The Second Annual Masstoberfest 10/3/09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, can you fit this on your grill?

9241.jpg

Wait, WTF? That's not a Photoshop job? How big *IS* that mofo?

Dude, you should know better than that.
This isnt my first rodeo but it was the first Giant on my best mans boat (smiling from ear to ear in back of the guy in the yellow shirt)

I do have some more photoshops though:

9245.jpg

Some previous years fishing pics:

swimblue480.jpg

MVC-008F.jpg

I'm 6'2" 275 in this pic, how big you think my buddy is?

350anthony.jpg

and me leadering a 600lb class Blue Marlin on the same boat:

HyannisBlueMarlin1.jpg

I'm willing to bet quite a bit that isn't photoshopped... that's a bigazz tuna... What was it Babalu?? I'm putting in a wild guess at 600 lbs?

Drssed weight was 596 lbs.
Since we gut them at sea to start the cooling process we dont know the exact live weight but it calculates out to 820 lbs

It was 109" long and had a girth of 74"
I'm 6' 2" and the fish was as big around as I am tall, a fatty for sure.

That bad Larry bought a lot of diesel for Babalu.

How much you want to bet he shows up at the party with a can of Chicken of the Sea?

PTN

I'm hoping I cant make the party actually because that means the fish are still out there and the weather is decent.

Looks nice from our homes this AM but right now the waves are AVERAGING 7 feet every 8 seconds where we caught this one Thursday.
Pretty snotty and it will be for the next few days but I can assure you the next weather window I am GONE FISHIN'

MVC-008F.jpg

I'm 6'2" 275 in this pic, how big you think my buddy is?

I'm guessing about 30 inches and 32 lbs.

Porkah. Just like Daddy.

I'm hoping I cant make the party actually because that means the fish are still out there and the weather is decent.

Looks nice from our homes this AM but right now the waves are AVERAGING 7 feet every 8 seconds where we caught this one Thursday.
Pretty snotty and it will be for the next few days but I can assure you the next weather window I am GONE FISHIN'

I dont get what all the whining is about. Sounds like a nice day offshore to me. Unless you're a chunkah?

PTN

Yes, fish was caught drifting live baits.
The troll bite blows because the place gets loaded with googans trolling squid bars from twin and triple outboard boats.
Fvckin clueless bastards the lot of them. It ruined the trolling fishery out there.

Drifting in those seas is just a brutal day raises the odds in the fishes favor drastically too. Big seas = lots of lost fish.

Nice shades boss....

MVC-008F.jpg

Did you meet up with Goose afterwards? Play some beach volleyball with no shirts on??

"FLY... IN...TO... THE DANGERZONE!!!! GONNA RIIIIIIIDE... IN...TOOOOO THE DANNNNGER ZOOOOONE!!!"

I've tried many pairs of glasses and those enable me to see into the water best, see the PERFECT harpoon shot to the head of that fish?

The saga continues

51nHlQLb%2BDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I wish I had two more hands... so I could give those sunglasses... FOUR THUMBS DOWN!

So is anyone actually going to Paul's this weekend in the pouring torential rain?

He should have had it the weekend I could have actually gone.

Those sunglasses are bad assed, you know it.

If the weather is truely craptastic I am at a kids birthday party, if the weather is good I am catching

Hey Paul,
All jokes and Babalu's jealousy over me having the sweetest avatar IN THE WORLD aside..

What are you thinking for Saturday if the weather report holds. They're saying heavy duty rain all day. It's still a few days away and things could obviously change pretty easily but if it rainin' like a mo-fo, what's the game plan?

Paul don't live in Boston now do he??

Yeah, I just looked and it has changed... again... I like Accuweather.com... they tend to be pretty good and now they're saying just rain at night but it is supposed to be crazy windy (not that wind is a problem)

Knowing the weather around here though... it could change four more times by Saturday.

I was just curious if there was an official plan by the host in case of rain.

It's always so pleasant to wake up to your little bits of joy, CB.

