First blow off, what happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InLimbo

Reaction score
Brewed a 1.080ish beer last night. Maris otter, with a little C75, and black patent. Mashed at 150-149. Made a 2L starter, and pitched at 6PM. Aerated with pure O2 for 45 seconds about 5 minutes later. 5 gallon batch into a 6.5 gallon carboy that is sitting in a bucket of water at about 67-68 degrees. Went to check on the beer this morning at 9 and the top had blown off. Any thoughts as to what could have done this? Should I just use a blow off tube for big beers in general? This isn't the first big beer I've made, but the first blow off I have had.

Lol yep I always go with a blow off tube for the bigger beers. Your yeast was happy!!! Must have been a perfect set up for them, good job

Healthy fermentation causing high levels of CO2. Blow off tube is recommended, or maybe some Fermcap-S.

Well, you did about everything in your power to ensure a powerful fermentation. Low mash temp, big beer, big starter, lots of O2, fairly high temperature - past that, it all depends on the yeast strain really. If you're using a good top-cropping yeast strain, I would certainly use a blow-off for such a beer.

I just use some press n' seal wrap as an air lock...If it blows off then I just use new wrap...It's better for me than worrying about changing air locks and tubing for blow off. It sounds like you have a fine fermentation going.

Blow off is a good thing. You can even just let it continue to blow off naturally...Open fermentation is just fine. Air locks are not insurance of anything.

I use a blow off the first few days after cleaning up after a popped lid that had a plugged airlock. The blow off rig is way better than plastic or nothing at all. If the plastic pops in the middle of the night,or while everybody's at work,you're SOL. The blow off tube hasn't failed me yet.And with carboys,you can use a 1-1 1/4" ID tube.

You effed up, you trusted it ;)

I do all fermentations in 6.5g glass, and regardless of the batch characteristics I always start primary with 1" ID vinyl into a gallon vessel half filled with a Star San solution. Period. End O Story...

Cheers!

I ferment everything in 6 gal better bottles.
I use fermcap in every batch.
Never have a blow off, I'd hate to lose the beer!

Latest posts

Back