Huaco's Grain mill project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
UPDATE:
The nature of this thread has changed... it started as a motorized mill thread... but now it is more of a DIY grain mill build project. I'm sure I will motorize this mill somehow... Time will tell...

I stopped by an estate sale today and found an electric 1 horsepower motor. It still works. And... Best part... It was only $10! Looks like I have a grain mill project in my future!

Nice! What type of motor is it...furnace motor? Gear reduction motor? 1HP should be able to chew through just about anything

It is a GE motor. Not explosion proof but I silk just run a fan on it while milling. Will post pix later. Plan to reduce the rpm with shieves.

I ran the numbers on trying to get that motor down to ~300 rpm and it was going to take a HUGE pully to get it done. I will make a polishing station out of that motor and look for another to power my mill. Speaking of mill... I have been working on it.

I was actually inspired by this thread.

So, a while ago, I picked out a piece of 1-3/4" diameter steel from the scrap bin. (yes, the boss said I could have it...) :) I talked to my machinist and we are going to work out a deal with homebrew and maybe some $ for the machining duties.

This is what I have come up with as far as design. The rollers are 1.75 diameter x 6". The adjustment knobs have an eccentric hole in them that mounts the bronze bearing and thus will allow the mill to be adjusted. I have some fine tuning left to do on the adjustment. It actually adjusts way too much right now.

Here it is in full view:
GRAIN%20MILL%20RENDER%20RESIZED.JPG

Here is a view sectioned longitudinally through the driven roller.
GRAIN%20MILL%20SECTION%20RENDER%20RESIZED.JPG

I made a few small adjustments.
- Recessed the flange on the bearings to leave only a 0.020" gap between the side plates and the rollers.
- Adjusted the eccentrics so I get a 0.010" min gap and a 0.190" max gap.

This is still a heck of a lot of adjustment, but if i ever wanted to crack any other non-oily grain it would accommodate it.

Top view min adjustment of 0.010"
GRAIN%20MILL%20TOP%201.JPG

Top view max adjustment of 0.190"
GRAIN%20MILL%20TOP%202.JPG

^^^
Thanks!

UPDATE:
My aluminum stock plates showed up the other day in the mail. I ordered them from "6061 DUDE" on Ebay. He sent me an extra chunk of the 3/4" flatbar for free! My Bronze bushings should be delivered today. I will work on finishing up the shop drawings for my machinists soon. Dang... this is going to be great having a mill!

Latest posts

Back