This is interesting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
This is the bottom of my fermenter. The trub dropped out first, but then when the yeast (WLP007) settled, it looks like little pebbles. Never seen this before, and I've used this yeast several times. Has anyone noticed this?

ForumRunner_20110903_165119.jpg

Whoa, that is awesome! The krausen hasn't fallen on my wee heavy even after 21 days. I think it is here to stay and maybe hardened in place a little haha

That's the same as S04 right? It does that, it's a floc-tastic strain. A lot different to other strains I've used and you have to be a bit more careful with the siphon as not to suck the pebbles up!

If you secondary, you don't get anymore though, it tends to just form a flat layer

This is the bottom of my fermenter. The trub dropped out first, but then when the yeast (WLP007) settled, it looks like little pebbles. Never seen this before, and I've used this yeast several times. Has anyone noticed this?

I really like how WLP007 behaves. I've never seen it do that before either.

Can be an indicator of some type of short cell thing... I am too stupid to remember much more beyond that. If the beer is good drink it. If it is not give it to the freshmen.

Is it a new batch straight from the shop or have you washed it a few times.

Chris from White Labs has mentioned WLP002 flocculates so well, it can look as though it's curdled when it has settled. This may be similar to that strain.

Chesterbelloc said:
Is it a new batch straight from the shop or have you washed it a few times.
It was a 7 gallon batch of 1.090 so I pitched a 2 liter starter and about 500ml of slurry from a previous batch. I've reused this before without this effect, but it may be connected somehow.
dalime said:
Chris from White Labs has mentioned WLP002 flocculates so well, it can look as though it's curdled when it has settled. This may be similar to that strain.
That kind of sounds like a ringer. When I drained the carboy, the little pebbles weren't firm at all but just turned into sludge when I shook the carboy to drain the trub. This is probably one time I would have consented to using a secondary. The pebbles were hard to keep out of the auto siphon

whiskeyjack said:
Did you add any finings to it like gelatin ? That is pretty wicked looking :)

Nope. I've never done finings before, its just some strange yeast behavior

Back