Belgian Tripel Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3787
Yeast Starter
3000 mL
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 70F
Additional Fermentation
60 Days @ 40F
Grain:
13 lbs Pilsen (1.6 SRM) 80.00 %
1 lbs Munich I (7.1 SRM) 6.15 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (20.0 SRM) 1.54 %
2 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) 13.11%

Hops:

1.50 oz EKG[5.10 %] (90 min) (FWH) 23.4 IBU
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] (45 min) 7.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] (10 min) 2.3 IBU

Misc:
1.00 gm Grains Of Paradice (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 gm Corriander (Boil 10.0 min)
5.00 gm Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min)

Mash:
60 min @146.0 F
30 min @ 156.0 F

Notes:
OMG, this one came out wonderful. Dry and spicy. Just the way a Tripel should be. Let this one age 1.5-2 months and give it a little extra carbonation...

I assume the 1gram of each of the spices and 5g orange peel is correct ?
Im amazed such a small quantity is enough. Ive not added spices to a Dubbel but I use 30g corriander in a Wit.
Looks tasty.

I assume the 1gram of each of the spices and 5g orange peel is correct ?
Im amazed such a small quantity is enough. Ive not added spices to a Dubbel but I use 30g corriander in a Wit.
Looks tasty.
Amounts are correct. The yeast is spicy in it's own right. I just like to accentuate it a bit. Don't want to overpower the yeast...

Was wondering (I've never used it), how long do you boil the candi sugar? Also, could you include some details on the mash. I am fairly new to AG, could you use some pointers. : )

Thanks.

I put my sugar in with 5-10 minutes remaining in the boil. I use 2 qts water per lb of grain for my mash (I use a RIMS). I mash at 146F for 45 minutes then ramp to 156F for 60 minutes. If you do an infusion mash I suggest Beersmith or Promash to do some calculations for you. This will help get you close to dough-in and step up water temps...

What is RIMS?

I put my sugar in with 5-10 minutes remaining in the boil. I use 2 qts water per lb of grain for my mash (I use a RIMS). I mash at 146F for 45 minutes then ramp to 156F for 60 minutes. If you do an infusion mash I suggest Beersmith or Promash to do some calculations for you. This will help get you close to dough-in and step up water temps...

So your total mash time is an hour and 45 min? Also, Beersmith is automatic in saying that the sugar be boiled for 60 min. 5-10 min is sufficiant?

I made a 2.5gal BIAB batch of this back in March. Let it ferment at 68* for about a month then crashed it down to 34* from May until yesterday when I bottled it. Hit an OG of 1.08 and FG of 1.01. Tasted great before bottling and has me very excited for the final product. Thanks for the recipe.

This recipe is intriguing. Do you think a recipe like this can be done via BIAB? My kettle is 42 qts.

Any beer can be done using the BIAB method as long as the kettle is big enough. Can you kettle hold 14-15 lbs of grain? If not you can always sub out some of the pilsner for some DME which you can add after the grain is removed...

I want to try this one soon. Tripel's have me intrigued lately. I'm drinking a Short's Evil Urges so that probably has something to do with it.

I may do this one Thanksgiving weekend, we shall see...

I know this is an old thread but the recipe looks good. I only have a cooler mash tun so should I do a decoction mash 45/60? The fermentation schedule reads: 14 days @ 65˚ - 60 days @ 40˚ and then secondary 14 days @ 70˚. I'm new at this, but does that mean you let it sit in the primary fermentation vessel for 74 days before racking to secondary? I didn't think it was a good idea to let it sit in all that trub for that long, but again I'm a newbie - I don't know. Just asking before I try this.

I know this is an old thread but the recipe looks good. I only have a cooler mash tun so should I do a decoction mash 45/60? The fermentation schedule reads: 14 days @ 65˚ - 60 days @ 40˚ and then secondary 14 days @ 70˚. I'm new at this, but does that mean you let it sit in the primary fermentation vessel for 74 days before racking to secondary? I didn't think it was a good idea to let it sit in all that trub for that long, but again I'm a newbie - I don't know. Just asking before I try this.

That fermentation schedule just makes no sense at all. I would never cool off a Belgian yeast. It could cause it to stall. Just pitch it in the mid 60s and let it free rise. 3-4 weeks will be fine and then bottle it. Secondary is pointless. You can let it condition in the fermentor for a bit, but I would just bottle it and let the bottles sit before trying one

Also, that recipe seems a bit off too. No tripel should have munich in it.

That fermentation schedule just makes no sense at all. I would never cool off a Belgian yeast. It could cause it to stall. Just pitch it in the mid 60s and let it free rise. 3-4 weeks will be fine and then bottle it. Secondary is pointless. You can let it condition in the fermentor for a bit, but I would just bottle it and let the bottles sit before trying one

Last statement is not true. Read Horst Dornbusch's book.

Why wouldn't you put Munich in it? In fact the tripel I'm brewing this weekend has a lb of 10L.

This was this year's recipe. I think it's my best one...

Yeast: Wyeast 3787
Batch Size: 5.0 Gallons
Pre Boil: 7.5 Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.003
IBU: 27.0 (Rager)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 4.1

Grain:
10.5 lbs Pilsen 78.5 %
14 oz Munich 6.5 %
2 lbs Beet Sugar 15.0%

Hops:

1.00 oz EKG [7.00 %] (75 min) (FWH) 12.4 IBU
0.75oz Crystal[4.20 %] (60 min) 10.6 IBU
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.00 %] (10 min) 4.0 IBU

Misc:
3.00 gm Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min)
0.60 gm Corriander (Boil 10.0 min)
0.30 gm Grains Of Paradise (Boil 10.0 min)

Mash:
60 min @148 F
10 min @ 168 F

Fermentation:
Primary: 21 Days @65F
Secondary: 14 Days @ 70F
Tertiary: 60 Days @ 35F

I can't wait to give it a try. Do you have any suggestions on mashing with just a cooler mash tun?

Back