Coffin Keezer w/ Linear Actuator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zlwags85

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone for all the quality threads and posts on Coffin Keezer’s. I have read a ton of them to make sure that I had a decent idea what I was doing! Hopefully this is one more thread that inspires someone.

This project took me 4 weeks start to finish once I started buying “stuff”. That does not include any time I’ve spent reading other threads / learning. I would have had it done quicker except some personal issues came up that didn’t allow me to work on it much for a week or so.

Budget:
My initial budget was 1,500. This was a project to replace a Perlick kegorator from the 70’s that my wife’s grandpa passed down to me. As far as budget goes… I went over on some categories but didn’t do too bad. I would estimate I have about 1750 in it including all parts and misc. purchases (some which I didn’t really need of course!)

Tools:
I used a chop saw, circular saw, drill, tile saw, and nail gun as primary tools. Had to buy a 4” hole saw (4.5” was 20 dollars more!).

Details:
24” Linear Actuator from Firgelliauto, 10A power supply
Solid Oak trim
¼” oak panels on base
4” x ¼” trim around base (casing)
6” x ½” trim around bottom base
Top trim is 4” x 1”
5/8 Plywood
5/16” cement backing board
3/8” T-nuts to attach top
12” SS drain
Perlick taps w/ all SS shanks / tailpieces
10.2 cf professional series freezer (I think) from Menards
24” RGB LED strip light w/ remote
6 x 3” wheels w/ 110 lb load rating each

Will post the pictures with brief explanations.

If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Thanks!
Zach

Designed in Google Sketchup to visualize and use for measurments

d52c3d27.jpg

After a week or so of hard work had it pretty well assembled for a start

1.jpg

Recessed area for the light strip. about 1/2" added to back with cement backing board and tile

2.jpg

Picture of the back... extra room on right is for the CO2 tank which is on drawyer slides

3.jpg

Back of coffin with all insulation in

4.jpg

I layered the insulation so i could have cut out for the fan and then the gas lines seperately insulated.

6.jpg

Next layer on

7.jpg

The final layer was just a square and then a vertical pice that went over shanks with .5" clearance so air could flow in and out around shanks.

Picture without the freezer one. Can see the piece of wood on the slides for the tank to slide in and out.

5.jpg

Actuator installed and a bit of the gas lines / etc

8.jpg

All of the line now done and cleaned up a bit

85.jpg

Picture of it closed

9.jpg

I used an actuator on my SW fishtank years ago and planned on using an extra one I bought. I think I would have added a bit more support if I thought it would be as heavy as it was using steel bar. Here is a pic of the fish tank when I put it in 2008

DSC_0524.jpg

Bunch of pictures playing with the lights / etc:

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

All I need now is tap handles. Haven't decided what I want to do on that yet....

Looks great! Is it hard to get kegs in and out with the lid only opening part way like that?

Thanks. Getting 1/6 barrels isn't bad at all. The full keg goes in fairly easy empty... but would be a pita full and heavy. Should take a picture from the side. It's open quite a bit... that might not have been fully open with the actuator. It's wired to a rocker switch so I can just open it as much as needed for whatever I'm doing.

I have a Chocolate Raspberry and Irish Red fermenting currently and doing an Oatmeal Stout next weekend. :)

Man, I wish I had put in the linear actuator on mine before I sold it. I really would have liked to have had a chance to work with those.

Back