American IPA Citra and Chinook IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frod1963

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1 liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 67*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 at 67*F dry hop
Additional Fermentation
2 days cold with jelatin
Tasting Notes
This is my latest Hop variety twist on my house IPA.
Awesome hop forward IPA for the first several weeks then mellows out to a well balanced easy drinking beer that goes down very easy. So far I have received more comments on this beer than any of my others to date.

Mash @ 152 for 60 minutes
70% efficiency

12 lbs. US two row
0.75lbs Crystal 60

1.00 oz Chinook (10.0%AA) first wort hop
1.00 oz Citra (13.4%AA) 15 minutes
1.00 oz Chinook (10.0%AA) 6 minutes
1.00 oz Citra (13.4 %AA) 1 minute

1.00 oz Citra (13.4%AA) Dry hop 5-7 days
1.00 oz Chinook (10.0% AA) Dry hop 5-7 days

California ale yeast in a 1 liter starter pitched at 67*F for 2 weeks then Dry hops pitched in primary for 5-7 days.

photo (9).jpg

With this dry hop combination it's a dank, citrus hop sandwich during the first couple weeks in the keg. I'm going to use this same recipe in the future just adjust everything down to a session pale ale around 4.5% which should be awesome.

Where do you guys get your Citra hops from?
I can't seem to find any where I'm from in Western Canada but I was hoping to find a decent company in the US that I could mail order from.

atchinator said:
Where do you guys get your Citra hops from?
I can't seem to find any where I'm from in Western Canada but I was hoping to find a decent company in the US that I could mail order from.

Looks like Niko brew still has Citra in stock. Site says they ship international, so they should be able to help you out. Recent show with the brewing network had loftus hop ranches on and I believe he said they will have a bigger crop this year, which will be nice.

This sounds great! I plan to make an extract version of this, but I only have 1 oz chinook, and 6 oz of citra. Do you see anything wrong with switching out the chinook for citra during the boil? I'll save my 1 oz of chinook for the dry hop.

Also, do you use pellets or whole leaf in your dry hop?

I think an all Citra IPA would be great it just might not be the same. The Chinook brings some assertive Dankness to balance the fruity Citra. I am biased I think simply because I love Chinook in hoppy beers.
If you are a hoppy brown ale fan I have a killer Oatmeal Brown ale recipe.

10 lbs pale two row
1 lb quick oats
10.oz pale chocolate
8. oz special B
8. oz crystal 60

Mash for 60 @ 154

1/2 oz Chinook FWH
1.0 oz Cascade @15
1.0 oz Chinook @5
1.5 oz Chinook @ flameout with a 15-20 minute whirlpool.

Shoot for 40 IBU's and 5.4% abv

Ferment with US-05, 001, 1056 until done. Kind of like Arrogant bastard meets oatmeal brown.

I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with for the session pale ale you mentioned in post #3. Sounds interesting.

I actually never did the session strength pale. The last beers I have brewed though have all been under 4%.

Both were pellet and dry hopped together for the same time. It helps to crash cool the beer to compact some of the hop before transfer.

i made an extract version of this, but used only 1 oz of chinook. 4 oz of citra in the boil, 2 oz citra dn 1 oz chinook in the dry hop. this is absolutely fantastic. i added 4 oz of honey malt and some victory. it smells like a tropical florist, and the malt body is nice and sweet with just enough bitterness. one of the best beers i've made!

Benedetto said:
i made an extract version of this, but used only 1 oz of chinook. 4 oz of citra in the boil, 2 oz citra dn 1 oz chinook in the dry hop. this is absolutely fantastic. i added 4 oz of honey malt and some victory. it smells like a tropical florist, and the malt body is nice and sweet with just enough bitterness. one of the best beers i've made!

Glad to hear. I haven't brewed this beer in a while due to my lack of Citra. I Loved this beer.

I think an all Citra IPA would be great it just might not be the same. The Chinook brings some assertive Dankness to balance the fruity Citra. I am biased I think simply because I love Chinook in hoppy beers.
If you are a hoppy brown ale fan I have a killer Oatmeal Brown ale recipe.

10 lbs pale two row
1 lb quick oats
10.oz pale chocolate
8. oz special B
8. oz crystal 60

Mash for 60 @ 154

1/2 oz Chinook FWH
1.0 oz Cascade @15
1.0 oz Chinook @5
1.5 oz Chinook @ flameout with a 15-20 minute whirlpool.

Shoot for 40 IBU's and 5.4% abv

Ferment with US-05, 001, 1056 until done. Kind of like Arrogant bastard meets oatmeal brown.

