Cherry Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingzog

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making 5 gallons of stout and would like to add some sweet cherry puree. I have a 3lbs can from Oregon Fruit products. Does anybody have an idea of how much to use?

My gut says none. No offense intended! I would say that you are in uncharted waters, so it really depends on how much flavor you want from the cherries. Are you wanting a hint? or to really taste it?

cheezydemon said:
My gut says none. No offense intended! I would say that you are in uncharted waters, so it really depends on how much flavor you want from the cherries. Are you wanting a hint? or to really taste it?

Uncharted waters? Why is that? Papazian has a recipe for a cherry stout in 'Joy of Homebrewing'- I think it calls for ~5#. Don't have it in front of me, but cherry stouts aren't that rare, right? I'd add the whole can. I would expect you to get a noticeable but not overpowering cherry flavor. Usually the quide is 1# per gallon, not sure for puree, I've only used fresh cherries.

kingzog said:
I'm thinking of making 5 gallons of stout and would like to add some sweet cherry puree. I have a 3lbs can from Oregon Fruit products. Does anybody have an idea of how much to use?
everything i have read conerning fruity brews calls for 1 pound of fruit per gallon of beer.

Be sure to use a 6.5 gallon carboy for this if its a 5 gallon batch.

My mistake! I love stouts but have not come across any cherry stouts as yet. How long does it say to boil the puree?

I think the puree in a can is pretty clean if not sterile - it is canned after all and canned stuff lasts forever(almost). If you're adding it to the primary or secondary( most advise this to avoid boiling off aroma and maximizing flavor), I think sanitizing the outside and can opener and dump it in. If you add it to the boil I think it only needs to be in for a couple minutes. I don't boil fruit.

I'd use about 5 pounds, thats what I used for my cherry wheat and it turned out well. Like landhoney said, the contents should be sterile, just make sure the outside is sanitized.

Back