How do you take gravity readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
I've read here where people take gravity readings after taking a sample out of the primary.....What do you put the beer in to measure?

I was practicing with my hygrometer before my brew session, and I don't have a glass tall enough to use it with....

When I brewed my first batch, I sanitized the hyrgrometer, and checked the SG in the barrel.......

I am going to check my gravity Fri. or Sat. (it will have been a week Sat.) and am curious how to do it without opening the primary all the way.....(Plastic Fermenter)

Thanks for helping out a noob......:tank:

I use a sanitized turkey baster and put the sample in the cylinder that the hydrometer came in. Then, I drink the sample. Make sure you gently spin the hydrometer to release any bubbles under it so it actually floats free in the beer.

YooperBrew said:
I use a sanitized turkey baster and put the sample in the cylinder that the hydrometer came in. Then, I drink the sample. Make sure you gently spin the hydrometer to release any bubbles under it so it actually floats free in the beer.

I used to do this as well, but the cylinder that my hydrometers came in is rounded on the bottom and they kept falling over on me. I picked up a taller plastic cylinder from AHS with a base to take readings in.

Thanks,

I will find a cylinder a little taller than the one the Hydrometer came in....

i was pretty sure that was how it was done, but hey, ask questions if your not sure, before you screw something up........haha

Back