Attachments: Grain, Hops, Yeast reference charts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
I went looking for good reference charts for ingredients a while ago, and ended up creating my own for inclusion in my "brew binder." I take no credit for the contents of these files, they are just compiled versions of info I got from BYO. Since this is commonly available reference info provided by the suppliers of the ingredients, I don't believe anybody should have any heartburn over copyright.

The charts are very good but not exhaustive. I've provided PDFs of each chart (because of filesize limits on HBT, I've had to zip them, and the yeast chart had to be broken into 3 parts!)

View attachment Grains Chart.zip

View attachment Hops Chart.zip

View attachment Yeast1.zip

View attachment Yeast2.zip

View attachment Yeast3.zip.

Enjoy.

Seriously, in the past 2.5 hours we are the only two that think these charts are worth responding to. Nice job PintOfBitter.

Glad you guys will use them. I spent quite a while compiling the data and getting the formatting fixed. I did just notice that I don't have column headings on the grain chart. oops!

Wow, even getting professional use. Makes the time I spent worth it. (I actually haven't had many opportunities to reference them myself yet!) :)

I'm integrating these into my brewing spreadsheet - soon I'll be selecting malts, hops, and yeast by name and all the numbers will come in automatically!

It's not that it isn't appreciated, but most of this info is already in BeerSmith.:mug:

It's not that it isn't appreciated, but most of this info is already in BeerSmith.:mug:

yes, a lot of it is, but not in a readable format. you need to view each ingredient to see its info. This format helps a lot when doing comparisons, and makes everything fully visible. BeerSmith is an awesome prog that I'd recommend to anyone, but there's something to be said for hard copy :)

Thanks for the hard work on this. I already know I will be referencing this information regularly! Have a beer on us!!! :mug:

Thanks for this. I don't use Beersmith, so this is a fantastic reference. Well done!

I vote for sticky.

if anyone has the info for aything they see missing from the charts, post it here. i'll roll it into the charts when there are a few to add.

I was googling for information on Hops and found this wonderful resource. Thank you! I suggest for the hops table that another column be added indicating whether the hops is used for bittering, Aroma, or Dry hopping.

Thanks again!

Thanks Pint. These are great. Since I am new to this and have not started AG, I have been looking for a comprehensive list that would note steeping vs mashed grains. Do you think you could add that to the charts? Perhaps just an M or S to designate?

Just came upon these spreadsheets in the forum, great resource. As I recently purchased pounds of pellet hops I will be using the replacement suggestions in the hops spreadsheet a lot. Thanks again for all the work.

Thanks Pint. These are great. Since I am new to this and have not started AG, I have been looking for a comprehensive list that would note steeping vs mashed grains. Do you think you could add that to the charts? Perhaps just an M or S to designate?

Northernlad,

I understand what you are saying, but Steeping and Mashing have two different meanings. According to my HomeBrewing Guide, steeping the grain is part of the malting process where the grain are submersed into water and allowed to germinate (almost). However, steeping is also a term used for extract brewing where malts are added as adjuncts. In most cases in all-grain homebrewing, the adjunct grains are mashed with the primary grains. At microbreweries, the primary grains are mashed seperately to provide a common stock and the adjuncts are mashed seperately, but added together later to the wort.

For the sake of clarity, it would be nice if we didn't have to mince terms, but we do. However, I digress. Back on subject, I agree your request would be useful. However, specifically I need to know if the grain is used as a primary malt or an adjunct.

Cheers!

Rick

I'm thinking of revising these docs in the near future. If anybody has taken the initiative to make any additions or fixes, I'd like to try to incorporate them (assuming the new data came from somewhat reliable sources!).

Please PM or post if you've messed with these at all.

Thanks!

Back