hitting the FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faber

Reaction score
How important is it to hit the FG of a given recipe? I've got a batch in the secondary that is now consistently reading 1.018 for four days (it's been in the secondary thirteen days). The recipe calls for an FG of 1.012.

I'm inclined to leave it the secondary for another week anyway, but if the gravity remains at 1.018, would it be OK to bottle?

Thanks

BOOM.... It's not a mile away but it could start again once in the bottle and on top of the primer it could cause problems.

I'd be tempted to stir it and keep an eye on the temperature along with leaving it longer.

What was the OG of this batch?

Yeast strain? Temperature?

I'd like to be able to look at the attenuation before saying "go ahead and bottle."

Recipe called for an OG of 1.042, which I hit.

The yeast was Munton's ale yeast (dry). Never using dry yeast again. Already have a starter growing from a White Labs culture.

The temp has been consistently 68-75.

The gravity is still reading 1.018. (I sanitized the hydrometer and just let it float in the secondary.)

The help is appreciated, folks.

Cheers

If you don't hit it, you should at least slap it around a little. Try keeping the temp around 70 and gently swirl the fermenter to get some of the yeast back in suspension. You're still too high to risk bottling. Check your hydrometer with water also to ensure it's reading correctly.

wow. I brought the temp of the room down a touch (from 72 to 70) and today, just as I was prepared to swirly gently, etc., it is active again. Airlock popping about once every 45 secs or so: a very reassuring sign. Now I suppose I'll just leave for another week.

I see why monks were good at this: it takes unearthly patience and trust in something you can't see.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Back