Turkeyfest Ale (Octoberfest hybrid)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP011
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
n/a
Final Gravity
n/a
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Light marzen
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Additional Fermentation
14 days in bottle
Tasting Notes
Light colored, sweeter octoberfest (but an ale)
7 lbs Pale LME

Steeping:
.5 lb Munich
.5 lb Cara Munich
.5 lb Crystal 15L

Hops:
1oz Northern Brewer (full boil)
1oz Hallertau (w/ 2 mins left)

Additional:
5oz Corn sugar (added at start of boil)

Steps:
1. Steep grains for 20-30 minutes and remove just before boiling
2. Bring to a boil. Add LME and corn sugar (optional)
3. Add Northern Brewer hops as it returns to boil
4. Boil for 30 minutes (yes, only 30 minutes)
5. Add Hallertau with 2 minutes left in boil
6. Chill to 70 degrees, pitch yeast, agitate a little, and put her away for at least 2 weeks

Notes:
We brewed this specifically for Thanksgiving as we were late to the party to try and brew an Octoberfest. Used lighter 15L so it would be good for our wives too (you can ditch the sugar and use 90L for a variation).

This yeast took 3 days to get rolling, but apparently that is normal with this strain.

Beer turned out excellent and will be a tradition every year now. We cracked the first bottle a week into bottle conditioning, but unanimously agreed that it was better at the 2 week mark. With the added sugar we estimated this around 6% and did the job in getting us ready for a Turkey Day feast.

Cheers!

:ban:

Brewed this again this year and it's even better than last year. So tasty and a crowd favorite. :rockin:

Thank you for a tasty sounding extract recipe for the extract brewers, and those of us (myself) that haven't had many batches under our belt. :) This is on my list of soon to brew, once I empty out enough bottles to hold 5 gallons. ;-) about 60 sound like a correct amount?

Thanks again!
Schif

I forgot to mention that I used WLP029 for this year's batch and it turned out even BETTER. I'm now trying to formulate this into an all grain version to be my flagship beer. It's that good, that unique, and everyone who tries it loves it.

As far as how many bottles for the batch, it depends on your size. I like this brew out of 22oz bottles. I usually try to do half 22s and half 12s. Another great option is to invest in the plastic PET 16oz and 25oz bottles. They work great.

I usually end up with about 4.5 gallons in the bottle, so 576 oz. divided by 12 = 48 normal 12oz bottles. Be sure to let this fine brew age a month in the bottle. It hit its stride between 30-60 days in the bottle.

Also, I've brewed this as a 3 gallon batch, just cut the ingredients to 60% if you'd like to give it a try.

My all grain attempt, sitting in the fermenter now:

12lbs Maris Otter
.5 Munich
.5 Caramunich
.5 Crystal 90 (or 40 or 15 or 60, your choice)
All northern brewer hops this time
1oz at boil
1oz at 5 min
5oz of corn sugar at boil

Rack to a secondary after 21 days
Leave in secondary to clear for 2-3 days
Bottle

Next step is to use WLP036, lager it a bit, and just call it an Alt, right? Or come up with some fancy name like ALTOBERFEST. :)

Nice recipe, I might try an extract version of this.

It's rather interesting that you mention a 3 gallon batch, because I was gonna do a 5 gallon batch, and spread it out between my 3 gal, and 2x 1 gal glass carboys. XD

Cheaper grain bill, and less carboys to clean. Likely steep the grains in 2 gallons of water then top off in primary for a 3 gallon batch? My pot is only a 3 gallon pot... Hindsight says I should have gone with a bigger pot... oops

Just decided, this WILL be my next batch I make, it sounds good, and seems to be very straight forward. :) Thanks for the information! I'll look up those PET bottles, I may have to save up a little cash and invest in some new bottles. Been saving new belgium bottles for the better share of a year. My brother drinks Fat Tire, and I usually grab 1554 myself.

Schif

I've found great deals on bottles and several brew kettles through Amazon. Got a 5 gallon pot for $19 and a 7.5 gallon for $69.

