Secondary fermentation no activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j4mcadow

Reaction score
So I have two batches of brew in secondary fermentation, a rye ipa and a reg ipa. My rye ipa has no activity at all since moving it into the new carboy, there are a few bubbles on top but that is all, no airlock bubbles...nothing. My reg ipa has a nice small head to it and the airlock is still showing activity, should I be concerned with the state of the rye ipa? Instructions say to let it secondary for 4 weeks, is this necessary with so little activity?

Ok it sounds to me like you moved it from the prime to the second? Hopefully you did this after it fermented in the prime. So no activity will show. If your going by your airlock (your going to hear this a million times ...airlock does not show that everything is fermented)
Also it sound like you have two carboys? If that's the case why secondary them? I have only secondaried (if that's a word) once...it was a waste of time. Best advice let them sit for 3-4 weeks min. The beer will clear and the yeast cake adds flavor (ok I'm not sure if this is true but it's my thought)
After saying all that...I'm sure it's fine.

Agreed airlock isn't a sign of activity and you shouldn't see any fermentation in secondary

A secondary is for CLEARING...all fermentation should have occurred before you racked it over (unless you did so to add fruit or another fermentable) therefore the only activity with the airlock should come purely from atmospheric and other disturbances and natural off gassing. Remember an airlock is a VALVE, a vent to let excess gas, mostly co2, escape. It's NOT a fermentation gauge...so whether or not an airlock bubbles doesn't really correlate to anything that can be measured ie, 10 bubbles doesn't mean x gravity points or anything useful, just that it's bubbling, or not.

I like to personally believe in the following equation to figure out the fg from the air lock

FG=£+2*OG-3*#bubbles/min* time it kept that rate+ bs
Where £ is the Amount of beers drank during brew day
Bs is equivalent to how much crap a bull can produce on an all grain diet during may

My IPA's been in the secondary for two weeks and still bubbling. That was 2 weeks in the primary and two weeks in the secondary. Any advice/suggestions on when to bottle?

Back