Wort Loss During Blow-off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanerator

Reaction score
Hey all, just did a batch of Russian Imperial Stout, I use a 1" blow off system and it got pretty crazy, looks like about a 1/2 to 1gallon wort loss, is there a certain time I can replenish this or is it just gone? Thanks,, Deanerator

I would just take it as a loss. I wouldn't want to try and add water or anything as you might infect or certainly dilute the beer. Foam overs happen all the time and the best way to combat them is to buy a bigger fermenter.

I would just take it as a loss. I wouldn't want to try and add water or anything as you might infect or certainly dilute the beer. Foam overs happen all the time and the best way to combat them is to buy a bigger fermenter.

that is indeed a sad thing:( I thanks for your quick response Ewalk02!!!:rockin:

Yep, its gone.

A cheaper way to avoid this much blow-off in the future is to use foam control drops/fermcap-s. Magic stuff.

When you go to bottle, boil the priming sugar in the half-gallon you want to replace, put it in your bottling bucket, and rack onto it...

Ive run into this type of thing before, but this time I saved .5 gallons in a sterilized growler (to much left after boil to fit in to 5 gallon glass carboy). Could I add it to the fermenter to regain the loss? I guess I could re-boil (the .5 gal ) and let it cool before adding it to aviod contamination. Or would it be better to wait until I keg and rack it in together? Just a thought.

Back