Need help with a power supply for this pump..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy a power supply with a higher amperage rating with no problem. The pump will only draw the current it needs from the power supply. Just be sure the voltage and minimum current rating is ok. It appears to me that a 2 amp 12v power supply will work just fine.

It is quit okay to use a 12V 2A (2 Amp) supply. In fact it is better to have extra current available rather than use a 1.2 Amp supply since the bigger 2A supply will run cooler and arguably be more reliable.

Switched mode or linear mode should be fine. Switched mode is typically more efficient. An old computer power supply may or may not work, some computer power supplies will not operate if say only the 12V is loaded; some of them are funny about wanting load on some of the other voltages as well from being plugged into the motherboard.

What specs was the supply you used? I have a slightly different pump, also from Topsflo that calls for 12V, but was curious if 18 or 19V works since I also have an old laptop supply

What was the rating of the power supply you used? I know the pump says 12V, but I am curious what the power supply specs were that look to work. Thanks

My brother in-law and I purchased similar TS5 pumps. We are constructing variable voltage power supplies and a control box. Once we are done with the project I will post pics and materials for all.

While the pump is actually rated from 3-24vdc the power supply that we are using will provide 3-20vdc which will allow us to regulate the flow. Overall, the control box will be able to run each pump with 2 amps available if the current is needed.

The only parts we are still waiting on are digital volt meters from ebay so we can monitor gallons per minute vs the voltage input.

More to come!

My brother in-law and I purchased similar TS5 pumps. We are constructing variable voltage power supplies and a control box. Once we are done with the project I will post pics and materials for all.

While the pump is actually rated from 3-24vdc the power supply that we are using will provide 3-20vdc which will allow us to regulate the flow. Overall, the control box will be able to run each pump with 2 amps available if the current is needed.

The only parts we are still waiting on are digital volt meters from ebay so we can monitor gallons per minute vs the voltage input.

More to come!

Any update?

Back