Sweet Fruity smell from the fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
So I brewed up a batch of Scottish ale on friday, it began fermenting in less than 24 hours. I've been smelling it though and it has a really sweet fruity smell that does not resemble beer in the slightest. It has mostly been in the upper range of the fermentation temperature for the yeast (the sticker thermometer on the carboy has read 68-70 for most of it, but now Im keeping it cooler at like 66 in hopes that that will help the smell) and Im wondering if my beer will turn out fine, or if it will be fruity, and if that possible fruity taste will be bad.

recipe:

7 lbs. Light liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Liquid Extract 83.18 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.68 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 70L (70.0 SRM) Grain 6.68 %
2.1 oz Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 1.74 %
2.1 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 1.74 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) Yeast-Ale

Many english strains always smell fruity/bubblegummy to me. Don't worry, that's not what your beer is gonna taste like. It only lasts for a few days while a lot of CO2 is being released.

66 is a better temperature to ferment at IMO, but you'll still get the smell.

66 is a better temperature to ferment at IMO, but you'll still get the smell.

The temp in my house is all over the place, Thanks to Colorado weather and being too poor to keep it at 68 all day. I bought a heater that fits around my carboy for when it gets cold at night, but it gets too warm. I need to come up with a good temp. regulation system.

Get a large Rubbermaid container from walmart for like $10 and a aquarium heater for $10-15 and make a water bath. You can keep it pretty constant that way.

Back