Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, feel dumb but can anyone point me in the direction of some good laid out instructions for the partial mash/extract version? Thanks

Hey guys, feel dumb but can anyone point me in the direction of some good laid out instructions for the partial mash/extract version? Thanks

This is on page 1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steiner

Sounds good. Any chance of a similar 5 gal extract version?

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

How long do u steep the grain/ wat temp?

I would do it in the 150 - 154 degree range for about 20 minutes in about 2 1/2 gallons of water. Then let them drain in a colander over the pot, then if you want you can put them in another pot with 165 degree water, dip them in there to rinse them, let them drain, then dump that water into the main pot. Or just rinse them while they are over the pot in the colander with the 165 degree water.

I am going to post this in two posts. half way through my pour in my bubba keg (52 oz) I ran out of centennial and finished up the rest by topping off with this and WOW. Half and half of this with cream of three crops is pretty darn good. My favorite between the two is centennial but the combo is a close 2nd.

So, I got 50 pages in, but I haven't seen an answer to the question I have.

The first post states that it can be done with 4 days in primary and 5 days secondary, but I didn't see anyone commenting on having used that same aggressive schedule when they made it.

I brewed this on Sunday (3/31), and having had too many parties lately, my rolling stock of homebrew has been obliterated, so I'd like to get this on tap ASAP. The rest of my keezer build is coming in on Monday 4/8.

I made a few mistakes when I brewed this (my first AG batch), including doubling the hops (was looking at the 10g batch) and only hitting a mash temp of 141 (I ended up deciding to mash for 2.5 hours as a result). My OG came out to only 1.031. I think I've rectified the cause of these problems, but wanted to mention in case it was relevant. I also used S-05 yeast.

So, my questions are:

Assuming fermentation is completed as measured with hydrometer,

1.) Is transferring to secondary necessary? I know there are a lot of opinions out there on using secondaries in general, but looking for input on how it applies to this situation. I don't have gelatin, so I wouldn't be using any.

2.) Is 9 days total too short from kettle to keg?

I'm thinking that, whether I do a secondary or not, I will place in Keezer on 4/9 for 48 hours to drop some yeast out of suspension, and then transfer to keg on 4/11 and burst carbonate.

Thanks for any advice!

The first post states that it can be done with 4 days in primary and 5 days secondary, but I didn't see anyone commenting on having used that same aggressive schedule when they made it.

I brewed this on Sunday (3/31), and having had too many parties lately, my rolling stock of homebrew has been obliterated, so I'd like to get this on tap ASAP. The rest of my keezer build is coming in on Monday 4/8.

I made a few mistakes when I brewed this (my first AG batch), including doubling the hops (was looking at the 10g batch) and only hitting a mash temp of 141 (I ended up deciding to mash for 2.5 hours as a result). My OG came out to only 1.031. I think I've rectified the cause of these problems, but wanted to mention in case it was relevant. I also used S-05 yeast.

So, my questions are:

1.) Is transferring to secondary necessary? I know there are a lot of opinions out there on using secondaries in general, but looking for input on how it applies to this situation. I don't have gelatin, so I wouldn't be using any.

I'm thinking that, whether I do a secondary or not, I will place in Keezer on 4/9 for 48 hours to drop some yeast out of suspension, and then transfer to keg on 4/11 and burst carbonate.

Thanks for any advice!

Personally, I rarely use a secondary. I usually forget the Irish Moss in my boil, I've never used gelatin, I usually cold crash, but sometimes forget...point is, the beer usually clears up fine regardless. In this instance, going for quick turnaround, I would definitely cold crash.

9 days is totally doable. Pitch the correct amount of yeast, and keep temps in line, and there is no reason it can't be ready to keg in that amount of time...maybe less. :ban:

I will admit that sometimes I get lazy and rather than bother with checking final gravity, I'll just let my brews sit in primary 3-4 weeks and then keg. With trying for speed I would DEFINITELY be checking FG...probably starting around day 6 or 7...

So, my questions are:

Thanks for any advice!

