Bottling Sanitation Questionnaire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckybrewer

Reaction score
I am on a college design team that is attempting to develop an automated method of cleaning and sanitizing bottles marketed for home use. Please help us by answering a few questions about your experiences!

1. Which process do you use to clean bottles prior to filling and sealing (soaking, sanitizing, rinsing, scrubbing, etc)?
2. How many bottles can you clean in an hour using that process?
3. Have the pains of cleaning and sanitizing bottles led you to kegging?
4. Would you purchase a semi-automated product that allowed you to increase the number of bottles you can clean in an hour?
5. If so, which of the following would most influence your decision to purchase? Please rank the following list 1 through 4; 1 being the most important, 4 being the least important.

a. Cost (price tag, value)
b. Appearance (size, color, feel comfortable keeping it next to the toaster)
c. Degree of sanitation (cleaning by hand vs. clean enough for the FDA to allow you to sell your product)
d. Ease of use (easy to set up, no instructions needed).

Thank you for your time! It is greatly appreciated!

1. Dishwasher with a sanitize cycle with heated dry.
2. my cycle is about 90 minutes - but it's set it and forget it. I can fit 66 bottles in there.
3. I keg and bottle.
4. My dishwasher was pretty cheap and "automated." So, no.
5. a - it'd have to be extremely cheap. My dishwasher was about $200 and is a multi-tasker.
b. my dishwasher matches my kitchen very well.
c. my dishwasher is already "FDA sanitizing" - according to instructions at least.
d. I load and press one button. My pre-schooler can help me.

So, unless it's better than a dishwasher w/ sanitize, you may be better off looking at a different venture.

I fill a bucket with 5 gallons of star san then put a 12 pack in and take it out without waiting and repeat until I have my two cases. I guess it takes about fifteen minutes. I do rinse my bottle after I pour them out so there isn't any mold or yeast left in them.

I don't think I would pay much for something that automates the process though. I might spend $100 or just see what you came up with and try and build it myself, which I'm afraid is what a lot of home brewers would do.

I don't see sanitizing or even cleaning as a major issue. Now if you could come up with a home version of the comercial fillers you would be on to something.

For cleaning I just soak in oxi over night and rinse well. Generally will spend 20 min every few days cleaning a case or so. T

Sanitizing just throw them in the starsan bucket and pull them out as needed.

See below... Good luck with your project.

I am on a college design team that is attempting to develop an automated method of cleaning and sanitizing bottles marketed for home use. Please help us by answering a few questions about your experiences!

1. Which process do you use to clean bottles prior to filling and sealing (soaking, sanitizing, rinsing, scrubbing, etc)?

Rinse after use, drip dry. If soiled (i.e. not rinsed after use) soak in oxyclean, rinse well, drip dry. Bottle brush rarely used since oxyclean is very effective. I pre-clean bottles so at filling time they only require sanitizing using a no-rinse sanitizer. Keep in mind there is a difference between cleaning a bottle (removing solids, gunk) and sanitizing (making a sanitary environment just before filling).

If rinsing after consuming, it takes about 30 seconds per bottle. If cleaning a batch of recycled bottles, probably 24-48 bottles in 2 hours, of which 30 minutes is active hands-on rinsing, the rest is unattended soaking. Sanitizing with a no-rinse sanitizer takes only about 10 seconds per bottle using a vinator and a bottle tree.

No. I don't mind bottling, and I have the process streamlined so it's not that much work.

4. Would you purchase a semi-automated product that allowed you to increase the number of bottles you can clean in an hour?

No. My process is pretty efficient as is.

5. If so, which of the following would most influence your decision to purchase? Please rank the following list 1 through 4; 1 being the most important, 4 being the least important.

c. Degree of sanitation (cleaning by hand vs. clean enough for the FDA to allow you to sell your product)

n/a

I have nothing new to add to the responses you have gotten already, I use the same methods as do most people, but, you have my full attention, as I have been designing a bottle filler/capper and sanitizing machine over the last 18 months for the DIY'r, feel free to PM me if you have anything to share.

I. Soak for 30 minutes in 1 scoop oxyclean to one sinkful of hottest tapwater available.
II. Remove labels and scrub outside.
III. Drain bottle, bottle brush inside, fill with oxy solution, shake, drain, hold bottle up to light to check for stubborn grime, repeat until clean.
IV. Rinse inside and out in clear water, drain.
V. Store bottles until needed.
(footnote: no matter how much I ask, the bar that saves bottles for me never rinses, so it usually takes 2-7 times through step III until their clean.

Including soak time, about 12. Double that if I use both sinks, quadruple that if you don't count soak time and use both sinks. Actual volume varies on the number of times I have to do step III.

No, originally the pain of filling bottles led me to kegging. Now I fill bottles as needed from my kegs.

If it was less than $100 and could do a case an hour with less than 5% needing re-washed, yes.

(comments in () )
1 a. Cost (I have a very limited brewing budget)
4 b. Appearance (It won't be going next to the toaster, SWMBO wouldn't like that)
2 c. Degree of sanitation (Less than 5% rewash rate is a must )
3 d. Ease of use.

Dishwasher on sanitation cycle. I rinse, then sanitize. No soaking or scrubbing unless there are labels.
I only need enough for a 5 gallon batch which I can do in one load.
Not yet. I would like to keg and bottle because there are tradeoffs to each.
Probably not. If it was a $100, I'd rather have a Barley Crusher. If it was $25-50, I'd rather have a digital scale. I think you see where I'm going with this.... it would be low on the list.

I think the school project is a good idea. I can imagine there are people who would me more interested. I can't imagine you making something that's easier than a dishwasher for less than $200 so I would think you would need someone that bottles on a larger scale (but smaller than many brewerys). Perhaps a brewpup?

Now, if you could come up with a way to fill those 50+ bottles faster, I would pay attention.

1. Rinse while drinking, Then a quick squirt of starSan from a weed sprayer, the I use the dish washer as the holding rack. 30 minutes prior to bottling.
2. I usually do 48 and a spare 6 pack.
3. I do keg, but I bottle big beer and some to take about.
4. Yes, but not necessarily to increase production.
5. Order of importance: C, B, D, A.

Dishwasher and I'm done...I might consider paying a college kid to come over and clean my bottles though.

My system works great. After drinking a beer or 2 or 3...I rinse the bottle and then put a little bit of detergent in it and fill with hot water and let it soak overnight (or a few days) then I rinse them out really well and store on my bottle tree. After a few days I'll cap with a bit of tin foil and store away. They stay clean and ready to be sanitized like this indefinitely. When bottling I rinse the out sides off and throw them in the dishwasher and set at sanitize setting, and forget it.

1. I rinse them once emptied, then prior to bottling I do another rinse with a carboy washer, visual inspection to make sure there is no gunk, smell them to make sure there is no odor and then sanitize in Iodophor and put on the sanitized bottle tree.
2. I can generally get two cases ready in under an hour.
3. I am on the verge of kegging because it is a PITA
4. I probably wouldn't buy anything to automate cleaning, if I was to put out a good amount of money for anything it would be a kegging system.
5. A, C, D, B

Capstone project? I'll be glad to help:
1. Oxiclean soak - 24hrs/rinse w/ bottle jetwasher & sanitize with vinator (that's all that is usually necessary)
2. Usually two cases takes me an hour
3. It's my next christmas present
4. yes
5. 1 = A; 2 = C; 3 = D; 4 = B

My $.02 - This should be cheaper then a keg setup for it to be worth buying.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back