Cant find leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Beer gets and stays carbonated but a 5lb tank is lasting only days. Full fill started at 850psi, quick carbed now down in the red after only 3 days. I did the soapy water test on the connections but saw no bubbles. my first tank kicked before a 3 gallon keg. WTF?

fill your kettle take the tank (on) and regulator in it head first, if you don't see bubbles you just eliminated that leg.
next check the distribution manifold and eliminate that leg.
then take the keg and put the top in the water.
if there is a leak you should find it.
most leaks are at the regulator to tank or o-rings on the keg

Still nothing. Could it be the beer distributor not filling it all the way? Not like they have any way of checking, it's done when the larger tank stops hissing. Usually only takes 5 seconds.

The tare (empty) weight of the tank should be stamped on it, so you can weigh the tank to determine how much gas is in it. So, at the least, next time you get the tank "filled", weigh it.

As for the leak, the suggestions already provided are sound, and they cover everything from CO2 cylinder to keg...

Cheers!

Still nothing. Could it be the beer distributor not filling it all the way? Not like they have any way of checking, it's done when the larger tank stops hissing. Usually only takes 5 seconds.

just for reference, my 10 lb fill lasts right at 6 months and LOTS of kegs. there's a problem with the connections somewhere

my 5lb bottle is lasting 2-3 months, carbing and serving 5-6 kegs. I think I've a leak somewhere but can't find it.

It's been recommended to check the chimes, but I have thusfar been too lazy to do so.

Also for reference. My tank is in the red as soon as it gets cold in the fridge.
Make sure it is actually empty.

Easy way to locate leaks in your system...

Charge the entire thing to ~30 psi, and listen...
If no hissing sounds, pull the gas locks from the kegs and turn off the tank.
Check the regulator an hour later. If it's not moved, check it again in another hour, or in the morning. If both gauges haven't moved, you're leak free (24 hours is the ultimate test).
Every time you alter your gas configuration, charge the entire system to ~30 psi and listen. Then turn off the tank valve and see if the high pressure gauge starts dropping.

If you keep the tank in the fridge/freezer, the high pressure gauge will read lower. It will still dispense the same amount, you'll just get a lower reading on that side. I keep my tank out of the fridge (more room for kegs that way).

I did have some leaks that the above methods helped me to hunt down and eliminate. I had to tighten up the worm clamps on the gas lines to eliminate them. Not a big deal, just be careful to not go too far there.

I used the same method on the 20oz tank and regulator setup I have (charged to 30psi and waited).

I would also make sure you have the small plastic items on any manifold fittings you have. Unless they're tipped so that you don't need those of course. I quickly discovered forgetting to use one of those the last time I altered the setup. Easy fix, just gave me face-palm... :D

If I'm losing a full tank in three days shouldn't the leak be obvious? Also, is there something I shouldn't put under water to fond the leak? Everything was purchased from Keg Connection pre assembled.

You can put the gas locks under water to see if you have leaks either from where they connect to the posts (the fitting there) or at the hose clamp side. Charging the system and turning off the tank (with the gas locks off of the kegs) will help. I ended up turning off manifold valves to ensure they were leak free one at a time. You can also shut off the manifold valves to see if the leak is before, or after, the manifold...

On a positive note, once you find, and eliminate the leak, you shouldn't need to worry about it again for a long time. Or until you change the setup/configuration.

BTW, I couldn't hear any leaks at serving pressure (10-12psi). But when I cranked it up to about 30psi, you could hear it leaking...

Tape everywhere, pre assembled by Keg Connection. It's a fact that the place I get the bottle filled has had problems with their tank. For those of you filling not exchanging how long does it take to fill a 5 lb tank?

Everything but the regulator in the bathtub. Find leak and take a bath, two birds one stone!

Weigh the tank right after filling, tare weight plus 5lbs = what it should be on the scale.

Still working on my first 5# tank... Have three kegs connected to it (two 3 gallon and one 2.5 gallon). Even with leaks I'm still in a really good place with the CO2 level. I expect to get several kegs from the 5# tank, both carbonated and served. I'm actually about to get a regulator (also from Keg Connection) that will allow me to feed two pressures to the fridge. I'll install my second bulkhead, and a new 2 port manifold, into the fridge. Then I'll be able to have up to three kegs on one pressure and two on another (can only hold four kegs, so I could do two and two with ease).

Did you put the small plastic items on the manifold valve fittings? You don't want metal on metal in the system. That will cause leaks.

Not sure what you mean by plastic things. The manifold was already hooked up to the gas lines.

Tailpiece washer should go on any fitting that's MFL that's not treated so that you don't need one (threaded ball locks are typically configured so you don't need one). Inside the swivel nut, you should see one. If not, then you have metal on metal and gas will leak out (no matter how much you wrench on it).

I ordered 10 with my kegging setup. I've since picked up about 10 more from the LHBS to make sure I have plenty on hand (I had used almost all of my original order). At $.25 each, it's insane to not use them where needed.

I have pin lock but all the MFL ends have that plastic piece fixed to it already. Some of the connections to and out of the manifold didn't have tape so I did that. Guess my next step is submerging and refilling the bottle yet again and see if I'm getting 5 lbs. Off to bed now, attempting to ride my first Century at 7am. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Back