I ended up going to bottle after a total of 10 days. 6 in the primary and 4 in the secondary. I agree (after doing it myself) that the secondary didn't add much for clarity. But I still had some activity in my secondary. If I had gone straight to bottle after 6 days, there would have been some massive explosions in my closet. I even checked the gravity over 3 days and it read .012, .010, .010. After 4 days in the secondary, it dropped to 1.008. Good luck, hope the brew turns out well.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

I usually don't check gravity until bottling either, since I'm usually 3 weeks, so I've never actually done it while in the primary. I have a wine thief but the brew is in a bucket. My only concern is letting in air for several days in a row. Is this not as much of a concern as I think?

I could probably mitigate it somewhat by leaving the bucket closed and sticking some narrow tubing through the hole for the airlock and using it like a pipette.

Edit: I think I got my answer from another thread

"Bingo. CO2 is heavier than air, so opening your bucket every once in a while isn't a big deal. That CO2 cushion will keep your beer relatively safe."

I've gone 10 days grain to glass with no secondary for a party- 7 days in the bucket and two in the keg at 30 psi to carb.

It was a bit cloudy but very tasty. We didn't drink it all at the party and it cleared up nicely after a few more days in the keezer

I always use Notty on this beer and turn it over fast when I make it (I upped the grain bill slightly to make it just a bit higher ABV)

I've gone 10 days grain to glass with no secondary for a party- 7 days in the bucket and two in the keg at 30 psi to carb.

It was a bit cloudy but very tasty. We didn't drink it all at the party and it cleared up nicely after a few more days in the keezer

I always use Notty on this beer and turn it over fast when I make it (I upped the grain bill slightly to make it just a bit higher ABV)

Thanks! This is encouraging. In the extract batches I've made in the past, I noticed notty takes off really fast. I accidentally bought the S-05, as I thought that was the required one, but I like this yeast anyways so I'm not too worried about it. Maybe I'll reuse this yeast cake and pitch both notty and S-05 into a split 10g batch for my next brew, if I finish making my keggle in time to do a double batch.

I'm a noob still messing with 1 gallon batches on my stove and doing the batch sparge thing with a mesh strainer.... could I just scale back 80% across the board and expect to get in the ball park? I understand it will be lower efficiency, etc, but I am just looking to get close.

Jints07 said:
I'm a noob still messing with 1 gallon batches on my stove and doing the batch sparge thing with a mesh strainer.... could I just scale back 80% across the board and expect to get in the ball park? I understand it will be lower efficiency, etc, but I am just looking to get close.

The recipe is scalable, so I'd say take a look at either recipe and divide the grain by the total size of the recipe. That will give you your grain bill for a 1gal batch. As for hops, you'll want to scale them down to give you the same IBU's in your batch size.

EG:

In the 5gal recipe it calls for 7lbs of pale malt. To scale that: 7/5 = the lbs of pale malt for a 1gal batch--> 1.4lbs

Jints07 said:

If I were trying to do a one gal batch I would do something along the lines of this:

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
1.40 lbs 80.00 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 75 mins 1.036
0.15 lbs 8.57 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 75 mins 1.033
0.10 lbs 5.71 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L 75 mins 1.035
0.10 lbs 5.71 % Vienna Malt 75 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.05 ozs 11.68 Centennial 60 mins 10.00
0.05 ozs 9.68 Centennial 35 mins 10.00
0.05 ozs 3.89 Cascade 20 mins 5.50
0.05 ozs 1.28 Cascade 5 mins 5.50

If I were trying to do a one gal batch I would do something along the lines of this:

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
1.40 lbs 80.00 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 75 mins 1.036
0.15 lbs 8.57 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 75 mins 1.033
0.10 lbs 5.71 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L 75 mins 1.035
0.10 lbs 5.71 % Vienna Malt 75 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.05 ozs 11.68 Centennial 60 mins 10.00
0.05 ozs 9.68 Centennial 35 mins 10.00
0.05 ozs 3.89 Cascade 20 mins 5.50
0.05 ozs 1.28 Cascade 5 mins 5.50

Thanks a TON! :mug: {shuffles off to go buy ingredients}

And your comment about the IBU balancing just made a light go on in my noob head, thank you.

I brewed this 3 weeks ago and pulled a pint from the keg tonight and it tastes pretty darn good for a light beer. The only change I made to the original recipe was the yeast. I used 1056. I ended up with 4.6% abv. My FIL will really enjoy this. I think some flame out hop additions might be good for this one. I'm thinking .25oz of Centennial and a .25oz of Cascade at flame out would be a nice touch.

