American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any malts that start with cara- are crystal/caramel malts. Caravienna, Caramunich, Caraaroma, carared, cara-amber- all crystal malts.

Amber malt is a slightly darker base malt. The best sub would be biscuit malt or aromatic malt, but crystal malt would be acceptable but different.

Whats funny is that I have plenty of both biscuit and aromatic but used cara-amber instead. C'est la vie :D

Thanks Yooper.

Yooper said:
Any malts that start with cara- are crystal/caramel malts. Caravienna, Caramunich, Caraaroma, carared, cara-amber- all crystal malts.

Amber malt is a slightly darker base malt. The best sub would be biscuit malt or aromatic malt, but crystal malt would be acceptable but different.

Carapils?

Brewed it today with 6 oz. of Caraaroma instead of the aromatic malt. Also added 8 oz. of Carafoam for head and lacing. Pitched US-05, just waiting for it to take off now.

Missed OG by a bit (1.060), but I'm not worried. Can't wait to taste this batch!

SO looks like people have had good luck with this recipe... I have the ability to do a full 5 gallon boil but dont think I have the appropriate size tun to do an AG version. What would the recipe look like for just a Partial Mash?

SO looks like people have had good luck with this recipe... I have the ability to do a full 5 gallon boil but dont think I have the appropriate size tun to do an AG version. What would the recipe look like for just a Partial Mash?

I'm pretty sure it's posted in the thread, but you can simply use .6 pound of DME for every pound of two-row that you want to replace.

Brewed it on Sunday, and fermentation still hasn't taken off. I pitched another packet of US-05 tonight. Crossing my fingers that something's happening by tomorrow morning.

brewed this bad boy up this morning.... efficiency was a bit low though (only my second all grain batch).... got about 62% efficiency with a 1.051 OG reading....

buying today...brewing tomorrow.

edit: too much columbus in the freezer...subbed for Warrior.

Brewed it on Sunday, and fermentation still hasn't taken off. I pitched another packet of US-05 tonight. Crossing my fingers that something's happening by tomorrow morning.

Fermentation finally took off, I've got a 2-inch krausen now and it's bubbling about 3 times per second in the blowoff pail. Can't wait to taste this one!

I have made this 2 times and both times it was fantastic. Getting ingredients ready to make again!!

Last of the ingredients required were picked up, today. Brewing tomorrow evening with a buddy. Here's hoping it's as tasty as both remember from the original :p

Mine's been in the fermenter for a week and a half now. The krausen has fallen but the airlock is still bubbling now and then - there are CO2 islands on top of the beer. It's super cloudy - is that normal?

Mine's been in the fermenter for a week and a half now. The krausen has fallen but the airlock is still bubbling now and then - there are CO2 islands on top of the beer. It's super cloudy - is that normal?

It was a long time ago but I do remember mine being cloudy. It finally cleared up after a 4 day cold crash and some time in the keg.

I just did a tasting of mine (all grain) after 4 weeks of fermentation and 3 weeks of bottle conditioning. Used S-04 instead of S-05 but I followed the grain bill and hop schedule from the OP.

Mine came out tasting very thin and watery. Kind of line BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) but with more alcohol. Fermented at 60 degrees F. Not sure what went wrong as I mashed at a higher temperature 158F because I was going for a malty body. I ended up with 5.25 gallons of wort after boil and my SG was 1.073 and FG was 1.022.

I had a pale ale come out a bit watery - I left it alone an extra 3 weeks, and it tasted much better after that.

Sounds like the flavors just haven't had a chance to mesh all that well. I've never fermented anything that cool, so I can't really comment on that aspect.

I have a batch fermenting away with 1056. Healthy krausen on top and nice hoppy smell :D

Whats the consensus on the yeast and mash teemp for this brew? With all basemalt, i know ill have a hard time keeping this in the upper teens like the recipe calls for. Also, where's the deep color coming from in this brew? Id think that this would look more like a pilsner than a malty ipa without a good dose of crystal

Brewed the extract version today, my OG was off at 1.060. The hydro sample
tasted and smell great, color looks good. I changed the hop additions of the simcoe and amarillo. I add .50oz of each at 10min and .50 oz of each at 0min.

So I was going to brew this up this weekend. I have no access to Amarillo hops anymore due to the shortage. Any recommendations on replacements. I found another post suggesting 3/4 cascade 1/4 columbus as a very close replacement. Any other suggestions?

