couple large Beer and Wine stores, and does an online biz as well. Haven't spoken to him regarding his business' viability, though. Place smells great when he has the grain mill running!

Wow - I am lucky too - I have one a five minute drive from my house (but dammitall, the on-street parking out front has parking meters!).

I doubt my guy is getting rich. He is often busy but I know he is a retired drug company executive who is probably doing pretty well on his pension.

Most of the brewing shops I've seen that are viable businesses also deal with the wine crowd. Home wine makers are a lot like self-published authors, money isn't an object. In fact, the closest supplier to my home (35 miles) supplies commercial wineries, home wine makers and over in the corner, brewing. The place in Corvalllis, which is owned and operated by homebrewers, has the wines & wine making gear in the front and the brewing stuff in the back (I suspect in part to keep the grain dust off of the wine bottles).

BeeGee said:
I sometimes shop online because I don't like to drive 30 minutes... That gas has got to cost you more than shipping! (Unless you're going that way anyways)

oh yea it does. but, it's the experience. usually a brew bud goes with me. one pays for gas, the other pays for lunch at the brewpub near the HBS. then we stop by a killer tap house (www.gingermanpub.com) and have a pint or two for the road. so it's always a fun day. sometimes we hit the Saint Arnold Brewery tour rather than the tap house.

I was looking at a brew supplier on line. Turns out their shipping was over half the cost of merchandise. I like the places with free shipping. My local home brew store has erratic hours. The guy never wears shoes and it is a real disappointment to drive there and find the place closed. Only about a 16 minute drive though.

ORRELSE said:
Better prices, better variety, and I can shop in my underwear. :eek:

Hey, at least I know now that I'm not the only one that shops online while wearing my dralls! On some not-so-rare occasions you can catch me eating cold pizza, typing with one hand, and sipping a tall glass of home brew. With my feet kicked back on the computer desk in my Spongebob Squarepants boxers.

As previously mentioned, Victors Grape Arbor sell homebrewing supplies but it is a limited selection. you can check it out on victorsgraparbor.com. or drive. Taos isn't that far. 2.5 hours? It's on San Mateo Pl just off of Cutler. Jubillation doesn't have brew supplies but they do have a fantastic selection of beer and wine. There was another HBS called Bootleger's Supply but it just recently closed. I would just make a road trip out of it like these other guys. Check out Chama River Brewing Co. Great beer and pretty decent food too. They aslo have a chill tobacco room. Kelly's is another great choice. It's on Central and Wellesley by the University.

Back