IMG_2165.jpg

The guys that have racked this beer on to strawberries, how did it turn out?

I don't have an answer yet. I brewed on 3/16. Racked on top of 6lbs of Strawberries on 3/23. Racked to tertiary on 3/31. I plan on throwing in a keg (or i may bottle) sometime this weekend.

The FG sample after sitting on the strawberries had a fruit flavor, but my taste buds were already shot from the brown i was drinking that night. SWMBO said it was pretty good for a flat beer...

I will let you know Sunday night.

I don't have an answer yet. I brewed on 3/16. Racked on top of 6lbs of Strawberries on 3/23. Racked to tertiary on 3/31. I plan on throwing in a keg (or i may bottle) sometime this weekend.

The FG sample after sitting on the strawberries had a fruit flavor, but my taste buds were already shot from the brown i was drinking that night. SWMBO said it was pretty good for a flat beer...

I will let you know Sunday night.

Thanks, I'm debating doing the exact same thing so am curious to know results.

I brewed this Sunday and the fermenter is pretty striated, cloudy at the bottom, clear straw in the middle and almost transparent at the top. My gravity reading (which was the cloudy color, ported better bottle) was 1.018 which I thought was higher than it should be at this point but I'm fermenting relatively cooly at 60ish with notty in my basement. Should I do anything (warm it up? swirl it?) or just wait it out?

So I had some stuff I needed to use up so I did a bit of changing to this recipe and tried this :
added 1 pound rice for a bit more alcohol ( which did not work out since I accidentally watered the wort down a too much when topping off fermenter ) Came out with 1.044 OG but still good .
I did not have any caramel so I used 1 pound of vienna instead of 1/2 pound .
.50 Cascade 55 min
.13 Northern Brewer 45 min
.25 Cascade 35 min
1.50 Willamette 10 min
Mashed at 147 for an hour and then 150 for about 10 minutes or so . temp dropped down about 1/2 hour into mash for some reason to about 144 so I heated some up and poured it back in .
Hope it comes out good as I was really wanting to do the original but decided to use up old stock and hope for the best.

I want to make a simple, refreshing ale to share with my mother this summer, so I'm going to try a partial-boil extract version of this. This will only be my 3rd batch, so I would love to get some recipe feedback before brew day. :)

Batch size: 5 gal.
Boil volume: 3.67 gal.
Est. OG: 1.043
Est. FG: 1.010
Est. ABV: 4.3%
IBUs: 19.5

3 lbs. Gold LME
3 lbs. Gold LME (late addition)
0.5 oz. Centennial (first wort hop addition)
1 oz. Cascade (0.25 oz @ 15, 10, 5 and 0 minutes)
1 pkg Notty or US-05?

I've kind of stripped this down to a KISS version... The LME I'll be using is Northern Brewer's Gold (same as Briess Golden Light), made from 2-row and a bit of carapils. I read that extract will be a little darker and have a bit more un-fermentable sugar than the all-grain version of the same ingredients, so I thought I could leave out the crystal 10L. Any thoughts?

Hit 1.041 OG and 4.75 gallons for a 5 gallon recipe. I need to work on my numbers a bit but that wasn't bad. Pitched a rehydrated Notty and is resting in my swamp cooler...this carboy is too fat to fit in my ferm chamber, doh!

I made my batch 3 weeks ago. Bottled on Monday. It carbed up pretty quick. This does have a bit of a bitter aftertaste. I dont know what it is coming from. Im very new to brewing. Started about 4 months ago. Have made about 60 gallons so far. What is this Tannins taste everybody is speaking of? Maybe this beer just needs to age a bit more

I want to make a simple, refreshing ale to share with my mother this summer, so I'm going to try a partial-boil extract version of this. This will only be my 3rd batch, so I would love to get some recipe feedback before brew day. :)

Batch size: 5 gal.
Boil volume: 3.67 gal.
Est. OG: 1.043
Est. FG: 1.010
Est. ABV: 4.3%
IBUs: 19.5

3 lbs. Gold LME
3 lbs. Gold LME (late addition)
0.5 oz. Centennial (first wort hop addition)
1 oz. Cascade (0.25 oz @ 15, 10, 5 and 0 minutes)
1 pkg Notty or US-05?

