Brewing books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKenny

Reaction score
Is there any good brewing books that outline and explain what steps to take. I've brewed two batches before, but want to get better at creating a good beer. Any suggestions will help, thanks.

A lot of people use "How to Brew" first edition, which is free online. Honestly, you will learn enough on this forum that you won't have to buy any books for a long time.

Having said that, I love "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. I'm awaiting delivery of "Yeast." I'm really looking forward to that one.

+ 1 to Designing great beers and Palmer's book and this forum...ESPECIALLY this forum.

Also Joy of brewing by Papazian is nice...

I would recommend checking out Palmer's free material online at the very least. Its an easy read, and will help explain the "what to do" and "why" parts of the process. And by the way, did I mention its free?

I have two books (The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, and Radical Brewing) which were both very informative. I like to have the hard copy on hand to use as a reference.

I will say that searching forums on this site has provided an answer to almost every question I've ever had.

All of the above but I think the Classic Beer Style books are a must have to learn individual styles and mash profiles. Great to refer back to also indefinitely.

When I started, I read How to Brew in the online edition. Twice. Then I bought the paper edition (it's updated, and with more information). For a basic book, I don't think you can beat it, although I've read my son's Papazian (The Complete Joy of Homebrewing) and it would be a fine place to start, too.

+1 to papizan and how to brew, radical brewing is right about this level

Next on the list is:

Designing great beer by daniels
80 classic beer recipes if you are an extract brewer still (Which I doubt)
The classic beer style series by the time you get to here you would really know what they are talking about.
Wild brewing
Belgian ales (not sure if this is the title but amazon should recommend it if you looked at the other ones
Brewing Better Beer

This is moderate to advanced books

Next is the advanced books:
Yeast
New how to brew by Noonan
Brewing Chemistry

Once you start hitting the Yeast books you will have about 20 or 30 all grains under your belt and you will really start to understand what is going on in your mash. Good luck!

I agree to the above - great books to learn the hobby. I also quite enjoy the clone recipe books since you can see how different recipes are tweaked with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. However, I would suggest these books more once you've explored the basics, first.

Brent

Hadn't looked at "New Brewing Lager Beer" for awhile but re-read the chapter on fermentation last night. Really good info and tips in there.

Latest posts

Back