any one have experience with saflager s-23?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I ran out of time to build up some liquid yeast so tomorrow I'm pitching a bunch of this and I was just looking for some advice on temps and time. thanks

I have used it many, many times this winter.

Cool wort to no more than 60F, rehydrate yeast in lukewarm water for 15 minutes, dump in. Keep cooling to fermentation temp. I ferment at 45-50F and have had great results, clean, clear beer.

Leave in the primary until final FG is attained... for me it was 3 weeks. Rack into keg and lager for another 3 weeks.

I recently did 4 lagers in a row with S-23. I cool the wort down to below 70, pitch 2 packs of S-23 into a pint of cooled wort, let it settle, cream and add to the fermenter. 12 to 14 days at 49*F, a three day D-rest, then a long cold crash and into the keg for at least a month of lagering.

I am serving a keg of Pils and a keg of Marzen made this way this weekend at a family reunion. Both have been lagering for about six weeks and taste very fine.

:D

I like this yeast. There have been recent threads on it saying some love it, some hate it. I have used it many times with great results, although, like you, I seem to only use it if I was too lazy to build up a liquid culture. I just moved a munich dunkel to the secondary, and drank the hydro sample. Another great lager off this strain.

cpt do you attach a blow off or something to you're keg during lagering?

You don't need one. You really only need a blowoff during very active fermentation, mostly the first few days.

Once the beer is in the keg, fermentation is mostly done. Any further CO2 produced just helps carb the keg.

Do the d rest when you are at 80% of your expected attenuation. I would think you are almost there. Let it site at room temp for 1 day, then rack and lager.

Back