Dry yeast ONLY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

younger96

Reaction score
So I first brewed about 15 years ago, and recall that dry yeast was all that was available. I started using liquid yeast (vials not the smack pack) sometime in 2000 timeframe. Now I live in Maine and I cannot buy the liquid yeast anywhere, only a few brew shops around and they carry dry only.

I was just getting started back when I used dry yeast before, I don't recall ever making a starter, just pitched right from package to wort. Now, I feel like I need a 1 L starter or so for the little guys, and for my first batch I did make up a starter and gave it a day to get happy.

1) Am on the right track by making a starter with the dry yeast?
2) Is a liter sufficient or should I be pushing it to 2L?
3) Stiring/Swirling/etc is good for the starter as I understand?

You can easily buy liquid yeast from any online brewstore, with good results. Since I live 150 miles from any brewstore, that's what I do.

But, if you're using dry yeast that's fine! Don't use a starter for dry yeast (it's not necessary and may be detrimental to a healthy fermentation), and just rehydrate according to package directions.

Oh, and welcome back to the obsession!

Dry yeast doesn't need a starter.

I really wonder why I use anything but dry yeast.

I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST ordering lager liquid yeast in the mail. Unless you live close that stuff in summer at least will sit in shipping trucks without any temp control and who knows the viability of the product you are getting. I am 0 for 2 in liquid yeast even starting which I have ordered through the mail.

From what I've read recently, you don't make a starter for dry yeast, but you should rehydrate them.

So I first brewed about 15 years ago, and recall that dry yeast was all that was available. I started using liquid yeast (vials not the smack pack) sometime in 2000 timeframe. Now I live in Maine and I cannot buy the liquid yeast anywhere, only a few brew shops around and they carry dry only.

I was just getting started back when I used dry yeast before, I don't recall ever making a starter, just pitched right from package to wort. Now, I feel like I need a 1 L starter or so for the little guys, and for my first batch I did make up a starter and gave it a day to get happy.

1) Am on the right track by making a starter with the dry yeast?
2) Is a liter sufficient or should I be pushing it to 2L?
3) Stiring/Swirling/etc is good for the starter as I understand?

You're misreading it....For dry you don't need a starter....You can pitch it right onto the wort...or you can rehydrate it in some warm water for 15-30 minutes before pitching...I lean towards the sprinkle on the surface of the wort, wait 15-30 minutes, to rehydrate on the wort, and then move the fermenter into the brew closet, which mixes the yeast in a bit...There is all sorts of arguments back and forth as to the supposed "best" way, but really they all work fine.

:mug:

Dry yeast can do better with rehydrating, according to what I've heard. The plain water will help them rebuild the cell walls without worry about other stuff getting into the cells first.

Anyway, they usually don't say to do it on the homebrew packets, but the same yeast packaged for the professionals have instructions for rehydrating. Why not use the same procedure the pros use?

But either way will be fine. For bigger beers I usually pitch 2 packets. Still pretty cheap.

If you just really like playing with yeasts, maybe try harvesting some from a bottle of commercial beer? I've harvested some yeast from Bells beer, and a couple of others. Then you can keep a supply of good yeast in the fridge (or freezer, if you add some special stuff to keep them from bursting their cells). I'm doing that for a few Belgian yeasts that can only be had in liquid form.

I have been using dry yeast nearly exclusively for the last couple years save one Bock I made where I opted to use a liquid strain on half the batch.

My practice is to begin the re-hydration while doing a short re-ciculative cooling. Once the yeast are adequately quenched, I spritz sanitize my liner, pitch the yeast, and then begin to fill the fermenter with the cooled wort.

With these methods I have eliminated poor attenuation issues, signifigantly reduced lag times, and have no need for a starter or stir plate. Plus, I can buy bulk quantities of yeast and store them (refridgerated) without concern for signifigant loss of viability.

whats more, is taht the "industry" has effectively doubled the number of strains available (as compared to only a few years ago) thus allowing for at least one strain capable of producing a acceptible profile for "most" any beer style.

Pricewise this is true. But for storability, ease of shipping, and simplicity in cell count, dry is still a win for this brewer.

Yep, I didn't say I was going to stop buying them for sure. I have them around for backup actually. I tried to use some washed WLP830 last weekend and it would not start and was too old. I decided to go with some notty that I had around and it is fermenting close to lager temps anyways at 56* so maybe I will get some lager character out of this Octoberfast anyways :)

Yep, I didn't say I was going to stop buying them for sure. I have them around for backup actually. I tried to use some washed WLP830 last weekend and it would not start and was too old. I decided to go with some notty that I had around and it is fermenting close to lager temps anyways at 56* so maybe I will get some lager character out of this Octoberfast anyways :)

I did a split once 830 in half and S-23 in another. Only, I cut the d-rest out with the saflager and got a better Bock from the S-23 than I did from the 830. The buttery notes from the S-23 just "feel" smoother and more cohesive.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback... wish this site was around back when I first started brewing it would have been a huge help. The starter I made with the dry seems to have done well, time till tell I guess but I had good activity within a few hours of pitching.

I hear ya'll on the mail order... but by the time you buy the liquid, buy the ice packs for shipping and pay for shipping your looking at $15/batch for yeast!

Hearing all the positive feedback on dry makes me think I'm not sacrificing quality or taste by using it so I think I will go with the dry, experiment a bit with rehydrating, and see how it goes for the next few batches.

Thanks again everyone! :mug:

There are even dry wheat and lager yeasts available now. But you can always buy liquid yeast online in the Spring or Fall and keep it in your refrigerator.

I've only been brewing 8 years and I wish this site had been around then.

Back