Partigyle - Imperial & Dry Irish stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
I'm interested in doing a dual-beer day, and it seems as though this may be an easier way of doing this. I'd like to make an imperial stout (and intend to eventually rack it on top of bourbon soaked oak cubes) and a dry irish stout. The fun part is that I have historically bad luck at putting together and tweaking recipes. Any suggestions regarding how to work this out? I have beersmith, but I'm not particularly fluent with it. :drunk:

If it were me I would plug the RIS recipe into Beersmith and follow the program's mash schedule. After you are up and boiling, I would add 8ish gallons to the mash tun and run another mash, let it rest while you finish boiling/racking, and transfer your required wort amount to the kettle. I wouldn't bother trying to calculate the second batch in Beersmith, instead just see how it turns out SG wise.

You could always take a pre boil gravity reading if you wanted to get a better idea of how much hops to use in the second batch

Let me add that I've never done this, just thinking off the top of my head. Others will surely have better advice

I've been in the planning process for something similar for a few months now, so I'm not sure if my advice is the best to follow! What I've been working with is Braukaiser's partygle simulator. I'm trying to use that to get a basic plan of action, then figure I can test the gravity of the second batch and add back a little dry extract if I need to get to a relatively appropriate OG for batch 2. I'm planning on starting with a 3 gal RIS recipe, then following that up with a 5 gal oatmeal stout (adding the oatmeal and another pound or two of base malt before mashing again), so my recipes probably won't help much, but at least the spreadsheet can get you started.

Cool to see this post as I just completed this beast of a brewday. All went smoothly though, a couple of things that may help you.

My idea was for 5 gal of an IRS and 5 of a small sour brown. My system is setup for 10 gal right now so it was just an infusion mash at 1.33qt/lb that gave me most of my first batch and the plan was to use a little of the batch sparge bringing my orig runnings up to 7 gal and then run the rest off into another kettle for the sour brown.

For my first runnings I should have reduced efficiency from my normal batch sparge to around 65% in my brewing software. I wish I would have attempted a mashout but my tun was just about to the brim. 50qt cooler w/ 25#s of grain. I could have reduced my strike ratio to 1qt/lb and had room to at least raise the initial runnings to mashout temps and stripped a little more of that first run sugar.

I ended up with 7 gal of 1.085 wort for the stout and about 6.5 of 1.028 for the brown pre boil. Ive read a few articles on partigyle and the byo one said for an equal volume split expect about 2/3 of the gravity in the first and 1/3 in the 2nd. That is just about dead on in my experience.

So adjusting for poor efficiency for the first run or reducing the mash/liquor ratio is my suggesstion. Otherwise, it was a challenging and therefore rewarding brewday for me with some lessons learned. Now only about 6 mos now to taste the product.

Cheers

Bryan

Back