Please critique... recipe for this afternoon.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
AMERICAN IPA

1 lb crushed crystal malt 60L - Steep at 155-160 for 20 minutes

4 lbs Pale DME at 60 min
1.5 oz. Centennial (9%) at 60 Min
0.5 Centennial (9%) & 0.5 Oz UK First Gold (8.1%) at 15 min
1 oz UK FG (8.1%) at 5 min
3 lbs Amber DME at knockout

11.5 grams Safale US-05

1-2 weeks primary (TBD)
2-4 weeks secondary with 0.5 oz UK FG (8.1%) dry hopped for last 5 days.

I would boil the Amber DME for a few minutes to sterilize it and drop the UK FG. Keep with the American hops, I don't like to mix English and American hops in my IPA's

A couple more questions to help rate my supply store...

1. My recipe started with 4 lbs pale LME, and 4 lbs Amber DME. They told me to stick with all dry or all liquid for simplicity, and that 3 lbs of pale DME would produce the same end result as the 4 lbs pale DME... yes/no?

2. I started with the intent of utilizing all Cascade hops, because I love the flavor. They didn't have any so suggested the Centennial with the proper adjustments to maintain the AAU's. They also suggested switching a percentage of them the the First Gold because "they've done similar and loved the results." Being my first attempt at combining my own ingredients, I took their advice. Thoughts?

3. Because I used a kit in the past that came with 1 lb crushed Crystal 60L and 8 oz of crushed Victory for steeping, and liked the results, I kept those the same for simplicity in my original recipe. They did not have the Victory on hand, but said that to truly benefit from Victory it needs to be mashed not steeped anyway, and thus I wouldn't notice much of a difference just eliminating it. So I did.

BeerSmith puts me at the upper tier of an American IPA:

Est. OG - 1.062
Est. FG - 1.016
IBU's - 69.9

A couple more questions to help rate my supply store...

1. My recipe started with 4 lbs pale LME, and 4 lbs Amber DME. They told me to stick with all dry or all liquid for simplicity, and that 3 lbs of pale DME would produce the same end result as the 4 lbs pale DME... yes/no?

2. I started with the intent of utilizing all Cascade hops, because I love the flavor. They didn't have any so suggested the Centennial with the proper adjustments to maintain the AAU's. They also suggested switching a percentage of them the the First Gold because "they've done similar and loved the results." Being my first attempt at combining my own ingredients, I took their advice. Thoughts?

3. Because I used a kit in the past that came with 1 lb crushed Crystal 60L and 8 oz of crushed Victory for steeping, and liked the results, I kept those the same for simplicity in my original recipe. They did not have the Victory on hand, but said that to truly benefit from Victory it needs to be mashed not steeped anyway, and thus I wouldn't notice much of a difference just eliminating it. So I did.

BeerSmith puts me at the upper tier of an American IPA:

Est. OG - 1.062
Est. FG - 1.016
IBU's - 69.9

1. close but yes. liquid or LME has 20% water

2. Its a personal choice. I like American IPA's to have American Hops and English IPA's to have English Hops

3.You must mash Victory

King of Cascade...

Are you blind? Yes, I posted it twice. I posted it in the recipe thread on a Friday, hoping to get a few critiques in time to buy ingredients for the weekend. After no takers in nearly 2 days, I stopped at my homebrew store and bought ingredients based on another recipe I found elsewhere on the web. Posted my new intentions on the Beginners page (because it actually has an audience) on Sunday morning before the brew, then updated this thread (also Sunday AM) a few hours before my intended brew...

...parden me for not checking to make sure nobody posted a follow-up at 2:03 in the morning before I bought some hops.

After I had made my ingredients purchase, was I really off key to verify a few opinions before the brew?

Sounds like some folks around here feel they can spout rhyme or reason without themselves being open to criticism...

Well the other thread was closed so I wanted to say a few things

On the other thread you were given a few recipes that were a good match for a 2HA clone (per your request). Then you came up with something totally different and then criticized someone for trying to help you out. If you ask a question about a recipe then at least consider it and watch your tone if you don't agree. Try not to be a (edit...sorry yoop) and you could get a lot of good info from this forum.

Edit... didn’t mean to call anyone a Richard Cranium it won’t happen again.

The last thread was closed because there were two posts that were bordering on name calling and being argumentative.

We are here to discuss and share our beer knowledge. A closed thread should be seen as a nice way of putting up a "red flag". There will be no more warnings. We are all grown ups here. Let's not forget that. Abusive and/or condescending language will not be tolerated.

This one should probably close down to, before it gets much worse...
but for the record, looks like a good brew...

To all,

Nobody tried to do anything off kilter. I posted a recipe request on Friday morning because I expected to run to my home brew store on Saturday for ingredients. Having not heard anything on Friday or Saturday (before I went to bed at 10), and having yet to buy ingredients, I was a bit dis-heartened with the lack of responses and chose to make a best guess based on Palmer's book, Google, and my love of Cascade hops. Woke up early Sunday AM, and ran to the store, then posted my intentions on the beginner board for last minute input. Having come from other forums, where it is proper etiquette to update posts so others using the search get the whole story, I added a note to the thread I had started there noting my now intended recipe. At that time, I noted that though silent on Friday and until late Saturday, numerous responses had shown up with recipes. I'll certainly try them all in the future, and if anything, was a bit bummed that I hadn't gotten them sooner.

Then along comes the snarky comment that:

"Yeah. It is awesome when someone posts asking for help/suggestions and, after a few people take the time to do so, they just do what they were going to do anyways without taking any of that to heart and/or posting comments about our suggestions."

Nothing I did was intentional, I didn't overlook any recipe on purpose, and frankly, was PO'd that someone had the gall to assume I had. In my follow-up posts, I vented. Plain and simple. I was then jumped from all angles about how wrong my actions were, while (despite having clarified my time line) nobody seemed to think there was anything wrong with the above quote; probably because his signature says Senior Member.

I remain hopeful that I can learn from this forum and the obvious experience floating around here. If I offended people, I'm sorry. End of story.

So how did your brew go? Too bad your local homebrew shop didn’t have Cascade (my favorite) if you want cascade hops you could try freshops.com they have them

Latest posts

Back