Absopure Spring Water for Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reshp1

Reaction score
Anyone use Absopure Natural Spring Water for AG? I'm planning on using this on my first batch this weekend. (They come in 3 gal plastic jugs that look like better bottles, which I'll be using as carboys for smaller batches since I can't boil more than 5 gals yet). I can't find a water report on their website, and I'm set up to do PH measurements/adjustments yet. Anyone know off hand if this water will give acceptable results? I'll be doing a coriander wheat, grain bill:

7lbs Domestic 2-row
6lbs Wheat Malt
8oz Carapils 10L
(couple handful of rice hulls)

Should I put some 5.2 in there just to be safe?

Any water will mash differently depending on the grain bill. Spring water should have a balanced and relatively low mineral content and should mash well for most light, pale, or amber colored beers. I think you'll be OK. If you're all set to measure pH, then you'll know when you mash I suppose. Do you have acids, etc. on hand to adjust if needed?

To confirm whether or not they are better bottle type plastic bottles look on the bottom at the recycle symbol it should have a 1 inside or near it. And or it will say PETE or PET.

clayof2day said:
If you're all set to measure pH, then you'll know when you mash I suppose. Do you have acids, etc. on hand to adjust if needed?

Actually I don't have PH test equipment yet either. I'll probably get the water chemistry additives at the same time. I did get a bottle of 5.2 with my order though, how well does that stuff work?

It works well 99% of the time. With spring water it should be great. Only in extreme situations (off the charts water, or extreme, extreme [usually dark] beers) will it fail. Understanding water is one of the last things people recommend getting into. Make sure your processes are done first, but I think its kind of fun, and from practicle experience, it helped me undserstand why all my stouts tasted like an ash tray. Chapter 15 really helps.

abracadabra said:
To confirm whether or not they are better bottle type plastic bottles look on the bottom at the recycle symbol it should have a 1 inside or near it. And or it will say PETE or PET.

I went and got them today, they say both 1 inside the recycle symbol and PETE under it. The downside is they have a significant blue tint to them, but other than that they should work fine for fermenting.

Back