Yeast shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevilaquafoto

Reaction score
I bought a packet of dry Nottingham ale yeast before hurricane Sandy hit here in Hoboken, NJ. I put it in my fridge hoping to use it within the next few days. The hurricane hit, we lost power and the fridge went warm. The yeast stayed dry (unlike my kitchen, bathroom and bedroom), and then cooled again when the power came back on. Did I lose my yeast? Did the cooling, warming and cooling kill it, or should it still be good in the vacuum sealed packet? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

Yeast is fine.

Response from Dr. Clayton Cone [Lalvin]:
Active Dry Yeast, at <5% moisture, is originally packaged in an oxygen free atmosphere either via nitrogen flush or vacuum. Under these conditions they will loose about 20% activity / year when stored at 20C.(68F) and about 5% activity / year when stored at 4C.(40F). It is the presence of Oxygen and the pick up of small amounts of moisture that causes the yeast to deteriorate at a faster rate, once the package has been opened. If you can vacuum pack (kitchen vacuum package equipment)or store in an air tight container and refrigerate you may retain a substantial amount of the activity. It would be wise to increase the inoculum 50% to be on the safe side. It is always a gamble, depending on how much moisture the cells have picked up each time you open and close the package and return to the refrigerator.​

Back