This sounds stellar, any one else try it? Chinook and oatmeal brown...mmm

bringing this one back from the dead lol, as I have a pound of chinook and dont know what to do with it! Has anyone done this any time recently?

I made an all galena IPA once and it turned out pretty good, just lacking in hop flavor and aroma. I'm sure an all chinook would turn out a little better.

Just replace all galena with chinook. I'm sure you don't need all the grains included, but I did have success with this recipe.

I used s05 and rehydrated it. Mashed for an hour at 152ish.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489149374.106329.jpg

bringing this one back from the dead lol, as I have a pound of chinook and dont know what to do with it! Has anyone done this any time recently?

A lot of people have said that the RR Hill 56 clone is a fantastic grain bill to use for creating a single hop brew. Provides body and accentuates hop.

Grain bill is:

60% Bel. 2-Row
32% Maris Otter
8% Crystal 20L (I'm going to use Patagonia 15L cause I love that malt)

Hop schedule is:
25IBU as FWH
16IBU from 30 Min addition
1 oz @ Flameout
2 oz 4 day dry hop

This is my next to brew (I'm going to do a Jarrylo/Cascade brew), but this should be a great recipe for all Chinook

Anyone brew the original recipe? I've had a lb of both Chinook and Citra for a while that I'd like to start using.

I have not. According to beer smith more of a doubleIPA, a little hoppy for a regular IPA. Looks good though. If I had the hops I would try it.

I'm making it roughly according to the recipe-same rough hop additions, but with a bit of CaraPils as well-halfway through the boil right now-I'll keep you posted!

Update: hit my OG of 1.055 for a ~5.9% beer. Mangrove Jack's Strong New World yeast went in-we'll see how she comes out.

rmeskill, I'm thinking of making this recipe, but maybe changing the yeast to add a little more citrus flavors. How did yours turn out?

rmeskill, I'm thinking of making this recipe, but maybe changing the yeast to add a little more citrus flavors. How did yours turn out?

Not too heavy on the citrus, but definitely has a solid nose when you pop the bottle. Mouthfeel is a bit on the heavy/thick side, so might do to drop the carapils down a bit if that's not your thing-I don't mind it, but probably could do for a little less to be a good warm weather beer. Overall my version is a solid IPA-if you want something a bit easier drinking I think switching to a yeast to bring out more citrusy flavors and cutting down/out the carapils would go a long way.

FWIW, here's my recipe:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5000,00 g Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3,9 EBC) Grain 1 87,7 %
500,00 g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118,2 EBC) Grain 2 8,8 %
200,00 g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3,9 EBC) Grain 3 3,5 %
20,00 g Chinook [10,30 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 4 29,0 IBUs
20,00 g Citra [12,30 %] - Boil 30,0 min Hop 5 26,6 IBUs
20,00 g Chinook [10,30 %] - Boil 6,0 min Hop 6 6,8 IBUs
20,00 g Citra [12,30 %] - Boil 1,0 min Hop 7 1,5 IBUs
1,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50,28 ml] Yeast 8 -
20,00 g Chinook [14,00 %] - Dry Hop 0,0 Days Hop 9 0,0 IBUs
20,00 g Citra [13,00 %] - Dry Hop 0,0 Days Hop 10 0,0 IBUs

Was thinking of maybe doing a SMASH with just two row and citra if this turns out. Brewed this on Sunday with a violent fermentation going so far.

FWIW, here's my recipe:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5000,00 g Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3,9 EBC) Grain 1 87,7 %
500,00 g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118,2 EBC) Grain 2 8,8 %
200,00 g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3,9 EBC) Grain 3 3,5 %
20,00 g Chinook [10,30 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 4 29,0 IBUs
20,00 g Citra [12,30 %] - Boil 30,0 min Hop 5 26,6 IBUs
20,00 g Chinook [10,30 %] - Boil 6,0 min Hop 6 6,8 IBUs
20,00 g Citra [12,30 %] - Boil 1,0 min Hop 7 1,5 IBUs
1,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50,28 ml] Yeast 8 -
20,00 g Chinook [14,00 %] - Dry Hop 0,0 Days Hop 9 0,0 IBUs
20,00 g Citra [13,00 %] - Dry Hop 0,0 Days Hop 10 0,0 IBUs

How does that turn out with German 2 row? I am guessing a bit lighter flavor and mouthfeel?

Hence the addition of CaraPils, but I don't think it was needed-definitely plenty of mouthfeel and a solid back-flavor

Latest posts

Back