So I just tried brewing an extract version of this today. I ended up with an OG of 1046 and I'm trying to figure out why. Recipe is as follows:

Title: DFH - 60 min clone

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.5 gallons
Efficiency: 59% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.069
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 6.53%
IBU (tinseth): 60.37
SRM (morey): 9.01

FERMENTABLES:
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (19.8%)
3.3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (65.3%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.25 lb - United Kingdom - Amber (5%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (5%)
0.25 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Columbus for 60 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 15, IBU: 28.87)
0.5 oz - Amarillo for 30 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 8.6, IBU: 12.72)
0.5 oz - Simcoe for 30 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 12.7, IBU: 18.78)
0.5 oz - Amarillo for 7 days, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop (AA 8.6)
0.25 oz - Simcoe for 7 days, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop (AA 12.7)

This was my first time using whole hops. They have a much higher volume than pellets. My guess is that I lost some wort when I strained out the hops going into the fermenter. I made up the volume to 2.5 gallons so this would give me a low OG. Does this sound reasonable? I did some math and looks like I would have to lose ~0.75 gal to account for this OG. I had 1 oz of whole hops added to the boil.

Any thoughts as to have to fix it? I could either leave it go (already pitched yeast) or I could boil 1 lb of DME in a quart of water and add it in. Should bring me up to 1057.

Thanks

Tom

it is also possible that your wort was stratified when you measure the OG...and the actual gravity is acceptable. Sometimes the water added to bring the volume up to the desired level doesn't mix well. The heavier wort remains low....and the lighter partially mixed wort/water is on top. Quite possible to have a very low reading...and everything will mix during fermentation and end up normal

Didn't think of stratification, that sounds like it could explain it. I had ~0.5 gallon water in to start, then added my wort through a funnel and a strainer. Then added rest of the water through the strainer over the hops. My sample thief is short and this is only a 2.5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon bottle. The thief only went in about 3" into the liquid.

This is my second batch using a better bottle as a primary. The last one had a higher than expected og. Could be same issue. Next time I'll mix it up better before gravity reading.

I think this makes more sense than losses due to the whole hops. Loosing 0.75 gallon of a 1.5 gallon boil doesn't seem likely.

Thanks, I feel better now

Can anyone suggest a good substitute for the Thomas Fawcett amber malt? This is gonna be my first all grain recipe. I have available at LHBS: bicuit, caramunich, caravienne, belgian special b, briess domestic special roast 50L, maris otter, victory, vienna, and briess caramel 10-120L. i like my brews to finish a bit dry. plan to use a 2nd generation of wlp001 with this as well

Can anyone suggest a good substitute for the Thomas Fawcett amber malt? This is gonna be my first all grain recipe. I have available at LHBS: bicuit, caramunich, caravienne, belgian special b, briess domestic special roast 50L, maris otter, victory, vienna, and briess caramel 10-120L. i like my brews to finish a bit dry. plan to use a 2nd generation of wlp001 with this as well

:mug:

relaxnrelapsen said:

I used victory, just brewed this weekend. Ill let you know how it turns out.

as this is gonna be my first all grain batch, i need some help on the volumes..
yooper can you elaborate on the volumes during the process, or direct to me to a page that helps?...specifically for this recipe, im wondering how much wort to collect for the boil to end up with 5 gallons in the fermentor. should i check gravity before the boil--does that matter much?
thanks!

as this is gonna be my first all grain batch, i need some help on the volumes..
yooper can you elaborate on the volumes during the process, or direct to me to a page that helps?...specifically for this recipe, im wondering how much wort to collect for the boil to end up with 5 gallons in the fermentor. should i check gravity before the boil--does that matter much?
thanks!

How much do you boil off? If you boil off say, 1.5 gallons an hour, then to end up with 5 gallons in the fermenter you'll need to start with 6.5 gallons at the start of the boil.

I brewed this recipe in early December but just tried a DFH 60 min IPA on tap at a bar last night and I have to say it tastes nearly the same. Mine is a little more hazy but I don't mind. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

image-1508420153.jpg

Can anyone suggest a good substitute for the Thomas Fawcett amber malt?

I just finished this 60 minute recipe, and I've done a few of the 90 minute clones, which also call for the Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt. Since my LBHS didn't carry it either, I tried using Caramel 40 as a substitute, and eventually ordered the TFA online. I must say that while the Caramel 40 tasted good, the TFA matches much more closely to the original. I got it from Farmhouse Brewing Supply.

Back