A quick note on this yeast strain - it's a slow starter. I say that so you're not alarmed. I'm used to S-04 and US-05, which seem to start rolling very, very quickly. Both times I've brewed this it's taken a good 48 hours or more to get kickin'.

I highly, highly recommend putting this in a secondary for just a couple of days to clarify it. I have one bottle left that I will drink before January's end, will try to post a pic of how spectacularly clear this brew turned out.

got a batch of this on the stove rate now boiling. hope it turns out good. first extract batch in a while but its been to cold here in Michigan to do all grain

Made a one gallon tester batch of this on the 13th, but with Windsor instead. Currently all the bigger carboys are occupied. Smelled great! Hoping I can get a bigger batch going soon. thanks again for the great recipe!

Schif

I've really been struggling with trying to convert this to all grain. The extract versions have been so phenomenal but the all grain versions don't have the same character, clarity, flavor, or mouthfeel. Lots to be desired.

I'm going to make another extract batch of this, it's so good. Definitely going to stick to WLP029. It's the flavor maker.

If it's good as is, why change? Other than AG is cheaper.

Also, what is a suitable dry yeast to use instead of WLP029? If there is even one.

If it's good as is, why change? Other than AG is cheaper.

Also, what is a suitable dry yeast to use instead of WLP029? If there is even one.

While waiting for my 2nd attempt of all grain to ferment I brewed the extract version again. The new all grain version uses American pale 2-row instead of Maris. It turned out much better, a nice drinkable amber kolsch style ale.

HOWEVER.....

My extract version is now ready to drink and side by side my friends and fellow beer drinkers prefer the extract version.

And to answer your question about suitable dry yeast, maybe Munton's ale yeast would work? Not sure. I love the WLP029, it's one of the few times I use liquid yeast, because most of my brews work great with us-05 or s-04, and my saison and dubbel work great with t-58 and s-33.

While waiting for my 2nd attempt of all grain to ferment I brewed the extract version again. The new all grain version uses American pale 2-row instead of Maris. It turned out much better, a nice drinkable amber kolsch style ale.

HOWEVER.....

My extract version is now ready to drink and side by side my friends and fellow beer drinkers prefer the extract version.

And to answer your question about suitable dry yeast, maybe Munton's ale yeast would work? Not sure. I love the WLP029, it's one of the few times I use liquid yeast, because most of my brews work great with us-05 or s-04, and my saison and dubbel work great with t-58 and s-33.

Going to give this one a try today. I plan on kegging so should i leave in secondary longer (your original primary 14 days bottle condition 14days) since it won't be in the bottles

Brewed this yesterday. had to make a few changed due to what my HBS had

Went with 4lbs of pale liquid extract and 3lbs of light DME and went with German ale wy1007 yeast.

My hydrometer broke while i was cooling wort but a pre flame out test said I was at 1.072OG @ 4gallons after topping off to make it just over 5 gallons I should be in the 1.055 area

How might my changes affect the flavor?

And are the IBUs on this beer only 15?

I agree with leaving in the secondary longer to give it more time. Time does this beer good.

As far as how your changes impact your version, I'm sure it will turn out great. IBUs are low for sure, this beer has zero hop character. My version is essentially a blonde kolsch with some caramel flavor from the malts, which also makes it a deep caramel color.

Arizona goalie,

What temp did you ferment at? Did you add another 5 oz of corn sugar for bottling?

ArizonaGoalie,
What temp did you primary and secondary at?
Did you add another 5 oz of priming sugar to bottle? What SG did you start with with and without the 5 oz corn sugar at boiling?

Looking forward to trying your recipe.

ArizonaGoalie

One last question. Did you use a clarifying agent in your hybrid recipe?

Sorry for the delay in replying....

Pitched the WLP029 directly into the wort

No secondary, primary only

Clarifying agent: irish moss w/ 10 minutes left in boil

5oz corn sugar to bottle condition

Drinking a glass of this that has aged one year since last Thanksgiving. It's really delicious!

I didn't brew it again this year because I decided to do a pumpkin beer.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Back