Well, one way or another there will be pig getting turned to pork here on Saturday. I've alreay bought and paid for a pig and he would make a really bad pet, if for no other reason than when he gets here on Friday he'll be missing his aorta and kidneys and those sorts of things. I don't think he'll be giving Arnold Zucker a run for his money. In fact the only place he'll be running to is Bertha. (BTW, Drunken and I spend all day yesterday giving Bertha a facelift, more to follow.)

So the BBQ is happening, regardlass. I'll see about a tent. Wouldn't want you to be out in a passing shower in that fetching little number you are wearing in your avatar, you might rust.)

PTN

Anytime after 1pm will be good. I plan on getting the BBQ going around 3:30 or 4am. I did major reconstructive surgery on Bertha yesterday and so I'm not exactly 100% sure how she's going to cook. (Just things like knowing where the hot spots are and how the wood burns in the fire box, does she do better with bigger or smaller peices, how far to open the drafts to maintain temps, etc.)

Here are some pictures of the modifications.

A few wrinkle removals..
1254260098.jpg

We created a water tray with a drain out the bottom that goes the whole length of the cooking chamber. That will serve to modify the temp better and keep the meat moister. We just water tested it here and the welds held water.
1254259937.jpg

The water tray has baffles welded from the top downwards at an angle towards the side of the cooking chamber. The idea is that the heat will come from the firebox (removed from the near side in this picture to be rebuilt out of heavier metal) and will try to rise up into the smoke chamber. The water tray is built like an H. THe water will go in the top of the H. The bottom of the H goes from just over the opening in the smoke chamber to the far end. When the heat and smoke enter it tries to rise, hits the H and flows to the far end of the chamber. Then it will flow out and up from the bottom along the length of the H. The baffles direct the heat out even further towards the edge, away for the meat so it's not directly cooking the meat. This pic shows the H with the baffles being welded into place.
1254260028.jpg

Bertha has her top back on, a new door, new hinge and a nice fancy new door handle. Playing with the steel tube bender was a blast.
1254259879.jpg

Bertha's top gets welded in place for good.
1254259854.jpg

Next up is putting her on a trailer and painting her with heat resistant paint. That won't get done before Saturday but soon afterwards. Won't effect how she cooks either way.

PTN

I have a 10x 10 pop up canopy I'll toss in my trunk just in case...

I am planning on attending...

I brought back a couple of bottles of beer from Oktoberfest...

-Will

Thanks Will, that's great. I have another pop up tent about the same size as yours and I have a tented gazebo on the deck. That is three tents already and I can see about stretching a tarp. Unfortunately some madman went berserk in the backyard in the spring and my tree options are limited (But the grapes are doing reat!) I drove by the Rental place this everning on my way to work but they had closed already. I'll check in the am. I buy my propane from them and he's always talking about my beer, maybe I'll invite him and get a better price on the tent.

PTN

He should have had it the weekend I could have actually gone.

Those sunglasses are bad assed, you know it.

If the weather is truely craptastic I am at a kids birthday party, if the weather is good I am catching

We'll be going long after the kids have had their fill of cake and gone to bed.

PTN

We'll be going long after the kids have had their fill of cake and gone to bed.

PTN

So....................... should I just leave my kids home alone and stop by after putting them to bed?
Maybe I can put on Hercules and shoot over for a few hours.

Will you vouch for me when DSS comes a calling?

Sure, I know the DSS guy in charge of the area where you live. I'll gie him the word. Hell, you can give him the word yourself, he'll be here.

PTN

OTOH, there is nothing to say you have to wait till night time to come by. Bring the kids. Despite everyting foolish written in this thread it will be a very G rate event.

BABS! I LOVE it. Babs! What a hoot!

"People! People who need people,
Are the luckiest people,
in the world!"

Someone needs a new avatar. Hey Bird, can you pull any ex-mod strings and make a little addition to Bab's contol panel?

PTN

Last edited by a moderator:
Back