First time kegging question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabe91281

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question for you I just put my first brew in my keezer. I put a milk stout at my question is how do I force carbonate this I have it set to 30 pounds per square inch right now. About how many days should I let it at this also what would I move it to when it's ready to drink from what I've read 2 to 5 pounds is this correct??? Thanks guys for all your help this site is fantastic!

If its your first kegged batch, I would mostly do a set and forget method (see temp/psi/carb volume charts). Set to 10 psi if you want light carbonation, and more like 13-14 if you want med/hi carbing. Wait 2 weeks. It will taste better anyway on week 2 from week 1.

If you are set on force carbing, you do risk overcarbing. 30 psi for a couple of days, pull pressure ring, and reduce to 12 or so for another 4-7 days.

2-5 dispensing pressure sounds low. Your beer will start to go flat. I dispense at my set and forget temps mostly (10-13 psi).

If you're set on fast carbing, I also can't be of a ton of help... I'd say 24 hours, no more, then shake the keg, purge, and put it on 10-13psi and you should be good. I'm with solbes, set and forget at serving pressure never fails.

I'm not in a hurry to do this so I'm not really sure why I was trying to do a fast carbonation I'm going to go with what you said what the set it and forget it for 2 weeks and leave it at 10 PSI and then I will turn it up when it's time to serve to what you said around 12 to 13 leaving it set for another 2 weeks why only help the beer right

Plus for a milk stout I think I want like carbonation rather than heavy carbonation

Quick one- so you can dump like. 25 or 30 psi then pull pin a day later or so and purge all the co2 then hook back up for a low amount? Is that what's recommended? Love this, always learning,......

I had this all morning at 30 psi and kust lowered it to 10 psi . I didnt want to mess anything up. Ive been looking forward to this milk stout for three weeks! I guess i can wait another two....good things come to those who wait! I also didnt use any priming sugar . I wanted the co2 to do the work for me . Was this correct? Also my co2 tank is 5 lbs about how long will this last on two taps?

I'm not in a hurry to do this so I'm not really sure why I was trying to do a fast carbonation I'm going to go with what you said what the set it and forget it for 2 weeks and leave it at 10 PSI and then I will turn it up when it's time to serve to what you said around 12 to 13 leaving it set for another 2 weeks why only help the beer right

I think you're still slightly missing a key point here. "Set it and forget it" literally means to set the beer at your serving pressure and forget about it. If you're going to serve it at 12 or 13, then set it there now and forget about it and it'll carb up there just fine.

On the other hand, if you're looking to set it to 10 now because you want it less carbonated, then DO NOT turn it up to 12 to 13 when it comes time to serve. 10psi will serve just fine. And, in fact, setting it to 12 to 13 when it comes serving time, unless you get crazy about bumping it up to serve and then bumping it right back down again, will carbonate the beer right up to that 12-13psi level, given a couple days.

Agree with strats above. 10psi (depending on beer temp) will give a light level of carbonation. 2.3 volumes at 40F. This is within style for a sweet stout.

13 will usually be well into the medium carb levels, 2.6 volumes at 40F.

Back