I've kind of stripped this down to a KISS version... The LME I'll be using is Northern Brewer's Gold (same as Briess Golden Light), made from 2-row and a bit of carapils. I read that extract will be a little darker and have a bit more un-fermentable sugar than the all-grain version of the same ingredients, so I thought I could leave out the crystal 10L. Any thoughts?

Hello and good luck with your third brew. I would suggest you keep the hop schedule the same. Mine came out great with this hop schedule. I did dryhop with 1/2oz cascade per 5 gallons for half of my batch, which was very good as well. If you have access to it, use a program like beersmith to program in your lme additions and adjust the first centennial addition to adjust to the same IBUs.

Just started mashing this recipe. 6am what the hell am I thinking lol. This is my second AG brew. Well second brew in general.
Wanna say thanks to all the wonderful knowledge in these forums. I've been doing research about brewing for a month and decided that this and Edworts Haus pale ale to cut my teeth with.

Wish me luck.

Finally did this for my first AG, have never had so much krausen with my extract brews!!! Its only been seventeen hours since it was pitched,I think I can dig this way of brewing :)

I just started drinking my first batch of CB. Followed the recipe closely. I don't get much hops flavor or aroma at all from this. In fact it is a bit bland to me, although there is nothing disagreeable about it.
I just ordered the recipe supplies for the blonde ale from Radical Brewing, although that hops bill seems overly aggressive.

A nice subtle blonde ale should not be too overly hoppy, unless it's what you want. Technically, almost anything falls under the category of an american blonde hybrid ale. If you want it more hoppy, just add more hops. You could go with some cascades at flame out, or simply just up your final 2 hop additions by a 1/2 ounce each. We did that last time with our centennial blonde and the faint, subtle hint of citrus about 3/4 seconds after swallowing was outstanding. The one we have on tap now, we scaled the hop back and have a nice, mellow breaddy mouth feel. If you really overly hop a golden ale, you're just really changing it to a light pale ale. Also, I found that adding a little honey malt (approx 1 lb) really turns it a nice golden color and actually gives it a nice, dry/crisp finish.

Also, we exclusively use the Notty05 yeast with this, IMO it's a perfect marraige for these hops & grains.

I made my batch 3 weeks ago. Bottled on Monday. It carbed up pretty quick. This does have a bit of a bitter aftertaste. I dont know what it is coming from. Im very new to brewing. Started about 4 months ago. Have made about 60 gallons so far. What is this Tannins taste everybody is speaking of? Maybe this beer just needs to age a bit more

sometimes the bitter aftertaste will go away after the bottles have conditioned for a month or so .
If you crushed your grain too fine and it also crushed up the hull then you can get tannins which may have a slight bitter flavor not like hop bitter. The tannins come from the hull mainly . Make sure your hulls are intact , just split in half and the insides of the grain are crushed up . Too hot sparge water or steeping water will draw them out . Do not go over 170.

If you are using AG then perhaps you will want to condition your grain so you can get a finer grind without grinding up the hull . Go here for that .
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malt_Conditioning

Keep in mind that blondes are light on flavor and any bitter is going to stand out more than say on an brown beer.
you may also like to hold off on that centennial addition until later on in the boil say about 20 or 25 minutes if you would like more hop flavor and less of the bitter from it . Still I think your bitter is from the grain since centennial is not very bitter .

I just started drinking my first batch of CB. Followed the recipe closely. I don't get much hops flavor or aroma at all from this. In fact it is a bit bland to me, although there is nothing disagreeable about it.
I just ordered the recipe supplies for the blonde ale from Radical Brewing, although that hops bill seems overly aggressive.

I agree with brewmasterbates . Blondes are low on the flavor side . They do not have all them specialty grains that make other beers rich flavored and thus too much hops would make them quite hoppy like a pale ale . I like mine a bit more hoppy so I like to dry hop blondes with hallertauer or kent goldings or fuggles .

Brewed this yesterday, gearing up for summer. Gravity ended up being 1.044, so I would say that was pretty spot on...Really excited to try it! Thanks BierMuncher!:rockin:

Back